Register now to get rid of these ads!

History New member with a new project, '49 Ford Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Big_Red, May 7, 2019.

1. Big_Red

Big_Red
    from Fresno, CA

Hey guys, new member. I have been lurking for a few weeks, reading a lot. Recently my brother and I bought a '49 Ford Coupe which has been a dream of my brother's for a while (dad had a '50 when we were kids). We live in central california.

I'm going to have a lot of questions. Neither of us is a mechanic. Other than auto shop 25 years ago and helping my uncle build a '51 F1 I don't have too much experience. I'm handy though and catch on quick. I also will try to always search and try learning BEFORE I ask questions.

My brother and I are not "more money than brains" so this won't be a 30k and done in 6 months type deal. I think we fall into the "more ambition than brains" category, we know this will take us a while and we'll have to balance what two working guys can afford with how much labor we have to invest.

Here is the car.
    IMG_1609.JPG
    It is solid, a couple of holes in passenger side floor but only about quarter size each. I've fixed that kind of thing before. It looks to be mostly intact original (not sure about the engine, it is period correct but may not be original to the car, the carb is a 7RT), majority of the stainless is there. has a lot of broken, missing or cracked glass. With a little choke it actually starts up and runs well. It has a King shifter, has been converted to 12v with what I think is a Delco 10 alternator (can't find the exact details of it without removing it to see if there is still a label/stamp on it which I haven't done). electric windshield wipers. A crappy silicone job around the front windshields to seal them and a little bondo on the front of the rear wheel wells (out of sight) shaved (but not completed and just bondo filled) handles and trunk.

The priority right now is get it ready for driving around this summer just as is. We have a voltage drop we have to track down, make sure the lights are running bright, we want to add turn signals to it. Add an ignition switch (toggle switch in there right now). Summers are a bitch here so we aren't going to replace the broken side glass right now.

The goal is a mild traditional. We are going to add back the handles and trunk hardware back on. side trim too. Probably have the interior redone to original. A built flathead, maybe 304. change the transmission for maybe a 5 speed so we can do freeway. Musts are A/C and Disc brakes, we would like power steering. We will do baby moons on it just like our dads'.

We have access to a pretty well equipped shop at my uncles, so cutting, welding, basic fab isn't a problem.

I am into cigars, bourbon and shooting (USPSA, trap). I have two young daughters, one of which has said she wants to help with the car. I will let my brother introduce himself later.

Thanks for all the information here and thank you ahead of time for the help I'm sure I will get.

Red

2. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Welcome from Indiana and thanks for a thorough introduction. Good luck with the project. Guys around here are first class and know their traditional customs and flatheads. Regards, Randy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Welcome from Colorado

4. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Welcome aboard. Tons of info here! Also, it can sometimes get pretty entertaining!

5. Welcome Big Red! I am rather new here as well and have already met some Cool Cats. Looks like you've got a solid start and a plan to match. Can't fault a Bourbon man unless I look in the mirror! Looking forward to the progress.

6. Terrible80

Terrible80

7. Glad to have you, hope you have a great time here, also, really like your Ford.

8. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

Looks like a great start. Glad you are here.
    Pete

9. belair

belair

Welcome. I like those 49 and 50 coupes.

10. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Welcome!
    I think there's always some rust issues, but that looks pretty solid car

11. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

Welcome. Looking forward to watching your progress

12. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

8 years for first post. wow what a first post. :D keep us posted and take pictures. alot of pictures. will help piece it back together later. ask questions if you need to. we are here to help.

13. Squablow

Squablow

'49 is my favorite, I like the turn signals integrated into the grille bar. Car looks really solid. Don't be afraid to ask questions if you need to, should be a great car to build.

14. Ceegan

Ceegan

15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats - post updates along the way

16. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Welcome to the HAMB, a treasure trove of info available here for the asking! You guys appear to have a solid shoebox to start with, that will make it much easier and quicker!

17. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Welcome to the HAMB from Mass. You chose an awesome car to start with! Love the club coupes.

18. Some people go to prison for a while, does not necessarily make them a bad person, especially if they can whip out a '49 Club Coupe as a project.

19. LuckyFordGuy

LuckyFordGuy

Welcome to HAMB nice car looks not to bad

20. Big_Red

Big_Red
    from Fresno, CA

Thank you all for the welcome. Registration is done as of today!!! Insured and ready to go in that regard. Hoping to hit the ha,burger stand this weekend.

Spent some time tracing Saturday. Ground side looked good in engine compartment, does need a new cable to the starter though, big break in the insulation. The original wiring throughout will have to go, spots all over where the sheathing has holes.

Cleaned up the ground they added for the new 12v tie in to the old wires from firewall back and got good passenger brake after that. Still trouble with driver side brake light. Ended up an issue with the wire on the positive side. For a temporary fix we will tie in to power on the passenger side. Need a new driver side socket (both maybe, they are really mangled I’m guessing from previous guy trying to fix them), and some things I don’t have here, in-line splice, small gauge wire. Could just drive to my uncles but good to have on hand.

Very excited to be ready for some short cruising.

Red

21. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome from Northern Washington! We can never have enough Shoebox Fords around here.

22. Welcome.....and one of my best sounding and running with no over heating - back a flathead or two - was in a 50 Club Coupe....good luck with it !