Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical pressure plate - rebuild or new?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cederholm, May 6, 2019.

1. cederholm

cederholm

I have a decent pressure plate for my 8BA. It could use a resurfacing but otherwise seems fine. I need a new clutch and flywheel, as my flywheel is 11" and I'd like a smaller one.

Should I look into having it rebuilt or just buy new? This is for an A V8

2. Bursonaw

Bursonaw

I just had mine rebuilt at Fort Wayne Clutch. They did a great job, they even dynamic balanced the pressure plate as part of the rebuild. I went the rebuild route because I have heard of some issues with new pressure plates and clutches on one of the forums. The Borg and Beck presser plates are the better style, but I haven’t seen any new replacement for those so a rebuild may be your only option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cederholm likes this.
  3. speedshifter

speedshifter

I also speak highly of Ft. Wayne Clutch. Their rebuilts are much better than new press plates. I believe new ones are made in China. I have a Ft. Wayne 9" Long press plate & disc ,13 lb alu flywheel behind a hopped up 324 Olds in a 24000 lb roadster. It does not slip. Why 9"? The instant acceleration of the engine when you rev it up in neutral sounds cool. An engineer told me a 8" Borg & Beck press plate, maybe modified, will hold most v8 engines. Greg

egads and cederholm like this.
  4. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Fort Wayne Clutch

cederholm likes this.

5. cederholm

cederholm

You guys never steer me wrong, I'll check them out.

Second question, the pressure plate I have is 9", but I only have an 11" flywheel. Should I have it drilled or buy a new 9"? Or send everything to Fort Wayne?

6. These guys are out in Suffolk county, I had them rebuild a truck clutch for me years back. They have expanded their services since and have a good rep.
    http://www.falconauto.com/

cederholm likes this.
  7. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

Have you considered shaving a couple pounds off the flywheel? Lite cars like less mass rotating at start. They will rev up quicker.

cederholm likes this.
  8. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

Fort Wayne Clutch.....

cederholm likes this.
  9. egads

egads

Can we see a picture of your 12 ton roadster? :eek::D:D

swervyjoe, Montana1 and cederholm like this.
  10. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

For my Flathead to T5 conversion customers I stopped selling the Chinese junk available from the wholesalers and started sending my customers to Fort Wayne Clutch, (talk to Leo) no problems.

cederholm and sidevalve8ba like this.
  11. Bearcat_V8

Bearcat_V8
    from Dexter, MI

I will put in a good word for Clutch Dynamics in Lansing Michigan. I had them do a clutch, pressure plate and fly wheel for me. They did a great job at a very reasonable price, probably less than a third the price of a new one.

cederholm likes this.
  12. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Nothing is made as it used to be . Anytime I can rebuild an old part there is never any question as to which way to go . Just think aren’t you rebuilding the complete car , if you don’t like that why didn’t you buy a new car and carry on

cederholm likes this.
  13. 4BD4BE50-D77E-4E60-9A3D-950D9491F359.jpeg 4265678E-32CC-492C-BA46-62A1664CB488.jpeg I also run a 9 in clutch in all my flathead powered hot rods. Years ago, I had a 48 Ford prefect(4dr Anglia) that ran 14’s with a 284 Flatmotor and a Muncie 4 spd. I would power shift the Muncie thru all 4 speeds and that little 9 in clutch never let me down!

cederholm likes this.