Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs finishing off my 38 chevee project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nunattax, Aug 31, 2015.

Tags:
  1. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

turnsignals with spacers fitted 001.JPG turnsignals with spacers fitted 002.JPG .finished job fitted

TFoch, Bowtie Coupe and Leakie like this.
  2. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

last night sorted the wiring to the lockup switch.used the air con circuit .its rated 30A and is switched.ill be using the traditional means of air con rolling down the windows opening the vent and winding the windscreen out

3. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

replacement distributor cap arrived from summit racing today.that was great service.hadnt used them too much up to now but ill be using them again in the future.thats for sure

TFoch and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  4. And obviously you are good at it too! Great looking truck!

Sent from my Pixel XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

nunattax likes this.
  5. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

powered up the lock up switch on overdrive ,big improvement really obvious when it shifts into overdrive big drop in revs and no slippage .I like it.another job off the list.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  6. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

spent some time today trying to work out what to do with the vent and breather on the valve covers.didnt have anything that would work out neat.came to the conclusion that a bulkhead fitting with a 90 degree would make a neat job of the air filter base.ill have to order a fitting and wait for it. I want to keep it discreet and use plain black rubber hose and fittings..i did a trial run,ran a step drill in the end of the hose and a drop of oil the hose glides on to the breather.to be continued............

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  7. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

fitted the rubber hood corners.purchased about 4 years ago,found and lost them plenty times.put them somewhere safe and couldn't locate them.well I finally fitted them today.the holes in the hood sides needed to be drilled out to 1/4 in from 3/16 so the arrow heads would fit in.maybe the hood corners are beefed up so the locating heads wont break off easily

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  8. Wayne67vert

Wayne67vert

I found the hood corners only protect from scratching the fender and cowl. Don't plan on them to support the hood. I made hood supports that hold the hood in the open position.

9. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

got them on before I scratched either ,but I was being extra carefull.lets see the the hood supports they are on my to do list.not at the top but on the list.would come in very handy.i try not to open the hood if I can outdoors,go back inside the garage.i thought the hood/hinge area very flimsy so I made a jig and drilled the hood and hinge together to double up on the bolts.

10. Wayne67vert

Wayne67vert

I still scratched my cowl and fenders.
    The hood support is from flat bar stock, dipped in liquid plastic.

Attached Files:

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  11. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

that's a pity are the hood corners on right ill take a pic of mine in the morning and we can compare.where did you buy the rubber corners ?

12. Wayne67vert

Wayne67vert

13. both the 37 and 38 trucks I restored/hotrodded plus my 39 gmc ,I ended up using the generic leather triangles with a rivet to hold them. I found the shitty repro' rubber ones failed quickly.

14. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

same here,i had a good look at the hood corners.one fits better than the other but both are loose.i don't intend resting the hood on the cowl.my concern is the hood side putting a deep scratch in the fender.its like the rubber is able to rotate on the locating rubber tab.maybe if I cut the tab off and used adhesive to keep it in placei could melt a hole through the rubber then either rivet in place or use a nut/bolt washers to really keep it from falling off.a lot of fucking about but it would solve the problem.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    Wayne67vert likes this.
  15. the rubber ones I bought when I first built my truck lasted about 4 months before they started to fail. these leather ones have been on ever since, and now that I look at them they are really tired. I guess after 28 years and over 100k miles I shouldn't be too critical. IMG_5031.JPG IMG_5032.JPG

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    Bowtie Coupe and ct1932ford like this.
  16. Nice patina, or is that mold?:p Sorry I have been in the house too long.:confused:

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  17. yep, that same stuff that grows on the tree bark.........maybe I should wash it..........

Bowtie Coupe and ct1932ford like this.
  18. NOOOOO!:eek:

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  19. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

one is better than the other might try impact glue maybe superglue rubber hood corners 001.JPG rubber hood corners 002.JPG

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  20. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

wayne the rubber looks like its not sitting right..the edge of the hood should sit into the grooves in the rubber.![​IMG]

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  21. Wayne67vert

Wayne67vert

Yes, it won't stay seated. I need to drill out the rubber hole and use a rivet to hold it.

22. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

yes I had to drill out the hole in the hood to 1/4" from 3/16" so the rubber corner would fit.now I think I will glue them on as well.while the rubber corners are inexpensive.to buy they cost a lot more when they are shipped to my door,have to hang on to the ones ive got.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  23. Król

Król

I like what you have done. I didn't realize that I've been following your progress all along.

nunattax likes this.
  24. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

thanx fred I love the early chevy trucks.

25. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

today made a start on fitting the Newport wiper kit.purchased the switch with intermittent delay.fiddly job and definately a 2 man operation involved taking out the screen to mark the cab for the holes .they had to be opened up to suit the new kit came with a good metal jig to mark out the holes.truck had vacuum operated wipers ,couldn't rely on those.nearly done just some wiring and fine tuning to finish.thanx ciarain.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Leakie and tb33anda3rd like this.
  26. Wayne67vert

Wayne67vert

You will enjoy the electric wipers.

27. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

steering rack annumber plate support bkt 001.JPG also worked on the bracket for the rear number plate after a slowish start got into the swing of it.half the battle was deciding how I would approach it with the materials I had.80 x 80 x3 mm aluminium angle and some 5mm alum plate.going under the bed ,to be painted and undersealed

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  28. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

did a bit to the number plate bkt today.got it assembled but needs paint and some finishing off.number plate light is in the rear bed crossmember .if I dropped the fuel tank I could have done this quicker but its half full and that's a rare occurance. rear no plate trial run 002.JPG to keep it compact fuck it just realised with the rear bumper fitted it will be in the way 1 step forward two steps back.have to dry run the bumper tomorrow.

29. Wayne67vert

Wayne67vert

So it was a Florida truck before you got it. I live in Florida.

nunattax likes this.
  30. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

it wasn't got those plates from a truck that was imported from florida .had them on the wall.spent 10 days in naples fl a few years back liked it there but it was too hot for me.had the alligator tail and fries yum.

Nicholas Coe likes this.