Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tig Welding

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krylon32, Dec 7, 2018.

1. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

As suggested I checked out the Tin Man Tech website. He has some very interesting welding products that might make what I want to do easier. We'll see?

2. I have a buddy that was a professional certified welder, and he required a defibrillator/pacemaker approximately 8 years ago. He was told that he could no longer do any type of welding other than gas. He was even advised to be careful around microwave ovens, because some of them are leakers.
    Another friend had one installed 20 years ago, and after the installation, he asked the doctor if it is really going to work. The doctor replied, yep, we killed you three times and you are still here. The problem in his case, was that he still required medication even after the defib/pacemaker was installed. The medication eventually took a severe toll on him, and he is now just basically being warehoused. What a waste of a productive life.
    Bob

3. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Ask your doctor and device manufacturer. Had a doc that suggested one to me. Like someone else here said, different doc changed drugs and said I didn't need one. But, in the course of looking into it, I found it was ok to TIG. But don't believe me, do your homework.

4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

Benn getting some feedback about my situation and using one of the newer style inverter Mig welders as they don't seem to throw a high frequency signal like a Tig or regular Mig???????????

Boneyard51 likes this.
  5. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Gary, stay in business but stay away from the welders. Hire a young buck to do the welding in another building or protective area. You don't get a second chance. I sold all of my stuff, but I didn't make my living as a welder. Merry Christmas.

Hot Rods Ta Hell likes this.
  6. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

As far as I know MIG doesn't use any high frequency/high voltage to get the arc started, but it DOES use high currents that cause strong magnetic fields, and there may be relatively high voltage spikes when the weld current is interrupted.
    This is enough to (sometimes) fry electronics in cars being welded on. Electronics in the person doing the welding is also located in the same general area...

46international likes this.
  7. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Like others have said, go to gas welding! You may enjoy it! It’s one of my favorite ways to weld... sure it has a few draw backs compared to stick or mig. It has some similarities to tig.Try it first, I’m sure you have a torch set up in your place. And it will be perfectly safe.

You can’t use any welder if your dead!

Bones

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    j-jock likes this.
  8. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

9. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

So, here's an opinion from Mayo, and one from a device manufacturer. It would appear the electromagnetic waves block the device from working. Note the chainsaw comments. Like you, I struggled with this cause it's part on my life. If you search this topic and add vests, there are some protective measures you could look at also. Mixed opinions on that. I'd hate to see you not be able to build the cool stuff you do so well. Keep us posted.
    Getting older ain't for sissy's

10. I wouldn’t risk it. But, you might be able to tack stuff together with a mig and get someone else to tig it up.

Even that may be dangerous though. Still, there are plenty of other things you can do in the hobby. Might take up doing interiors. There’s good money in that!

11. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

Fordor Ron: Funny you should mention interiors. When I decided to go into the chassis and hot rod fab business in my mid 30's I had a chance to learn upholstery and passed it up for the chassis business. The direction I chose has been good to me but I have always wondered if I could have become as proficient at interiors as building chassis? I'll never know. As far as doing something else, I don't need the money in my old age but need to keep busy so I don't lose my mind.

Hombre, Blue One and Fordor Ron like this.
  12. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

Well I got my defibrillator/pacemaker installed about 3 weeks ago and I was assured by the devise rep who gave me my first tune up last Friday and the surgeon that installed the devise that I would be able to continue to weld and build chassis. This the very latest in devise technology, so in about 2 weeks when I'm completely healed up I will take the big step and strike the first arc. My wife will be standing by to either catch me or congratulate me. We'll see?

13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That's great news, please keep us updated on how things work out.
    Hopefully your wife won't have to post for you ;):D
    Just kidding, it will be great if you can continue to do what you love and carry on with life.
    Larry

Hombre and Algoma56 like this.
  14. williebill

williebill

Good luck, hope it goes so well that you forget that optional equipment you're carrying around now.

Hombre likes this.
  15. 1gearhead

1gearhead

The guy that talked to the guy that knew the answer, well I am that guy. have had a pacemaker/defibrillator for the last six years, I have a small hot rod shop and MIG and Tig weld regularly. It all depends on the unit that you have. I have a Metronics and got my answer and OK from the tech at Metronics. There was my cardio Doctor, his nurse, the tech from Metronics, her assistant and the Engineering tech at Metronics. They said The device that I have it is ok to weld. No problems yet. So check with the manufacturer of your pacemaker/defibrillator to see if it is OK to weld nodt just the cardiologist.

Hombre and patterg2003 like this.
  16. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

I finally got up enough courage to give it a try. My wife came out to the shop to catch me. I fired up the tig, set the amps at 160 as advised and ran a few lines of weld with no problems. I think I'm good to go? Hope so as I sold another chassis last week. I'm optimistic.

17. Good to know. You did right by researching and asking the right questions, of the right people.
    You want to do what you love, but you want to be safe.

Hombre likes this.
  18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That's great news. I think you will be good to go. Just be aware of how you're feeling and carry on. Optimistic is better than fear and not being able to live life on your terms.
    Keep us updated as to how it goes.

19. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

Update: Just finished doing the fab work on a customer 33/34 chassis. Did it all with my tig including using filler rod where it needed it. No ill effects so far. It takes a bit longer to get the right flow at the lower amps. Now my finish welder can do his thing

Blue One and Hombre like this.
  20. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Are you using the rubber gloves or without? Are you using a newer machine or your old industrial unit? Keeping track since I just got reset last week!
    SPark

21. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

I'm using my Miller Tig just wearing cloth gloves. I was wearing a rubber glove to hold the wire but got in a hurry and forgot to put it on and had no ill effects with just the cloth work glove.

22. 6sally6

6sally6

ABSOLUTELY!!^^^^^^
    6SALLY6

23. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Never , Never TIG or be near any TIG welding with a pace maker . If you have ever experienced one going off it is not something you want to experience and or witness .