Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage George Rays or Bust!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mcmopar, May 1, 2019.

1. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I am planning on racing my truck at the George Rays event coming up. My Dad and I are planning on taking 2 lane down there for the ride and to see some country. We are leaving Eau Claire WI, on May 15th, and heading to Waterloo IA to see my uncle. I would like to make a few other stops on the way. Lets here what would be a few things to see on the back roads. I have no specific route just want to be in Paragould AR around 4pm on Friday. If we have to leave earlier than planned we are ok with that. So lets here what there is to see in backroad America. Even if it is only a cool place to take a pic. Any old service stations to get a pic in front of.

Thanks Tony

2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Good luck I wish I was going but I've still got the Fairlane tore up. I like the idea of the two lanes getting down there. Its beautiful country the farther south you go, have a safe trip....

loudbang likes this.
  3. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I know that John Waynes house, where he was born is in IA, that would be a cool thing to go see. Maybe we could stop by the St.Louis Arch, but more traffic than I want to see. As much as we talk about driving our cars, I thought that I would get more responses about things to see on the back roads of America. Im not looking for national treasures, just nice scenary, for a picture. This pic got taken on the way to the HAMB drags in 2017. Saw the pond while driving, pulled over to take a break.
    Tony 20170817_165156.jpg

4. Seven bridges off I-80 Iowa. Its were there filmed the movie bridges of Madison county staring Clint Eastwood. There are maps to find them all. The bridges are covered wood. Very cool scenery in the country.

0NE BAD 51 MERC and loudbang like this.

5. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Thanks, Brian. I believe we are going to tak Hwy. 63 for most of the way after the bridges. I found a sight that lists a lot of things to see, like a Scrap metal horse herd, baseball water tower, and some bonnie and clyde stuff.

loudbang likes this.
  6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Lake of the Ozarks
    Bennett Springs
    Montauk State Park

If you happen to be driving 63 south south of Hartsburg, you will go pass my house.

loudbang likes this.
  7. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

saltflats, pm me your number and address. I met ya at Mokan, not sure if ya remember me, it was a short talk. If we have time we will stop by bs for a while. I think that we might go to some of them sights.
    Tony

loudbang likes this.
  8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Ha Ha Tonka State Park

PM sent

das858 and loudbang like this.
  9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

10. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

As you enter into Arkansas on Hwy 63 take a left at the 1st light in Mammoth Spring . It’s just about 500 feet across the state line , the 7th largest natural spring I n the country. The spring is on the highway & pumps out 9.78 million gallons per hour. Nice place to take a break & to live. I’m fortunate living here to call George’s our home track , it’s a very friendly isolated part of the country. Lots of old iron on 63 to see also. lot of great memories at George’s. Again Thanks to Racer X ! It is a weekend many of us local area guys are looking forward too. Flux

loudbang likes this.
  11. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

It wasn't a easy ride to George Rays, had a few things go wrong on the way. We ended up going about a hour and a half out of our way because we were on 2 lane roads, and we ran into flooded areas. Once we got past the floods, it was going ok until around 30 miles before Greenville MO. That is where my fuel pump went out and left us sitting in the parking lot of All Type Septic Service. There were 2 ladies inside that were super nice and helped me find a fuel pump, then had a employ pick it up and bring it to there shop where I was stuck. They wouldn't take any money for there time, my hat is off to them.

We got that fixed and when roaring down the road. About a hour later I needed gas, and was coming up to a gas station, stepped on the breaks, and 0, zilch, nothing. Missed that gas stop went onto next one and was glad I have a 5 spd to slow down with. We found that a front brake line broke. Smashed it flat and continued to the hotel with no problems. Next morning went to track and asked around for a flaring tool. I talked to on guy and he had a parts house bring the stuff I needed to fix my truck, and wouldn't let me give him anything also.

It was a pretty uneventful ride home, nothing broke and it was a nice ride. This was a great trip even though it didn't go they way I thought it would. A 12 hour drive turned into 18 so no time for sight seeing, but still had a blast. For the guys that didn't make it there you missed out, it was a great time.
    Tony