Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rear axles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 8, 2019.

1. We have all seen the charts with the widths of different make rear axles and they really help when try to determine what will work under the car you are building, but is there a make that you prefer over all the rest?

I found one that I really like for Deuces, the 66-77 Ford Bronco is a the perfect width and the bolt pattern is 5 on 5 1/2 , I like the fact that it is the same pattern as the early 40 Ford front drums. HRP

3W JOHN, sidevalve8ba and dana barlow like this.
  2. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

3. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Now days it's fairly EZ to find the list of sizes and brands,to make pick for your needs. And lots of rims too pick also.<But some get stuck on the idea of using what ever rim already have !
    In the late 50s,I had two things that were key,#1 what can I find free ,and #2 what is the strongest one of them.

! There was no worry about how wide,we just made sure to get rims with a off set or in set, to put the tire were it would work,some times that made you need to move the rim center over. So the rear I could find for free in 1959 was a 50 Olds=very heavy duty,plus had what we now call truckarms stock,making it EZer to mount. Some years later I sold rear to a drag racer,an used a 65 Mustang that was free.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    3W JOHN, alanp561 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Nine inch Ford out of 57 half ton pickup.
    To my knowledge, the widest of the nine inch housings and I still had to add an inch to one side due to my wheels having so much backspace.
    20170326_094304.jpg

5. Joel W

Joel W

8 3/4 Mopar, the one out of darts and dusters (A bodies) is about perfect width for 28-34 cars and stout too.

flyin-t, 3W JOHN, caseywheels and 3 others like this.
  6. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

I've got a 67 Bronco rear put back for an A model, would be good for a 32 also.
    But to be honest, the days of junkyard scrounging are about over. The last few years I raced , I used Speedway Engineering. You call them up, give them the measurements you need and they build it. You can get the housing width you want, bolt pattern you want, floating axles, gun drilled axles, quick change, you name it, they build it. Yeah, it comes at a price, but to me it was one place I got what I paid for. YMMV. Good luck.

7. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I've had good luck with the early mustangs.

8. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

So why do most people think they really need a 9".

9. Finding old (pre 65) usable stuff in a junk yard is rare.

It’s the absolute most popular, most mentioned, most after market support.

Monkey see monkey do.
    Monkey hear monkey want.
    Good for one monkey good for next monkey too.

Because of the popularity and aftermarket support it’s really nice to be able to get exactly what you want. And a fella could have a few easily swapped out gear ratio chunks on the shelf. change your mood and change your gear ratios

10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Because they run HEMI's :cool:

3W JOHN, scotty t, Hombre and 3 others like this.
  11. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

31Vicky, agreed. After-market support is there. Monkey see Monkey do. I know a handful of hotrodders where an 8" would more than suffice, the duties required of their cars.

12. I used a 8" Mustang rear axle under the wagon, I use a 9" under the Deuces primarily because the size fit's perfectly with no alterations and bolt pattern is the 5 x 5 1/2 so the early wheels fit and match the spindles up front.

I have been building hot rods for almost 50 years and during that time I have amassed several spare rear axles. Bronco, Maverick & Mustang.

Granted the junk yards are drying up but there are still parts cars to be found. HRP

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    3W JOHN, Hombre and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree fully. It is the same as the T-5 argument, you can shred them behind a strong engine and a heavy foot, they will last fine and give many a cruising mile in a more friendly environment. I plan to drive my shop truck pretty hard, I chose a fine splined, posi, 9 inch for that reason.

Back to the topic, I went with a narrow rear end at 56.5" (out of a maverick prostreet). I am going to run (probably) artillery wheels and I will have custom back spacing done to center my tires/wheels without spacers and allow for some pretty large tires in the back. In case you don't know, TRU SPOKE (yeah, those guys) offers artillery wheels with custom spacing per the chart below. $15 per wheel for custom spacing.
    upload_2019-5-9_11-57-7.png
    Good thread HRP. I did a lot of research before I invested in that rear end. Nothing ruins the look of a car faster than having the tires either hanging out of the fenders or looking like they were swallowed up in a cavern.

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

If an 8 inch rear axle is all you need then you need more horsepower!

15. The Ford 8" is torque limited, which is why Ford almost never used it behind anything larger than a 302 (they did use it behind some 351s shortly before the motor disappeared in passenger cars, but these were badly smogged and down on power). The pinion bearings are what's suspect. They'll hold a pretty hot 289/302 though and use the same 28 spline axles as the 9".

These days, I'd give serious thought to the Ford 8.8... Doesn't have a removable pumpkin, but it's nearly as strong as a 9", lighter, and there's a zillion of 'em in the yards for cheap.

3W JOHN, mrharley51, Hombre and 3 others like this.
  16. I’m a big fan of the 8.8!
    The explorer unit is not light, FAR from it.

17. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

8.8 is my choice,
    Cheap and available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and jimmy six like this.
  18. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

To me it is what I have and meets my needs. I have a 12 bolt, 9 inch, 10 bolts and my 8 3/4 3:55 Suregrip out of my 1970 Duster . I did trade my quick change. :oops:

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  19. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

DANA44 from a CJ5 is a good choice, narrow and has 5/5 1/2 flange.

20. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any width!
    Any bolt pattern!
    Any ratio!
    Any Questions?
    Close the Thread :D

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    duncan, 3W JOHN, alchemy and 6 others like this.
  21. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Gave up on junkyard rears 20 years ago. Used to call Currie and now I call John's for a nice clean new housing and 31 spline axles the right width and bolt pattern for each individual project. Not much more money than I had in junkyard rear by the time I sand blasted, de greased, shortened and resplined them. Plus they're delivered to my shop without any running around.

22. The first rearend I ever changed was when I put a Mustang 8inch under my deuce coupe. It fit well and its not a drag racer so I didn't need brute strength. I liked the Ford 8inch ever since. I put a 9inch under my 34 pickup but thats because I had a 57 Ford parts car and the fit was perfect. Both the 8 and 9 inch gives the popular Ford/Mopar bolt pattern. I would like to find a Bronco 9 inch but those are as rare as hens teeth.

23. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That chart that you find everywhere on the web is a good start, but there are several errors in it, you still need to measure to make sure it fits your application. I’ve related the tale of the too narrow 4 lug Mustang II that was in my car when I got it, I set my tires under the fenders after I had yanked it out and measured from wheel face to wheel face to get an idea of what I needed. I wanted a 60” wide rear, but few were made, I settled on a 59 1/2” Fairlane 8” because it was local and it was cheap. Next wheels will have a little different spacing to get the look I want. A bonus to using the 2:79 Fairlane 8” was that not only did I have the 3:55 MII Gear set, I also had an optional Maverick 3:00 set, so I could play with the gearing.
    I like the smooth look of the old 8” and 9” rears, but the 8” is fine for a cruiser like mine.

24. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8.8's have widths down to 56-1/2" and lots of gear options especially with OD transmissions...They also have a better pinion placement for resistance. I used 11 x 2-1/4"" F-150 brakes on mine.

3W JOHN, bchctybob and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  25. Because they have the ratios that everyone thinks they might need.

3W JOHN, Montana1 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  26. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Easier to find in the salvage yard...

27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I haven't seen one in a yard in over a decade.

28. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Still a lot of them here in the midwest. Salvage yard in the next small town over has at least 30 of them, I have walked that yard for years. Hardly any 8" though. No Mustangs, Mavericks, Granada's or other donors that the 8" came from.

29. Vans and pickup trucks ?
    Great big ones that need narrowed and axles
    Or early broncos that just work

30. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Big trucks, the Bronco stuff is pretty thin here.