Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest How do you old farts do it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by topher5150, Apr 28, 2019.

1. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Back in grade school when I first started learning about baseball Satchel Paige had already been pitching for many years and was for the St Louis Browns then. One of his many quotes grabbed my attention, has served me well since then, and still does - "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you"

Ed

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are certain adjustments to be made and precautions taken to avoid certain "situations".

j-jock and Deuces like this.
  3. vetteson

vetteson

HERE, HERE!

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  4. vetteson

vetteson

The other night they didn't know what an intake manifold was...

Deuces likes this.
  5. jeffkau

jeffkau

Can someone write me a note to remember to respond to this post. Lol not crazy old ,but I have lots notes so I don't forget all the things I need to do this week.

6. Deuces

Deuces

Lol.... :D

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. I am quickly approaching 76, and was diagnosed with a bone marrow cancer thirty one years ago, (in control but not in remission), a painful autoimmune disorder, and low cortisol, caused by the drugs to control the autoimmune condition.
    I have been in constant pain since 2000, sometimes to the point that it is incapacitating. The doctor wanted to put me on the heavy duty narcotics, and I said that I would never go there because that is a one way trip, and I have things to do.
    I did my research, bought CBD, and it worked a miracle for me. I have to use it every day, but it beats killing the liver with the massive amounts of painkiller I was using. I can't work in my shop every day. but if I can move, that is where you will find me. I was going to build my new 2000 square foot garage, but have decided that I deserve to get it done. My pal of over 50 years agrees.
    I get up every day with the idea that I am going to be grateful and happy. If I am not both of those things, what in the hell is the point of hanging around.
    I can make plans, but I can't plan the outcome.
    Never stop looking for another way to get something done.
    Bob

8. I found this cartoon that says it all. All the help I can get.jpg
    Bob

chryslerfan55, Deuces and Montana1 like this.
  9. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Ok Ok so I still watch the Daisy Dukes.....I'm not that old!

10. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Some days, it feels like the end of a “bashing each other”, rugby game that was very close. It is all aches and pains. But, that is how we treat our bodies. Whatever we used to do in our younger years, football, basketball, rugby, surfing, desert motorcycle racing, all beat up our bodies, to our heart’s content. We had fun doing it, enjoyed every minute of it and look back at all of the good times that keep the memories going these days. Now, we pay the piper…

But approximately 30 years ago in the surfing heydays, it was noted that surfing and paddling are not the best thing to do for your back. So, it was a rigorous 50 crunch sit up, 25 push up, 10 minutes of stretching daily until our old joints came back from inactivity. In learning about crawling under, leaning into the engine compartment, taking off those lug nuts, various nuts and bolts, makes an extra strain on the lower back. But, constant sit ups every morning make up for the fact that your body need a balancing effect in front to strengthen the back in all activities.

So, for the last 30 years, there has been little back aches or pains, unless it was a direct contact with a cabinet corner, being slammed on a flat water surface after falling from the top of a 10 foot wave, or being shoved, pushed and tripped in a raucous ½ court basketball game. You can’t be prepared for everything, not even walking down some stairs.

Even changing the spark plugs or oil isn’t the same after the activity is finished. Detailing a car is a whole new ball game these days. The common strains are just something that takes a lot longer to heal. The lower back takes up a lot of activity strains, so one must be prepared.

Jnaki

But, just because we are 70+, the years of young adventures back then have and will take a toll on that old creaky body. Injuries these days seem to take longer to heal. Remember those swollen knee injuries back as a teen or 20 something? They were irritants for a couple of weeks and then it was back to body bashing activities again. These days, we are all taking a lot longer to heal from those same types of teen/20 year’s injuries. The healing, in addition to those odd aches and squeeky noises when sitting or moving about, plays games with the brain, too. What the &^%$

Yes, even cleaning out every cabinet, drawer, tall closets and boxes of garage crap takes its toll on the old guy. Just because it is activity we have been doing for years, but it is the unexplained…“Old guy just came in…” It is a good thing we only have a small two car garage, plenty of time to get things back in place, and time for a good nap.

Well, we are not the oldest in the house...there is a 91 year old little doggy that follows us around as if we are his lifelong "pack." He is also slowing down from those 7 year activity days and can't take long walks in the neighborhood or nearby harbor. So the three "old amigos" live to see another day.

11. My father is 78 years old, in that time he’s built a cabin, 6 hot rods ( my F-100 included) , worked 28 years at as a freight truck driver, and contributes to 2 ( yes, 2) car magazines. That and he always has time help others. At 46, I can only hope to even half the man he is.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I take after my mum in that I've never had a lot of energy to spare. I'm 56 but I wasn't any more energetic at 28. People find some of my personal habits eccentric but it's my way of working around that; that and pathological absent-mindedness. If it weren't for the fact that my constitution is like an old Series Land-Rover, which squeaks and rattles but somehow keeps going, I'd have been dead long ago.

My dad turns 84 next month and he was always a live wire. He gets enormously frustrated having to get by on the sort of energy levels my mum and I have always managed to get by on. At least my mum no longer has for the sake of her nerves to keep him from climbing on the roof to do this or that every few days. But he'll never build the '48 Chevy he always wanted, nor the MG TC, nor the Alfa-Romeo Giulietta Sprint. It's sad to see.

13. I like the line that Jack Palance used in the move City Slickers. There is one secret to life, but it is that you have to figure it for yourself. That statement gives us the power to look inward and find the strength we need. It definitely helps to find people that are experiencing the same or similar situations in life, and use them as a good, or a bad, example to improve our own outlook, or to help us look in a new or different direction.
    Henry Ford, among others, said,
    "If we believe it is possible, it is"
    "If we don't, it isn't"

I use as my driving philosophy, that I haven't failed until I give up, and I am not found a situation yet where I was willing to surrender. I just have to work a lot more slowly, but I keep going in the right direction.

Bob

Deuces likes this.
  14. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

IMG_0923.JPG

Deuces and Montana1 like this.
  15. Ford fans like to attribute the statement to him, but it has been said in many other ways, before Henry is known to have used it.
    Bob

Deuces likes this.
  16. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Well sure. There's nothing new under the sun, I just thought we should quote him with a little more precision, that's all.

chryslerfan55, Deuces and LAROKE like this.
  17. leon bee

leon bee

Here's another possible benefit to being about 70. My cars, I've always been a pretty laid back driver......ever since I sobered up, anyway. Not so with my motorcycles: always been something I can't control, I always have ridden too fast. Take a lot of chances and scare the crap outa myself. Brit bikes and ironhead sportsters, thank god I never had a modern crotch rocket.

Well, that's fading away somewhat. Due to terror of modern traffic, I'm starting to see the appeal of just riding along placidly, looking at the scenery and having a rear view mirror.

LAROKE, blowby, chryslerfan55 and 4 others like this.
  18. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Well, the reality is, that at a certain point I won't be doing anything.

19. trollst

trollst

What gets me is days like today, move the travel trailer, only to see some water coming out underneath. Get screw gun, lay on my back three hours removing underbelly, to find nothing wrong, good thing. Now my shoulders hurt like hell, will be worse tomorrow, but I'll walk around like a 28 year old, pretending I'm fine. Wish I was 28 when it didn't hurt.

Deuces and williebill like this.
  20. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

iwanaflattie...
    Clint's face says it all in that clip...LOL

In town one summer day and an old guy all bent over and moving slow and I kinda merged on the sidewalk.
    I said, "I'll race ya."
    He said. "Hah!...I didn't know it was gonna be THIS bad!"

21. frank spittle

frank spittle

When I was young and stiff from overdoing something I would frequently hear "you look like an old man". Today, when I am stiff from overdoing something I hear nothing.

Deuces, trollst and blowby like this.
  22. I'm 74 and still want to be racing my FED like my Hero Elmer Snyder was, before he passed on he was 90 and still beating me..... I wanna be 90 and still racin ........

Deuces, Montana1 and j-jock like this.
  23. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Hey Carl, the "Pit" rained out this weekend. Spot me four cars next weekend, and I'll nobble Elmer's car when Dick ain't looking. ;)

Deuces likes this.
  24. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

I was 80 when I started the roadster, Now 86

25. gene-koning

gene-koning

Really, what other choice is there? Either we do it, or someone else does it, or it won't get done. In this day and age, there are way too many people that are expecting someone else to do things for them.
    I intend to do as much as I can, for as long as I can. Some days I can do more stuff then I can on other days. You take the good days along with the bad days, and hope we have another chance to try again tomorrow. Gene

trollst, X-cpe, chryslerfan55 and 5 others like this.
  26. I find getting down on the floor to work on the car is just as easy as when I was 30. Getting back up I look 80, so I'm still averaging 55...:D

Deuces, RidgeRunner and wicarnut like this.
  27. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gravity can be a bitch, can it not? You just described gravity better (and simpler) than my junior high science teacher.

milwscruffy, Deuces and RidgeRunner like this.
  28. 42˚18'N 83˚09'W

42˚18'N 83˚09'W

I was raised on a farm, played hockey, raced motorcycles and in general beat the hell out of my body for many years. Now I'm pushing 74 and still going. My mother (God bless her) was always trying to run my life (She was a travel agent for guilt trips) so I never much listened to her advice except once. She said "Use it or lose it" and for some reason that always stuck in my head and she was right. I still get lame at the end of the day but I still do all my own maintainence house, cars, yard everything so I have to thank her for that piece of advice...

Fabber McGee and Deuces like this.