Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Forgotten Dragstrip: Austin Raceway Park

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TexasHardcore, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Darrell Cook

Darrell Cook

I hate to do this but I am digging up an old thread.. I am in search for any knowledge of a car that came from Austin, TX Capitol Chevrolet. The car still has an Armstrong Johnson dealer emblem on the tailpan. Assuming it was traded in as they are still in business and a Ford dealer. Last known record of the car was in 1972 where a person in the air force took out a loan with the Goodfellow Credit Union and he was stationed on the Kelly AFB. This was a Matador Red 68 Camaro with white Z28 stripes. It had welded on tow tabs on the front of the subframe, welded brackets on the rear frame rails for either traction bars or ladder bars. It had deluxe interior with no console or gauges and lastly it had the cowl plenum induction system on it. I have spoken to herdez and Bruce with respect to a car which may or may not be it that was owned by Don Lee. If anyone has any memories of this car please post up or message me as I am wanting to collect all the history I can for this car. Thanks, Darrell

2. Randy P

Randy P
    from Austin, TX

Poster from 1968...

Attached Files:

Tommy R likes this.
  3. Tommy R

Tommy R

That's way rad, Randy! Thanks for sharing.

4. Randy P

Randy P
    from Austin, TX

Anyone recognize the car? Poster is from 1968 but picture could have been from earlier. poster 2.jpg poster 1.jpg poster 2.jpg

5. EARTHLCD

EARTHLCD

Hi! I just googled looking for fun for my brief stepfather Bill Farmer and stumbled here! There was also a picture published in Hot Rod Magazine of him at the beginning of the race saying he suffered minor injuries! One of my best childhood memories was sitting in the successor car that he built in the driveway of our home in Metairie, LA and pressing the start button and having half the neighbor show when that blown hemi cranked up!! If Bill is still around tell him former stepson Randy Schafer said hi!

6. Mattimus

Mattimus

Unfortunately, that last map is long outdated. Any remains of the track have long since been covered by a new subdivision. I drive by there often and miss being able to see the drag strip up the hill between the trees.

Attached Files:

• ARP.png
      ARP.png
      File size:
      2.2 MB
      Views:
    Tommy R likes this.
  7. Tommy R

Tommy R

Whoa, worlds colliding once again. I'm from Metairie! Dad used to take me to the drag strip in Laplace in the '70s so I'm sure I've seen Bill run at some point, but was way too young to remember the details. Thank you for posting!