Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ever feel like calling it quits from the hobby?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RICKY~RICARDO, Mar 25, 2013.

1. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Sometimes, I sit down and contemplate the amount of time, effort, and especially money I have spent on cars, tools, etc, etc, etc. It's only then I realize, I have't spent enough money yet! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

2. fordflambe

fordflambe

3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like someone's tag line on here a few years back that said something to the effect "If I had all of the money back that I wasted on cars in my lifetime, I could buy more cars". 'nuff said.

Ned Ludd and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  4. No, never, not. Its in my blood.
    I came from a car family.
    It's like being in the mob.
    If you're in it from the start....you can never get out.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  5. topher5150

topher5150

I'm the opposite I want to spend all this money, but I gotta buy my wife insulin and insulin pumps

Sent from my XT1254 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

jazz1 likes this.
  6. Budget36

Budget36

I think about shit canning everything, everyday, until I walk by whatever heap I have up on stands, taking up way much more room than it deserves...and I have a beer in my hand and think..."ya know, after I do XXX and XXX then some XXX, it'll be a lot closer to driving"...then I usually start doing something on the heap and remember why I've always done things like this..it's like playing golf...if you want to play well, you stay focused on chasing that little ball around fr 4 or 5 hours...you think of nothing else, not your job, your kids, the wife, problems you have, etc...

So 4 or 5 hours on one of my heaps is free therapy for me.

7. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

In 2007 I got frustrated with the "bolt together" folks, quit and sold my hand built '34 Ford pickup.
    PIC00018.jpg
    Now in 2017 at the age of 78 I'm building again. I guess it's an incurable disease....
    IMG_1125.JPG
    Oh well!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  8. Budget36

Budget36

You're a time capsule Phil!

Is it done yet? :)

Just kidding ya on your typo, all in good fun...but thinking about it, if Marty McFly was tooling through the area in that DeLorean...never know!

9. You mean, besides right now?

10. Hombre

Hombre

Phil, and a damn cool project it is too. I love those old tall T's. Don't let those "bolt together" folks get you down again, you got a car to finish...

11. What's ironic is Ricky,the member that started this thread must have ultimately decided to call it quits,he has been MIA for almost 2 years. HRP

RICKY~RICARDO was last seen:
    Nov 28, 2015

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  12. TWKundrat

TWKundrat

Never. I'm always telling my brother that when I die he needs to get a dozer and dig a big trench to throw my ass in along with all my cars and tools and cover me up. Kidding of course. I'd want to pass them on, but I can't imagine a life without my tools and some ongoing projects.

firstinsteele and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  13. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

Almost every time I'm working on something I think this is the dumbest hobby ever.
    Then I lie awake at night and think about whether I should put a cam in the Y block, or squeeze a hemi in the 39.
    Then I get up and google image search induction setups for engines I don't own.
    And then I'm tired at work and think, "This is the dumbest hobby ever."
    Rinse, repeat.

Sent from my LGLS992 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Nope. Never. I'm compelled to do this.

15. NO NEVER ! I started building models, and loving {Hot Rods} as a kid. And they been a part of my life ever day since. When I get too old to drive my Hot Rods. I will just go back to building my models again. Lol ;) And I'll just sit in the old coupe and enjoy all the memories. Ron...

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    Hank37, chevy57dude, jnaki and 2 others like this.
  16. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

My son John started out the same way, customizing models, and went on to cars. Now he works at SALTWORKS in Sarasota, FL. Check out their Facebook page.

17. Hombre

Hombre

I think a hell of a lot of guys do in fact quit, that is why there are so many unfinished projects. Some folks just do not realize what a pain in the butte this can be. I sometimes go for long periods of time were I feel like I am getting nothing done.

What I have found, and think it might be a good idea for many folks, is I always have a car to drive. There are more driving and unfinished cars than you can shake a stick at. Maybe the interior is not done, or the body still needs work etc. If you can get into it and just go for a drive, visit some like minded people and do a little bench racing and shot the shit some it helps. You can come away from that revitalized and ready to hit it again. While I do not do the car show thing at all, I do enjoy the cruise in's. Setting on the fender of a car, your car, finished or not helps you get back into the pile of bones back in the shop.

Just about any of "US" can find a drivable car that you can use now, while you are working on your project. when the project is up and done you can flip the driver if need be, or maybe use it for your new project and just trade places with the other one. Looking out of the shop and seeing that car you can get in and actual go somewhere in gives a guy a whole new prospective.

18. jazz1

jazz1

Old thread but we have busloads of Americans coming to Canada to fill their prescriptions at a discount. In the good ol' USA a vial of insulin that costs $300 is only $30 here. I knew our drugs were lower priced but I had no idea how much...

19. If there is a cure I don't want it! :D HRP

Unique Rustorations likes this.
  20. town sedan

town sedan

Been a car nut since before I can remember. But, after 26 years in the auto parts business and the last 19 years at new car dealerships I've come to hate cars. Not on topic cars for the HAMB, but late model gadget laden abominations that wouldn't start no matter what without more computing power than we landed on the moon.

Glad this thread came back up, I feel a little better now after expressing my true feelings about the industry I chose to work in.

What Hombre said above about needing an old heap for driving while slowly collect parts for my long wanted (since jr high school) roadster project makes too much sense. In fact I've found myself thinking very similar thoughts lately. Of course getting my '60 Fairlane driving would seem logical, it only needs transmission work and maybe a new distributor, not to mention what ever else it might need after sitting for the past 17 years.

Anyway thanks for listening and maybe I should look for a job in the plumbing supple, or grocery store business...,
    -Dave

Unique Rustorations and The37Kid like this.
  21. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

22. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am fortunate. Instead of a vacation home, I built myself a nice shop and have been able to collect a few nice cars. Now that I'm retired, I have some to choose from to drive and always have a project in the works. Years ago, Buster Henderson coined the phrase, "mood car"....I work on it when I'm in the mood. So, my 49 Buick is my "mood car" right now. I thought I was finished with my 41 Plymouth but there are "issues" to be dealt with.

town sedan and The37Kid like this.
  23. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

WELL YA COULD CHECK YOURSELF INTO THE HENRY FORD CLINIC !!!!:rolleyes::cool:

24. Tell Lucy I’m in it to the end!

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

town sedan, j3harleys, raven and 3 others like this.
  25. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

Wintertime sucks. Hopefully now that spring has finally sprung you'll go out and get some enthusiasm. I spent a small fortune on the garage and really haven't set foot inside all winter. I think this is pretty common if you live in a colder climate and your garage is like a refrigerator.Just hang in there

26. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

if i get that way i just buy another project.

Hombre likes this.
  27. And do what? Golf. Fish. Jog
    Crap no

28. southcross2631

southcross2631

Took a forced break from working on my car due to a heart problem. Doctor said I could play golf ,now I have a pinched nerve in my back from playing golf and heart doctor tells me I can work on my car again. Now I get to work on my car with a bad back.
    I have quit the car hobby at least a half dozen times, but it is harder to kick the habit than drugs.
    Started when I was 12 and I am 70 now and still hooked.

town sedan and j3harleys like this.
  29. Rich S.

Rich S.

Not me, I’ll never quit. I like to learn and a day never goes by without learning something about the hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hombre and Unique Rustorations like this.
  30. TERPU

TERPU

Quit Nah. Not in my DNA.

What would you rather do? Booze wear off (hangovers are just awful), Hookers get tired of you (I hear VD is a bad thing?), Drugs just accelerate an already bad mental state, the bank account runs dry, your shopping cart gets a flat, and your depressed and waiting for it all to end. But I guarantee you the first real Hot Rod you see will drag your ass back into this before you can sputter Vrooooom!

Well ok, maybe this is just how bad I have our disease, but it all makes sense to me. You do you and it'll all work out.

- Tim

Hombre, j3harleys and raven like this.