Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 32 cabriolet that was in same Spokane family 75 years now DRIVING with 425 GS Buick engine!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hamtown Al, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_4403.JPG IMG_4404.JPG
    This hump thing ain't going too smoothly.:eek:
    Prior to getting back into the hump mode; I hooked up the speedometer with a cable I already had and it looks like it will work. Can't wait to find out!;)
    IMG_4405.JPG Do to my dissatisfaction with the original hump mods; I'm exploring an alternative solution.;)
    I knew that saving that old transmission hump for 20 to 30 years would pay off!;):D:D
    Still adding trans fluid but close to first gallon completed.:)
    Hump thing still bugging me so might just work on locating seats on new floor while I think more about the hump.:)
    Opportunities!

catdad49 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. loudbang

loudbang

Whew for a minute there I thought you had a trans explosion and wrecked your new trans cover. :rolleyes:

Hamtown Al likes this.
  3. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Spent yesterday and today painting the new floor and installing the hardware to attach seats. Also did more wiring and found that new relay that is supposed to activate the accessories fuse panel is defective.:eek: Took a while to figure that out as first time ever had a new one fail.:( Also made a few runs to parts store in search of radiator hoses that might work after drilling the bottom of the new radiator for mounting to chassis. Radiator support rods modified earlier seemed to still be correct but haven't put hood on.;):eek:
    IMG_4413.JPG The top hose was easy... just cut some off each end.
    IMG_4412.JPG The bottom hose was a challenge and I think I looked at every radiator hose at Oreillys.:eek:
    Brought 3 home and returned two.:) It was still difficult and there might be something better but I think this will get the job done.
    IMG_4414.JPG The above is what I did NOT use from the original hose used on the bottom. I asked but they said no refund for partial hose returns.:D:D
    I'm gonna post this hose stuff on the Buick school thread, too. Might keep somebody else from having to go hunt radiator hoses.;):)

catdad49, Bam.inc, gonzo and 2 others like this.
  4. ...................................It was worth a try, Al.:D;)

Bam.inc, loudbang and Hamtown Al like this.
  5. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

How does that old saying go about one step forward; one step...?
    I put water in it this morning and all went well for a pretty good while. Then I notices a drip at what I thought was the bottom of the top radiator hose. I tried tightening the hose and it was super snug. Must be thermostat housing not tight. One bolt was quite tight. When went to snug up second bolt I remembered earlier problems with the original bolt wringing off. I took eons of time to carefully get the old bolt out and carefully cleaned the threads using a metal pick and a tap to ensure was clean and installed a new bolt but didn't test the limits of the housing.
    Well, when I went to snug that bolt up, the damaged threads gave up and my drip became a small waterfall!:eek:
    The good news, I guess, is that the bolt hole extend all the way through the housing. I went to hardware store and bought several longer bolts that were threaded all the way. The plan was to run longer bolt all the way through and boost the holding power with a nut on the backside. Good plan but not enough room to get a nut under the emerging bolt.:oops::eek: I then carefully ground and filed down one side of the nut to allow it to locate correctly under the bolt. That did it but not overly pleased with the result but it does seem tight. I put some more water in it and decided to let it sit while I came in here to vent a little about my latest "opportunity!";):D
    IMG_4415.JPG If you look carefully, you can see the new bolt and the nut on it below the front of the alternator bracket. I hoped the nut would pull up to the housing but apparently I didn't remove enough material. I thought it had pulled up because it got super tight. Only realized nut was down the bolt a bit after I finished tightening it.
    I'm debating whether to rework it so the nut would hopefully be against the housing where the bolt first emerges from the bottom of the housing.
    If I have more water:eek: when I get back to the garage, I guess the debate will be settled.:D:D
    Opportunities!
    Hope everybody else's day is going better.:)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  6. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_4416.JPG
    It runs!!:):)
    Started right up on first try! It was loud in the closed up shop!
    Still much to do but it was great to hear it running in the car. It was supposed to work but it is just not the same as actually hearing it!
    Very Happy Al:):)

7. Excellent!...Happy for you, Al.

loudbang and Hamtown Al like this.
  8. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_4417.JPG IMG_4418.JPG My super fabrication guy made a panel for me to use as a start. He made it based on my homespun engineering... and guesswork!:eek::D
    I'm whittling and banging it into shape to do the job. Not there yet; but I think clearly on the way.
    Yeah, I know I missed a spot at the bottom of the picture!:eek::D:D
    Started it again... I had to! Gauges look good except tach but think I might have overlooked regrounding it.:eek:
    Got to slow that idle down big time... too fast and thus too loud!;)
    Opportunities!

catdad49, loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_4419.JPG Took drawing for top of trans hump to fabricator today but might take a few days he said. I cut down the plastic box that surrounds the shifter. Also made mount to hold the trans filler tube. Also did things like tighten up the motor mounts, recheck gas lines and vacuum lines. Tach problem was the mechanic!:eek: Dummy hooked tach feed to positive side of coil... should be negative side.:( All the rest of the gauges seem to be working, too.
    Main puzzle now is that the car very quickly will go up to wide open when starts!:eek: A couple fellas tell me that I have a vacuum leak that is causing that but I can't believe it will rev up like that with the throttle not being touched.
    To add more mystery, I took the engine out of the Gran Sport, where it started and idled normally, and put it in the 32 without touching the carbs, distributor, etc. I hooked up cable gas pedal but made sure it wasn't holding any tension. I did put a plug in one port of a vacuum fitting but I sealed all vacuum fittings with Teflon paste.
    I've never had anything like it. I ran12v to electric choke from fuse panel whereas I had it temporarily hooked to the coil in the Gran Sport.
    I'm scratching my head.
    Help!

10. frank spittle

frank spittle

I'm sure you've checked the choke fast idle.

11. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I think I've found it! It seems the secondaries on the primary carburetor are stuck somehow. I've got it off and taking it back to my carburetor guru later today. This is about the most weird thing I've had happen.
    Frank, I even disconnected the electric choke and any electrical input to the switch pitch and passing gear kickdown.
    Hopefully carb man will bail me out!;):)

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Happy, happy day!!:):) It starts and idles smoothly!;)
    My carburetor man looked at carb and found nothing wrong so he very graciously offered to come to my house which was over an hour away.:) When finished the job he was on, he called to say he was on the way.
    I had put the primary carb back on it. RPM took off again when I started it but it stopped at about 3,000 rpm; versus going up to 4,000 and then quickly to 4,400 which is red line for the big Buick.:eek:
    We removed the front carb and he tweaked on it but didn't find any major problems.
    After reinstalling the carb it got better but it really got much better as he was tuning the primary carb and adjusting the advance.:)
    He said the throttle response was excellent and the engine sounded great. It was reassuring to have an expert offer that opinion.;) Dang guy wouldn't take any money for the visit.
    Happy Al:):)
    Now, back to the hump!:eek:

13. ..............Guys like that deserve a case of their favorite adult beverage. :)

14. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^Good idea, Don! Dummy me didn't think to inquire about possible preference.:eek: I'll do some research.;)
    I also had to redo the gas cable as some dummy had cut it too short!:eek::D:D
    I went to hardware store and good some appropriate sized return springs for each carb as the carb guy suggested.
    IMG_4422.JPG
    It is great to actually start the car using the gas pedal and everything!:D:D
    I also got the second panel to make the top of the trans hump from the fabricator today but didn't get time to do much with it today. Tomorrow is another day!:D
    Get the trans hump done and install that shifter and we can see if it will move!
    That big Buick sure is loud in a small shop!:eek::D
    I'm already thinking about the pipes. I want to include some cut-outs if we can reasonably work them into the plan. I'll probably never open them... but then I might!;):D:D

15. Looking great, Al. I know it must sound good. I would give some thought to replacing those return springs with double coil springs before driving the car too much just for the sake of safety. Proud of you for the consistent progress you are making. ....Don.:)

loudbang likes this.
  16. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Thanks for the kind words, Don. The spring lengths needed for this application exceed the limits of the standard double springs that are available. I am concerned about that area and will continue to look for a better solution. I'm thinking a second spring on just the front carb will give added safety as both carbs are directly connected.
    Thanks for the safety concern and advice... that is part of what makes the HAMB so great.;) The more eyes the better for safety and well being of our members and others as well.:)

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_4429.JPG I got the back of the hump mounted and continue to make progress on the front of the trans hump. The best news is I've trimmed the console to fit the hump and have mounted the shifter! I'm leaving in the morning to go to a rod run with some pals so there won't be much progress for the next several days.:eek::D
    We're getting close... well, closer!!;)

18. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Today was the day!;)
    IMG_4461.JPG Here it is right after I drove it out of the garage and around the block.:)
    IMG_4464.JPG Hope y'all can see the "Gran Sport" above the license plate.;):D:D
    Dusty but goes!
    Very Happy Al

19. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_4465.JPG I'm giving my granddaddy's body hammer a workout but I think the front of the hump is finally coming together.
    It dawned on me that my grandfather was likely using this same hammer, or one like it, 100 years ago. Wow! He was the true old time body man. He normally fixed it with what you brought him and little else... except considerable skilled labor.
    I'm still tickled from successfully making the maiden voyage with the big Buick for power.
    Another chapter is added to the car's long history of being a hot rod since 1942.
    I'm honored to be the one adding to the history.
    Still Happy Al:D

20. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Good deal!!! Now to sort out any bugs, then go for ice cream!

21. Mart

Mart

Hey that's great. I like to use old hand me down tools as well. Every time you pick one up, you think of the person it came from.

22. Thrilled for you, Al. Man that had to be a great feeling. Exciting for sure!.........Don.

23. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Thanks for the kind words. It really was exciting... and everything seemed to work, too!!;):D:D
    Today I began the tweaking. First off, the engine angle had the carbs off about 5 degrees so I reworked the trans mount to get it down to about 2 degrees. That is the good news. The bad news is I had to relocate the mostly jury rigged trans cooler.:eek: I still am not crazy about the trans cooler but it is working and I reworked the mount to be much more substantial.:) I had to get the engine and trans angles finalized before I take it to the pipe shop.;)
    Of course, I'll have to get my trailer inspected first!:(:D
    I loved firing it up this morning and moving it to the lift.:) I also loved not having to crawl around on my back on a piece of cardboard in the mess I made.:)
    With it on the rack it is much easier to visualize where the pipes might go. It looks like I'll have plenty of room.
    More to come.
    Thanks for your interest.
    Al
    PS Look for those pipes soon as I want to go riding!!

24. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

hotrod-wiring1.jpg
    Since my efforts to hook up the trans electrical in the stock manner failed, I decided to hook up the trans as recommended above by the Buick guru in CA; Russ Martin.
    I may go back later and research the trans wiring later but for now I wanted a working situation where I knew what was happening.:)
    I'm hoping to take it to the pipe shop Friday.
    My carb man called me back today and said the original 5 degree angle of the carbs should work fine so I may reinstall the heavier trans support to gain more clearance for the steering and exhaust on the passenger side.
    One step forward...:eek:
    Met a bunch of the boys for breakfast this morning and my video of the first time the car moved under its own power and then around the block had their full attention. All were happy that I got it this far. Of course, being true pals, they immediately started ragging me on just when it was going to be finished!:D
    I didn't tell them but I suspect that while the Buick installation may one day be completed; I doubt the car will ever be truly finished... just like it should be!!;):D
    Still working Al

25. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_4466.JPG IMG_4467.JPG After I re-raised the back of the transmission with the much stronger crossmember that I removed earlier; I had nearly completed redoing the transmission cooler mount when I got to looking at things. I wondered about moving the trans cooler location again! I did some measuring and thought it might work so I set about relocating the trans cooler and it worked. Not the prettiest installation and it may still get replaced with another cooler but for now I think it will do the job. It is close but everything I've done to shoehorn the big Buick into the 32 has been close.
    The trans does not touch the cooler and the trans mount is not going to flex at all. The cooler might bounce but I really doubt it. I still added a small bit of foam cushion tape at the lowest point of the transmission pan; just in case!
    Now to go get the trailer situation squared away to take it to the pipe shop Friday.
    Workin' Al

26. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_4469.JPG Another first! Didn't try to spin tires just wanted to try a quick launch.
    Got trailer inspected and will load car tomorrow... maybe after another spin around the block!;):D

27. Now you're just showin' off, Al.:D;)

28. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^Dang, Don! This thing is gonna be fun!!!:D:D
    No offense intended.;):D:D

29. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_4471.JPG [/ATTACH] Gave it somewhat of a bath. Mostly just to get the crud off.
    IMG_4473.JPG Profile and, of course, the following from the rear that shows the "Gran Sport" above the plate.
    IMG_4474.JPG I was afraid someone would tell Don so no showing off today.;):D:D
    IMG_4475.JPG Loaded for the pipe shop in the morning.:)
    It has been a long and at times very dirty struggle but I'm hoping it is gonna turn out great.
    At least we got it in there without splitting the wishbone; even with big automatic transmission.:)
    Happy Al

30. Looking great, Al..........No more showin' off until you get the new pipes on there.:D;)