Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Gary Howard

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 7, 2019.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Gary Howard

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  2. Wow. The car world just got dimmer and smaller. The car he built were always just right. I value understatement and Gary Howard built perfectly thought out customs. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. That was a nice tribute.

NoSurf, 61Cruiser, OLSKOOL57 and 3 others like this.
  3. RIP Mr. Howard

NoSurf, OLSKOOL57, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  4. Man that's terrible news. I was hoping that this was just going to be a look at his work when I saw the title but feared the worst before I opened the thread. Another huge loss for the custom car community and of course all his friends and family. RIP Gary.

5. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Father Time claims another Great,,,,,
    We don't get out alive, use your time to the best,
    Tell the ones you love, you love them.
    Do what you need to do
    Drive what you need to drive, even if its not finished
    And remember who got us to this point,,,,,,

6. OLSKOOL57, Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. So very sorry for the loss of a dear friend. I've often said, yes, the cars bring us together, but it's really about the people.

RDR, 61Cruiser, OLSKOOL57 and 3 others like this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Condolences to the Howard Family and Friends on the passing of Gary. He will be remembered for far more than his skills as a Customizer it seems.

Thanks for sharing this sudden loss of someone so close and influential to you and the Community @Ryan.

A day for reflection in loss and celebration of greatness...a difficult time indeed.

Regards,
    Stogy

9. That is sad to hear. He always seemed to have an eye for how a custom should look. Thoughts & prayers go out to his family.

OLSKOOL57, Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. Fitting tribute, Ryan. Nice job. Prayers for Gary's family and friends.

RDR, Thor1, 1stGrumpy and 2 others like this.
  11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well written piece and you can tell it is heart felt. I am sorry for the loss you are feeling.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not the news you want to see when you open up the HAMB page for the first time of the day.
    Gary was the go to guy for a lot of folks when I lived in Texas in the early 70's A lot of the nicer cars always seemed to have had his hands on them in that time frame.
    Sad day in in the car world.

13. I concur. HRP

OLSKOOL57, 37slantback and Stogy like this.
  14. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

So well said Ryan. Gary was one of a kind. Very rarely do you meet folks like Gary, not only in this hobby , but in life in general. It is going to be really tough moving forward without our great friend and mentor. We were all Disciples of Howard and learned so much from this man. His subtle ways were his greatest attributes and it all could be seen, not only in the customs he built, but also just the way he carried himself and treated people. Such a kind sweet man with an amazing amount of talent. He was my hero and many others also. He loved all of you very much and loved the lifestyle that he created around all of us. If it weren’t for him, this world would be so much less cool. He was the sweetest of souls with unequalled talent and he will be so missed in this world. I will keep you all posted on arrangements for Gary when I hear them from JoAnne. We are going to put together a huge celebration of life and benefit for Gary and his family and that will happen down the road a bit here in Austin, once we can get a little better organized and all back in town. Keep Gary and JoAnne in your thoughts and prayers in the meantime.

Love and peace to all of you and Godspeed G Howard !!

Just Gary, Javier, Lazy A and 17 others like this.
  15. 392

Great tribute. It hits like a ton of bricks. Memory’s will live on.

Stogy likes this.
  16. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

17. Sad news indeed,
    I remember touring his shop and looking at the cool stuff, must have been one of the early Round up's, he was a great guy.
    Godspeed Mr. Howard.

Stogy likes this.
  18. R | P

His creations were truly some of the most beautiful I've ever seen.

Stogy likes this.
  19. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

First seen Gary’s work on Jimmy’s cars , met him the first time I went to the roundup. He was very appreciative of everyone donating to the fire fund. Friends at first sight. R.I.P. Condolence to Friends &Family

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    40two, RDR, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  20. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Terrible news. RIP

40two and Stogy like this.
  21. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Dammit, Gary was a great guy I got to meet him a few times over the years and he was always a perfect gentleman and humble .... To call him a talented custom car builder is the understatement of the century.....RIP Man.....

Just Gary, rob-redm, 40two and 6 others like this.
  22. JUNK ROD

JUNK ROD

Stogy likes this.
  23. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Honored to have met him and tour his shop many years ago. Extremely talented and humble. Condolences and prayers for him, his family and friends. RIP.

Stogy likes this.
  24. seatex

seatex

Sad news, indeed. I met him years ago at Roundup, I think it may have been at Fiesta Shores. A really gracious and kind guy.
    His builds were just epic (and still are).
    What an enduring tribute to a master of his craft.
    R.I.P., Mr. Howard

Stogy likes this.
  25. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I first heard of him when Jimmie Vaughan and him where putting out a new car it seem like every year or so. And I remember seeing an story about him and a picture of his shop at the time which I think was nothing more than a two car garage and was blow away that all that automotive beauty came out that humble little place. RIP Larry

Stogy likes this.
  26. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

this sucks pretty bad.

Stogy likes this.
  27. Nice tribute to a friend, Ryan, sorry for the loss. May he rest in peace...

OLSKOOL57, Stogy, Thor1 and 1 other person like this.
  28. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ryan, what a great tribute. I think all of us can only be measured by the depths of our friends. He sounds like he left a very deep pool indeed.

OLSKOOL57, Stogy, Thor1 and 1 other person like this.
  29. Ryan, so sorry to hear about this loss. Friends are what it is all about, especially as we age. Nice tribute. How about some photos of Gary's cars.