Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 57 Chevy engine mount questions - be gentle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Squablow, May 6, 2019.

1. Squablow

Squablow

I'm working on a '57 Chevy car and I've got some engine mount questions. Please keep in mind I'm a body man and not a mechanic so stuff that seems obvious to you probably isn't to me.

Basically, the car got a 350/350 stuck in it just far enough to drive it onto a trailer and I want to finish it up. One thing I noticed is it has front engine mounts and a trans mount on the back of the tail shaft but nothing in between. The original frame braces for the bellhousing center mounts are still intact.

Here's a picture of the front engine mount, questions to follow.

20190506_122820.jpg

First question, does that mount look right, with that gap in there? I'm not really sure what it was originally supposed to look like.

Second question, if that is what the mount is supposed to look like, do I want to add some kind of center mounts to the bellhousing? Seems like an awfully long stretch from the front of the engine to the end of the trans.

Third, am I better off in some way to add the motor mount brackets to use the center engine mounts instead of these front pieces, and if so, do I need to have the engine out of the car to install them? I'd really like to leave the engine in place if I don't absolutely need to pull it out.

I will say that the custom trans crossmember put into the car looks pretty good. I do need to send the driveshaft in to get balanced but I don't want to do it until the engine is permanently bolted in place in case it gets moved around and needs to be a bit shorter or longer or whatever, but the motor mounts seem to be the keystone here.

I need some solid knowledge/advice. I can make a 4 door sedan into a 2 door but engine swaps and mounts are not my field.

Deuces likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

there are two ways to go, you could get the Danchuck kit that adds mounts to the transmission to block bolts, and attach to the original frame horns. It looks hokey, but might work ok.

https://www.danchuk.com/ItemForm.aspx?Item=870

Or do it right, get side mounts and bolt or weld them in place, although doing it without removing the engine might be difficult.

https://www.danchuk.com/ItemForm.aspx?Item=871

The gap you're talking about, do you mean between the donuts, the long stud in there? yeah, that's normal. If you mean something else, please elaborate

Deuces and Squablow like this.
  3. Squablow

Squablow

Yes, the gap between the donuts, was wondering if that was how it was supposed to look. Excellent advice, thanks.

Let me ask you this, with those motor mounts bolted the way they are, the engine should be properly located (front to back at least), correct? Like, swapping to the side mounts, if I did go that way, wouldn't affect the front to back location of the engine? I'm wondering if I can send my driveshaft in, safe in the knowledge that the length is correct, even if I did swap to the other style motor mounts. I hope that question makes sense.

Deuces likes this.
  4. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^ This--I would go with the top option in this case-have seen it done many times Front stock mts with new biscuits, bell housing kit and rear member, Can be done in car without removing engine

OLSKOOL57, Deuces and Squablow like this.

5. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

I've used the Danchuk transmission side mount conversion kit. It's actually a pretty solid kit and works well.

6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

agree with above-know of a 55 done this way with no rear member like they were stock with many many miles on it over the yrs and a good amt of passes at the drags as well-still solid-no issues.

Deuces and Squablow like this.
  7. Front mounts and trans mount will work fine. From factory they did front mount bell housing and hung a cast iron powerglide on there. Seen lots of front and trans mounts and not any real issues. But if you drive like a mad man all the time I would think you could hurt something.

Squablow and Deuces like this.
  8. Most of the add on side motor mounts kits that I’ve seen move the motor forward 3/4” to allow more room for the distributor. Not necessary but nice to have a bit more room.

Squablow likes this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

It should be correct front to back.

and...

Some of the side mount kits move the engine forward 3/4", but usually only those intended for use with big blocks.

Squablow and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  10. The factory set up works just fine. you can go to side mounts on the engine and leave the bellhousing side mounts as well to locate the side motor mounts. 67-72 C10's with factory 4 speeds are mounted this way. Side mounts for the motor and then side mounts on the bellhousing and the trans mission is floating and the SM46 is a cast iron case transmission

Squablow and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  11. Squablow

Squablow

This is one of the things I was worried about. If the engine comes forward with the side mount kit, then my shifter linkage needs to be modified and my trans mount will be in the wrong spot, and it'll effect the length of my driveshaft (which isn't set in stone yet but needs to be dealt with). I will say the distributor clearance at the firewall is pretty tight but it does fit the way it's in there now. If I can just bolt on some side mount tabs for peace of mind, I feel like that would be a good way to go.

It's really good to get this feedback from everyone, I do appreciate it.

Thor1 and Deuces like this.
  12. I’m pretty sure you can get side mounts that leave the motor in the stock location.

13. TimCT

TimCT

The side mount kit I ended up getting leaves the engine in the stock location - McGaughys PN 63192. Just about ready to bolt them on the engine and drop it between the frame rails to see where I need to drill the holes.

14. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I don't think you should leave it such as a triangle mount. Side mounts off the bell housing or block side mounts with the tailshaft housing mount will be okay. If one of those front engine mounts decided to give up the ghost , you may find problems adding up. You don't need a twisting action to damage the trans case.

15. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

I would add some kind of bell housing mount-not only is the span from the front mount to the rear tailshaft a long way,but more importantly both mounts are close to the engine center-line. There is going to be a tendency to"rock"-putting a lot of stress on those 60+ year old front mounts

Squablow likes this.
  16. Squablow

Squablow

I think I'm sold on the Danchuk center trans mount kit, and I'll keep the tail shaft mount and crossmember that was added as well, that should really make it solid, and the center mount kit is only $100 and bolts in so even if I could get away with what I currently have, why try. If the engine wasn't already in place with a lot of stuff hooked up the side mount relocators seem like a good option too but I was hoping not to pull the engine and I'm not worried about the look so I'm all for this plan. Thanks for all the responses.

Hnstray likes this.
  17. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

What Taboo56Chevy said, The factory system works just fine. For my 57 Chevy Sedan I purchased complete new front biscuits & hardware and same for Bellhousing mounts. Works Great!!

Squablow and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The best answer wasn't stated as such......but hinted at. The GM engineers evolved from the 'stilts' at the front and bell housing side mounts to the block side mounts and the trans tail housing mount.

That spread the engine and trans weight loading more proportionately and eliminated the trans hanging out in the breeze. While other methods 'work', which I would define as 'don't often fail', the various derivatives cited do not seem to me to be as well engineered as the eventual factory design.

Squablow and squirrel like this.
  19. If you need the mid - mounts at the transmission. I just removed mine and don’t need them

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Squablow and squirrel like this.
  20. Work with front engine mounts and TH350 in a 57 Chevy (engine in factory V8 position)

Squablow likes this.

21. Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Squablow likes this.
  22. Phil55Kratz

Phil55Kratz

[​IMG]
    I used those mounts for the front on my 55 (stock style) and I also had mounts at the bellhousing and that was it. I had a mild 350 so wasn’t worried about much.

olscrounger and Squablow like this.
  23. thehazguy

thehazguy

57-MM-2.jpg I had Earle Williams engine mounts welded on my 210. Stock engine location. Stock type electronic distributor.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    Squablow likes this.
  24. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Just an aside, but the Shakey Puddin' '55 runs a front plate and mid plate only, and turns mid 9's @150mph+. Like Taboo said above, the C10 pickups through '72 ran side engine and bellhousing mounts with an SM465, but be aware that was using a cast iron bell. I like your choice, and would probably do exactly like you are planning. With all 3 locations used, it should be tough enough for anything the Duke boys could put it through. Is this going to be a 4 door conversion?

Squablow likes this.
  25. Squablow

Squablow

You have the factory style mid mounts, or you have the Danchuk style kit mounts for newer automatics? Because if you have the Danchuk style ones I would very much like to buy them from you, I'll send you a message directly.

26. Squablow

Squablow

You know it. It's practically my signature move at this point. Working on inner rockers and floor supports now. The body is still square and original doors open and close real nice so I want to get everything welded up solid before I start cutting it apart.

While I've got it up in the air high to work on the rockers I figured I'd get my mount situation figured out and send my driveshaft in but I just want to make sure I'm not doing anything foolish. Best part of a '57 Chevy is someone else has already figured out how to do just about everything.

The engine is nothing too special, certainly no race car, and I tend to drive like a little old lady but I'd rather be overly cautious.

27. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

If there will be a build thread, post a link here please. Will be watching.

Squablow likes this.
  28. Squablow

Squablow

Big thanks to @ejgloss who is hooking me up with the side bellhousing pieces I need!

I haven't started one yet but when I do I'll post it up.

olscrounger likes this.
  29. cshades

cshades
    from wi

I am doing a 57 right now that the customer wanted a 200r4 in place of the manual trans. I bought a kit from POL that put in side mounts but the everything stayed in the stock position. I installed everything without removing the drive train, it was kind of a pain but can be done with a 90 degree drill for the 2 upper holes and used the torch to make 2 small locater holes for the bottoms and then drilled through the crossmember and mount holes. The car is a finished car interior, paint and engine compartment so I didn't want to move the engine ahead or pull it out.

Squablow likes this.
  30. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Five points should be solid. Glad your doing that. :cool:

Squablow likes this.