Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Bought a Car Today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lake_harley, May 4, 2019.

1. lake_harley

lake_harley

I went to an estate auction today with a friend. I had heard that the gentleman who owned the estate had a lot of cars, but mostly went to hang out with my friend. But, a '48 Ford Coupe that wasn't in to bad of shape (based on a quick look) caught my eye. I opened the hood and ......whoa....this baby has twin 97's on the 59A-B flattie! Well, that increased my interest level by quite a bit. I couldn't believe it but I was the only bidder and I'm perfectly happy with the price. Trying to start the bid lower might have gotten someone else interested enough to bid and it might have gone higher, so I'm happy. Talked to another fellow I know who was at the auction and has a roll-back truck. Quick conversation with him and got a quote of $40 to haul it home in the next few days.

I know what'll happen now. All other projects, probably including my '31 Model A, will be put on hold to see if I can get the flathead to come to life. Let's see what else will it take to get it on the road.....tires, check out the brakes, make the lights work, clean it up, etc. etc. etc........

:D

Lynn

2. desotot

desotot

etc. etc. etc......:)

Surfcityrocker likes this.
  3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

No pics , it didn't happen. You know how this works .:D. Congrats

4. catdad49

catdad49

Are you Sure it wasn't a Dream? I see nothing!

King ford, J.Ukrop, Texas57 and 4 others like this.
  5. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Damn,this was your lucky day. Description sounds good. Yes, you will almost certainly want to see if you can get her up and running. (Who wouldn’t). Post pictures when you can. Good luck and enjoy!!!!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Damn, everyone has a phone with a camera now days, I suppose you don't?:)

7. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

Sounds Great!!! But you know, we're a bunch of old men and pictures pictures pictures... did I mention we need pictures? :)

8. fuzzface

fuzzface

I like going to auctions. You never know for sure what will be there.

A few years ago my wife and I stopped for breakfast and the neighbors were there. they talked us into going to a farm auction that I originally blew off. I knew the family and read the listing and figured I didn't need nothing and was trying to save money for the coming winter. Finally I gave in and went thinking maybe the one son's Buick will be there with the cracked block which I had a replacement for already. I knew it wasn't listed but just maybe. well my maybe turned into no it wasn't but a '30 Studebaker was there that wasn't listed.

Never knew they owned it. talked to the son I knew and found out his dad owned it since the early 60's and it always sat in the old corn crib. well to make this story short it is now sitting in my toybox waiting its turn. I did get it running, it just doesn't stop yet.

catdad49 and Clay Belt like this.
  9. BJR

BJR

Was it an invisible auction, cuz I don't see any pictures of a 48 anything.:D:eek:

10. bob b.

bob b.
    from peoria az.

I didn't see no 48 or merk

11. lake_harley

lake_harley

Sheesh......what an impatient lot. Had to get the film developed. :)

Lynn

!cid_3a0852b8-ad52-432f-882c-392c0d122e4b.jpg

12. evintho

evintho

OK, it did happen! Yes, I like it! Always had a soft spot for '47-'48 coupes. Looks to be in pretty darn good shape too!

13. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

14. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

those cars can make the best driving hotrods! I had a 47 delivery, and I miss it!:(

15. catdad49

catdad49

A Dream come True! They still sell film, who knew? Please share, Carp.

16. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I like it! Any pics of the other cars? That a riviera beside it there?

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  17. Nice acquisition. That will make a sweet ride. Keep us posted on the progress and thanks for the picture.:)

jim snow likes this.
  18. No, not everyone. Some of us old farts are also old school. My mobile phone has a rotary dial on it and no camera....:(

Good score on the coupe. I recently bought one also that I had no intention of getting but the condition was too good to pass up. I hope its easy to get running.

19. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I keep tripping over the cord on my mobile phone

20. You need to shorten the cord.

21. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

What's this "film" you speak of?

Jokester and lake_harley like this.
  22. lake_harley

lake_harley

Film....it was used to take pictures back-in-the-day. It's "traditional"! :D

Lynn

catdad49 and scrap metal 48 like this.
  23. Wait.....no top up ? We want to see the goods !!!! Looks like you only had the Cadillac boys to duel with.....

24. 0nedon

0nedon

nice buy- I know what you mean about all other projects being put on hold because of a new find. I think some of us are like a magnet and old stuff just draws to us and If that is true I am very glad I have that ora around me. Congrats.

25. lake_harley

lake_harley

Sorry, but that's the only other car I have a photo of. Good eye...it is a '65 Riviera. Another friend of mine bought it at the auction. The bumpers and other parts were included and stored in a building. He got it for less through the auction process than what he had offered and was turned down before the auction. Odd how things work out sometime.

BTW....got the '48 home today. Ended up picking it up myself on my ramp trailer so I could spend some quality time and $10 at a car wash. Got enough crud off the engine and intake to see that the intake is a Weiand. Grease is caked onto a lot of the suspension (like the entire length of both springs) about 1/2" thick. At least I know the previous owner liked his machinery well lubricated. ;) Rolling the car off my trailer I tried to get the engine to turn over by putting it in gear while coming off the ramps. Either the flatty really has good compression, or it's stuck. My guess is the later. Plan to squirt a lot of bolts on the whole car with penetrating oil and really let it soak. Likely some ATF in the cylinders too to see if it'll free up the engine. Oh....found a dual point distributor in the trunk. Pretty crusty looking but it might clean up.

Working on getting some better roller tires for it too. Letting my wife pick a color for the wheels to get it all snazzy looking to keep me motivated and her interested while I work on it. BTW...my wife awesome and is very encouraging about my projects, and no, she doesn't have any sisters.:)

Lynn

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    50 customcoupe, Thor1, brad2v and 4 others like this.
  26. raven

raven

"and no, she doesn't have any sisters."

bummer...
    r

27. indyjps

indyjps

Great find.
    Film.....that made me smile. I found a few rolls of undeveloped film a while back, had no idea what was. Street Machine Nationals 1992. Half the pics were bikini contest, :rolleyes: lotta cars, bonfire kegger. Yep, that was '92.

28. cpldale

cpldale
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Naples, FL

Film, film ,film! I remember film, I worked at Kodak for 20 years until you guys stopped buying it! After that, I started working for a factory making buggy whips. What could possibly go wrong?

williebill and jim snow like this.