Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anti Hot Rod & Muscle Car Enforcement by Wisconsin State Patrol

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blues4U, Apr 26, 2019.

1. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Reading the lists in Roman Numeral II subchs, leaves no chance for any current Hot Rod or Custom to run on the streets and roads of Wisconsin. Or am I missing something? Is the State of Wisconsin ready to loose the the revenue from the registration and taxing of all these modified or constructed motor vehicles? I would suspect it is a substantial amount of money that will no longer flow to the State coffers.

2. If I lived in Wisconsin, I'd call SEMA and get the name of a legislator that is sympathetic to old cars and see if you can get the statute changed. There are several states, including Utah, that allow reproduction vehicles to be registered as the vehicle they most closely resemble and are given a state issued vin's, exempting them from current year registration rules. I would imagine that one of these statutes could be tweaked to cover the problems you're experiencing.

Mick

3. Well, there you go letting facts get in the way of a good blame game...:cool:

Phillips, partsdawg, racer-x and 2 others like this.
  4. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Trans 305 does allow for you to register your build as the year it represents, original or aftermarket. My understanding is that SEMA believes Wisconsin is one of the better programs out there. The question that has come up is , has the Wisconsin State Partol misinturpeted the statues or has the DOT wrongly register cars not meeting the statues. At least that's my understanding. None of the statures in Trans 305 prevent you from modifying your car. Even the collector plate allows for cosmetic changes from stock. Wheels, paint. graphic's, interior and engine mods, as long as engine changes do not require reengineering mounts to install. Street modified, which many of our cars would fall under, would be under a hobbiest plate. Even though I know lots of guys who have registered with standard plates or as I have may times over the years a vanity plate. All legal as far as I know . The big question in this case is , does the law require fenders, hoods, and bumpers. According to the statues a street modified, which the DOT under hobby plates states are more commonly know as Hot Rods or Street Rods do. Regular and vanity plates do not require pictures when you register it. Hobby and collector plates require pictures of the car or truck. So if you send in pictures of a chopped .channeled, fender and hoodless blown big block Model A and they send you your title and plates back , you would think your legal. So who is screwing up screwing up , the DOT or the State Patrol. I am confident that Curt R will use his expertise and knowledge in these matters, and follow up on this case and keep us informed. I think one way or another we need a Judge to finally make a legal determination of what is legal and what is not and then the dot and the state patrol need to follow this ruling and work together. Wisconsin's car heritage is not going anywhere, the greatest number of the cars and trucks are following the statures that cover modifications. The fender laws affecting pre 1950 cars and trucks needs to be clarified. Hopefully we will have the answer after next month. Larry

lurker mick likes this.
  5. A Boner

A Boner

6. Larry,
    Sounds like you did some research into Wis Statute and Code, good to see.

I offer a different viewpoint. We all talk with fellow rodders and of course some of the discussions lose their original content or meaning as the original discussion is repeated. Vehicle laws, generally, are specific. Interpretations will vary. When the Wis equipment requirement problem requires all of Wis rodders to be on the same page and show their support for those in opposition to WSP’s interpretation, we must be unified.

As you state “The big question in this case is , does the law require fenders, hoods, and bumpers. According to the statues a street modified, which the DOT under hobby plates states are more commonly know as Hot Rods or Street Rods do.”

When Trans 305.22 was drafted the intent was as stated below;

My vehicle is registered as a “street modified” vehicle. The Applicability Provision of Trans 305.22 (4) (a) (b) and (5) states;

(4) Vehicles covered under subchs. II, III and IV that are street modified or replica vehicles shall meet the following vehicle equipment requirements:
    (a) The vehicle equipment requirements for a street modified vehicle shall be the same as the vehicle equipment requirements for a vehicle of the same type and model year that is not a street modified vehicle.
    (b) The vehicle equipment requirements for a replica vehicle shall be the same as the vehicle equipment requirements for a vehicle of the same type and model year as the vehicle used for purposes of the reproduction.

(5) No section of this chapter requires vehicles meeting equipment requirements established by Wisconsin or federal law for the year of original manufacture to update vehicle equipment to meet increased requirements under this chapter unless updating is required by ch. 347, Stats., or sub. (3).

Because of the “street modified” registration, my vehicle’s equipment requirements are the same as for an unmodified 1932 Ford per Trans 305.22 (a).

Per Trans 305.22 (5), my vehicle only has to meet the vehicle equipment requirements for 1932 Wisconsin or federal law. In 1932 there was not a federal law requiring a hood or fenders. 1932 Wisconsin vehicle equipment requirements did not require vehicles to have fenders or a hood.

Also you state
    “According to the statues a street modified, which the DOT under hobby plates states are more commonly know as Hot Rods or Street Rods do. Regular and vanity plates do not require pictures when you register it. Hobby and collector plates require pictures of the car or truck.“

Here are the directions for applying for Hobbyist and Collector plates as taken from WISDMV website. I don’t see requirements for pictures.

HOBBYIST
    How to apply•
    Complete and sign application»
    Select appropriate options that apply»
    Give complete description of vehicle in section A»
    Give owner information in section B»
    Give complete description of vehicle registered in Wisconsin used for regular transportation in section C•
    Send your original title(not a photocopy). If the vehicle is not titled in your name, send a completed title application (MV1or MV11), titlesigned by Sellerand fees, including Hobbyist registration fees•
    For street modified vehicles, provide a statement explaining how the vehicle was modified•
    For reconstructed vehicles, include a copy of your bill of sale•
    COLLECTOR
    How to apply
    1. Complete and sign application.»
    Select appropriate option.»
    Give complete description of Collector vehicle in section A.»
    Give owner information in section B.»
    Give complete description of vehicle, which is registered in Wisconsin and used for regular transportation in section C.»
    Incomplete applications will be returned.
    2. If the vehicle you wish to register with Collector plates is already titled in your name and: »
    is currently registered, send a copy of your Certificate of Registration. »
    is not currently registered, send the actual Certificate of Title—not a photocopy.
    3. If the vehicle is not titled in your name, send a completed title application (MV1 or MV11), assigned title and fees, including Collector registration fees.

Curt R

7. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Curt R. I keep trying to get more answers than questions. The photo comment comes from first hand experience . On the collector application MV2323 just above where you fill out the vehicle info and name and address it states that the department may request photos to confirm eligibility, the last 3 times I registered cars with my collector plates they sent me a letter stating that they where delaying my application till I sent them photos of the cars. So evidently I wrongly assumed that they where requesting photos from everyone. Also there was no reason to suspect they where modified beyond collector specs. two where mid 60's Mustangs and most recently my 64 Marauder. Again no rhyme or reason for their interpretation of the statures . I have a dozen cars, modified from mild to wild and the ones that still carry vanity plates are getting pricey . My 36 Plymouth , 51 Merc and 55 Chevy are all modified body and drive train wise that they are beyond the scope of collector plates. I have never been bother by the police for any of them, just don't want to make a mistake if I decide to reregister them with hobby plates. Just trying to figure this out once and for all. Again thanks for the info and your knowledge of this stuff. Larry

8. SS327

SS327

Just wait until you poor guys have to figure out how to retrofit air bags to your dashes.

Denny

chopped and Beanscoot like this.
  9. A Boner

A Boner

Bump to page 1

10. I look at it like the tinted window tickets, here in SoCal. We would get the tickets signed off, then re tint or put the tinted glass back on. Of course, then they passed a law saying, 3 tinted window tickets in a year, you loose your license for a year! lol

11. A Boner

A Boner

Have heard that the no fender ticket is $800.00 plus a 10 day fix it ticket. If you don't fix it, they will pull the car registration! This is all second hand info, so hopefully it isn't correct.

12. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Again, as I said before, isn't there a risk of a substantial revenue drop for Wisconsin if they continue on this path? The chance that more cars and their owners may not be able to afford this, not fall for this and may just say screw it and drop their registration? Why pay ransom to the state if all they are looking for is more money? If a car was once okay to register and drive and now it is not, then what is the purpose? Possibly to extort more money from the modified car enthusiast?

13. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I was just told by a friend of mine that a co worker of his who's husband is a state trooper that at the up coming Dells Automotion show , that I have been involve with as a member of the Dells Area Cruisers for over 25 years. The troopers have been told to ticket any show cars not running fenders. This event has become very heavily policed for the last six or seven years do to an onslaught of young people and their cars coming to cruise and party on the Parkway. Between the Dells police, three different county sheriffs departments and the state patrol , the place is over run with police trying to control traffic and the crowds. Tickets are handed out like popcorn and in many cases four to five times more expensive than they would be any other time. They will not bother you for any other reason unless you do something stupid like a burn out and this fender thing. Also be fore warned that Noahs arc is building a new building and the entrance we have always used is gone and the one we will be using is a single lane and has speed bumps . expect long lines getting in and out. Larry

14. Getting pulled over for no fenders most likely wont happen. There is continuous stupid shit going on that's a real concern to public safety. They will be busy dealing with other things. The show is great during the day with no issues. Later in the evening it gets crazy do to the local trouble makers.

15. A Boner

A Boner

Don't know what's going on in Iowa as far as the "cops" and hot rods, but in Wisconsin we have a cluster going on right now! Dodgeville Wisconsin is the hottest of the hot spots in the state right now! And it seems to be the "Wisconsin State Patrol" only for now. The rest of law inforcement in Wisconsin seems to be taking care of the most important problems first, and working their way down the list of problems!

16. oldcootnco

oldcootnco

If memory serves me about 3or 4 years ago the laws regarding getting a title in Wi. changed. I went through the process of self certifying my vehicle to get a bonded title. It worked great and I finally thought DMV got there shit together. I forgot about the WSP, they can be very antagonistic to groups that don't fit there criteria. I have seen them very helpful and I have seen them be the biggest dicks on the planet, during my 50 years of having a license.

irishsteve likes this.
  17. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually, no you don't. If you plead not guilty then the introduction of the proper statute or ordinance will be offered by the prosecution in court. The judge will then make the decision whether the law applies and if you did or did not violate the law. If you do not like the decision then you have the right to appeal.

This process is the only way to solve the "problem" of the disagreement between the state and the citizens. Arguing with the law enforcement officer is not going to solve the problem and can make things worse.

18. I didn't plan on having an argument with any officer, but rather ask a simple question ? If they can write a ticket for an offense, it shouldn't be too much to ask to see if said offense even exists. Sorry, but you shouldn't have to go to court to prove someone wrong. Again, just common sense.

PBRmeASAP likes this.
  19. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry but that is the way the system works. Maybe you have a different opinion and that is fine. That is what judges are for. Again, the answer is no the officer does not have to show you the written ordinance on the roadside.

lurker mick and loudbang like this.
  20. A Boner

A Boner

21. dndrodshop

dndrodshop
    from Wales

Automotion

If you were planning to go then don't,
    if you go get a ticket/warning, don't fight the ticket/warning and change your car,
    the "NEW" interpretation of the regs by the State Patrol will spread beyond fenders.

22. hotrod428

hotrod428

I live in Price County in northern Wisconsin where we have more police per capita than any county in Wisconsin. Our motto is " Come on vacation, leave on probation" I get pulled over at least once a year in one of my old cars and get warnings for non original exhaust, dice hanging on rear view mirror or some other stupid reason.

RusTnut likes this.
  23. A Boner

A Boner

Who is handing out the tickets.....State Patrol, County Sheriff, or Local Police?

24. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I hope people understand that the troopers are not the bad guys. I have a great number of friends that are or are retired police officers. They take their orders from people farther up chain of command and just like us at our jobs if the boss tells you to do something , whether you like it or not you do it. And there are a lot of times it is not the boss's idea either and he may think it is a shit ass idea just like you. but someone higher up than him is pulling the strings. If you get pulled over take your ticket and go to court. As Curt R stated earlier if enough cases are heard , the courts might finally tell the state patrol and the dot to get this thing straighten out once and for all. Larry

loudbang and PBRmeASAP like this.
  25. scoop

scoop

Maybe this was asked already,what if you're from out of state?

26. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

That didn't work at Nuremberg. Hm.

primed34, tubman and Blues4U like this.
  27. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Then the likelihood of anyone taking it to court is reduced dramatically.