Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical halibrand wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WDobos, Apr 16, 2019.

1. WDobos

WDobos

one of my polished 5 spoke halibrand wheels cracked. I tried calling halibrand at 620/326/2111 and the phone company said the number was disconnected. I also tried directory assistance and it could not find a number for the halibrand company. Anyone know what's up with halibrand ?

2. alchemy

alchemy

I think there were some Halibrand 5 spokes in the classifieds recently. They are rare.

I bet you are SOL trying to get some new ones from Halibrand.

WDobos likes this.
  3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Do they look like these?

20170217_205503.jpg

When I ordered my Halibrand five spokes many years ago their financial problems had not become known yet but I was sensing something was up from some of the things the customer service lady wasn't saying.
    When mine showed up one of them had a fairly deep gouge that was obvious they had tried to buff out, but most definitely was not acceptable so returned it, when I finally got a replacement it sure looked like it came from a different run, machining was a little off and the polish work was not as consistant as it should have been. I called them and let them know that I still was not pleased and in so many words was told "be glad you got this one".

After their restructuring they stopped their conventional marketing approach and were selling a lot of wheels on "that auction site".
    I recall a lot of the five spoke wheels were singles, etc. kind of tells me they were cleaning house.
    What a shame to run such an iconic business into the ground.

zzford, KoolKat-57 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. .........................So true.:(

zzford and KoolKat-57 like this.

5. If I wanted to use the wheel, I would have Eric Vaughn weld it, and I would trust it completely.

6. aircap

aircap

7. WDobos

WDobos

8. WDobos

WDobos

I am going to get it welded , but my first choice was to replace it.

9. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Halibrand has been out of business for a long time. I see those all the time at swap meets as one guy at Long Beach has lots of wheels for sale. As mentioned, Eric Vaughn in Monrovia is the man to repair your wheel like new. He has been doing it for many years and founded the Real Wheel CO.

10. where exactly did it crack ? did you hit something ?
    you could keep an eye on ebay as i have seen some pretty low priced sets and pairs come up recently.

11. I have a set of 5 spoke Hals I got from a pal 3 or 4 years ago. He had them powder coated and ran them on a later model Ford p/u. One cracked through a couple spokes and he had a local genius tig welder repair it and it cracked again in two other spokes. I don't know if it just wasn't up to the load or what. Rich was still selling them on eBay in that size but couldn't do one in the big Ford pattern. I'm sorry to see that he has passed away.

It's too bad that the brand has probably passed with him.

12. basicbob

basicbob

WDobos, I have some Halibrand NOS polished 5 spokes. What size are you looking for & bolt pattern?

Thanks Bob

13. WDobos

WDobos

15X6X4 3/4

14. WDobos

WDobos

Bob, what do you have , you never got back to me

15. roxy42

roxy42

I'm looking for 2 15X7's Chev bolt pattern. If you can help, let me know. Thanks!
    Roxy 303.888.0799