Register now to get rid of these ads!

Duffy - 1950 Monk/Adams Bridgedeck Cruiser

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by RainierHooker, May 2, 2018.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Oh. My. God. I want a ride in that thing soooooo bad.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Thanks @Ryan if you are up in the Pacific Northwest, shoot me a line and we can take her for a cruise.

We spent a long weekend taking Duffy to the Olympia Wooden Boat Fair...

IMG_3931.jpg

Its a nice little fair put on by the local Wooden Boat club and the City of Olympia and is generally considered the opening day of the boating and summer season in the South Puget Sound. There were wood boats of all types going back to 1909...

IMG_3936.jpg

Since Duffy was made for cruising and camping, we left a little early and spent Sunday night and Monday morning off of Eagle Island State Park

IMG_3965.jpg

IMG_3988.jpg

IMG_3982.jpg

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. Latigo

Latigo

Ah! The joy of wooden boat ownership. Beautiful work of art. When we lived on the coast we made the Port Townsend show an annual event.

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Oh wow is that ever a beauty. Unbelievable. Great work.

6. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

More boat camping over memorial day weekend...
    IMG-4412.JPG

IMG-4315.JPG

IMG-4397.JPG

The things you occupy yourself with when unencumbered with modernity; I pulled out the One-Shot and lettered my life-ring...

IMG-4429.JPG

IMG-4431.JPG

7. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

The size of that and the beauty , WOW.

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The level of my jealousy is beyond recognition.

9. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

If you live in the middle of the country, buy a camper. If you live in this corner, you buy a boat @Ryan

Don't be too jealous. My carefully curated thread highlights the good stuff and leaves out the bad. Like when my battery-charger decided to have a meltdown over the weekend forcing me to spend a good portion of my 'relaxing' time rewiring.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  10. brasscarguy

brasscarguy
    from seattle

A number of years back after my divorce, I purchased a 42' Monk/Grandy built fly bridge cruiser. I spent 2 years cruising the San Juan's. Mine had been repowered with 2 V-8 Internationals. I spent nearly 8 months just island hopping. On Fridays I went down to Roach or Friday Harbor to get some socializing. Then after the weekend warriors left the islands the locals had their would back. The entire 8 months I only refilled my tanks once. The beauty of spending time there is the short distances between most of the islands. Most have anchorage that is free or very reasonable.

My Monk was custom designed for a man 6'4" and all below deck areas had lots of head room. Grandy was a high class builder on Lake Union and all work was outstanding The original owner was from Alaska and the interior was finished in Alaskan Cedar which brightened up the cabin spaces. There was a stateroom forward, a grand salon and an aft master cabin, tons of room and very comfortable. Been sorry ever since I sold it.

I envy your time on the sound and that very special Monk designed boat, they are a special breed.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

11. Just came across this. That is one super nice boat, glad to see it is good hands.

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  12. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Beautiful boat, for those not familiar with the islands in the Puget Sound, it is an incredible place.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  13. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Built a new console top to remove the 1990s abortion and return it to the original design...

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

IMG_7396.JPG

IMG_7397.JPG

IMG_7416.JPG

14. raven

raven

Wow. I love these old wooden cruisers. My wife and I have often thought about abandoning our cabin in the country to live on a boat full time.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

15. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

16. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

In my “A” I have the Chris Craft push pull switches. My headlight switch is one of them and the bezel reads navigation. I used a 32 truck dash that houses vintage Stewart Warner gauges in a 1/4” bronze dash out of a 30’s Garwood boat.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

48fordnut likes this.
  17. NoSurf

NoSurf

How's the ol' girl doing? Any adventures planned for this year?

Great job on the "dash"!!!

18. LBCD

LBCD

She’s Gorgeous!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

19. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

How cool is this? Many thanks for sharing.

20. SigDog

SigDog

First off, thank you so much for loving and maintaining this boat. This was one of many built by my grandfather in Seattle. Do you happen to know how many Adams built boats are still around? Our dad moved out of state years ago but my brother and I are still in the area and would love to track down some of the boats to show our families. Thanks again, the Duffy looks beautiful.

41 GMC K-18 and 48fordnut like this.
  21. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was a pleasure to read all of this thread, all of this is right in my back yard, we are about 3 blocks from the canal boat yard, and I just retired from Foss maritime Co. Which is right on the Ballard ship canal. Kudos to you for saving this great vessel, I know what it takes to keep one of these afloat, BOAT = " BREAK OUT ANOTHER THOUSAND "
    Thank you for sharing all of your wonderful pictures.

Dennis.

My back yard.
    Ballard Ship Canal.JPG

alanp561, NoSurf and 48fordnut like this.
  22. NoSurf

NoSurf

I hope Duffy is doing well.

23. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Wow I know this is an older thread but hottdamn that's a cool boat ! Thanks for sharing w us.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hotdoggin DaddyO likes this.
  24. NoSurf

NoSurf

Any updates?

25. I know it's on the hard currently. He's finishing up a huge refurbishment. I think he practically rebuilt the whole boat! Very impressive to watch on Instagram.

41 GMC K-18 and 302GMC like this.
  26. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Just came across this old thread whilst looking for pictures of Duffy to illustrate a conversation I was having at the bar down the street from the boat yard…

@NoSurf there are a few years worth of updates. Both on the water and as @Hitchhiker has eluded to much on the hard.

Since I’m on the boat tonight, in the yard, with nothing keeping me company besides a gin and tonic and my phone, I guess I can start uploading photos and do a proper update…

standby folks.

41 GMC K-18 and Okie Pete like this.
  27. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

So let’s go back, way back to the last time I updated this thread. That was right after I had retired from the Army and, with nothing better to do, I used my GI Bill to enroll in the Traditional Wooden Boatbuilding Degree program at the Northwest School Of Wooden Boat Building. Shortly after starting the program I moved Duffy from my hometown of Tacoma to Port Townsend. For the two years I was in the school, I would commute up to school on Monday morning, live on Duffy during the week, and drive back home on Friday evening. During the winter months Duffy was moored in one of two marinas in port Townsend…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

…and during the warm months Duffy was moored on a rented buoy that was a 15 minute rowboat journey to school:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To complete my journey into another world, my only other source of transportation around the area was my ‘53 Ford Customline:

[​IMG]

28. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Of course all moorage, dingy commuting, school, and Customline a makes Evan a dull boy, so there was much cruising with the family during days off. Port Townsend being smack dab in the middle of the north puget sound’s cruising grounds made that all the easier…

[​IMG]

One of our long-weekend trips’ itinerary:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

To top it off, the Port Townsend Sailing Association made us the “committee boat” for their weekly sailboat races during one summer. That means that we set up the course and were the start and finish lines for the races…

[​IMG]

and we made it to the Classic Yacht Association’s Rendezvous on the Seattle Waterfront:

[​IMG]

30. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Of course, there was work being done throughout this period. Over the course of a few months, in the evenings after school I rebuilt the interior soles (that means floor in boat speak) replacing the dodgy 1990s carpet, non-marine-plywood, and poor quality framing…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

…with properly sized, notched and fastened Yellow Cedar beams and carlins, Mahogany plywood panels, and period correct marmoleum edged in stainless steel:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]