Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Red Deer swap meet 2019

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brad2v, May 4, 2019.

1. brad2v

brad2v

I headed out for the 50th annual CAVAC (Central Alberta Vintage Auto Club) swap meet. A typical day in early May here in sunny Alberta. Snowing like a motherfucker, the highway was terrible. The drive up was well worth it however. Lots of cool stuff. I scored a pile of magazines to fill various holes in my collection. Not much luck on the parts front though, apart from an air cleaner lid for my Dart if I ever do a V8 swap. Here's a little taste. Forgive my finger in a couple pics, it was fucking FREEZING! rd372019.jpg rd37price219.jpg rd362019.jpg rd36price2019.jpg rd72019.jpg rd7price2019.jpg

catdad49, egads, 40LUV and 2 others like this.
  2. brad2v

brad2v

More; that Austin roadster was really cool, all aluminum body, I had no idea such a thing existed. rdA2019.jpg rdsign2019.jpg rda40sports2019.jpg rdustin2019.jpg rdTengine2019.jpg

Texas Webb, catdad49, egads and 4 others like this.
  3. catdad49

catdad49

Hope you still had your snow tires on! Agreed, that Austin would be a great build. Is there room for a hot flattie? Thanks for the pics, Carp.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I tried to head south to Red Deer for the swap meet.
    Heading out at 6AM,
    clear dry roads in the city quickly turned to ice and snow covered highway at Leduc.

Cars smashed into each other and rolled in the ditch.
    The further south it I went it got worse :(

I had already removed my winter tires too.

Driving the whole way at 60 KPH or less didn’t appeal to me so I turned around and headed home. :(
    So much for the swap meet.
    You’d never have expected that from the weather here in Edmonton.
    We had a clear dry sunny day.

Welcome to spring in Alberta :D
    By next Friday we’ll be up to 20C again :D

I cleaned up my garage and got ready for the next phase of wiring my RPU, the dash. :cool:

After that I washed my truck, and just enjoyed the beautiful day.

5. I don't believe they ever take their snow tires off in that part of the world!

catdad49 likes this.
  6. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I’ve always wanted to head east to the Red Deer swap. Glad I didn’t try this year. However I did mow the lawn for the sixth time this year!

Blue One and catdad49 like this.
  7. catdad49

catdad49

More than a few people won't get the lawn mowing comment, but I Do! Lived in UPstate N.Y. for most of my life and while my Bro-n-Law in S.Miss. is complaining about mowing his lawn in March, I haven't even seen mine since the previous fall!

8. brad2v

brad2v

The snow tires came off 3 weeks ago, it's spring after all! This is typical Alberta spring time, snowing this weekend, the forecast says 16 Celsius (60 ish fahrenheit) for Thursday. Which is good, cuz my lawn is green, and needs a mow. Yup, a flattie would definitely fit in that Austin.
    Good thing you turned back Larry, I heard it was terrible north of Red Deer

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    catdad49 and Blue One like this.
  9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The comment about never taking our snow tires off is pretty funny.
    Posted by someone who has probably never been here before.
    Those guys in the west who’ve been mowing their lawns for months now are an irritating lot :D

My lawn is a couple weeks away from mowing now.
    I was not happy with missing the swap meet, but I got some quality garage time.

And yes the roads and crashes north of Red Deer were really bad.
    Just not worth it.

catdad49 and brad2v like this.
  10. RockyMtnWay

RockyMtnWay

Glad I went up on Friday.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
    brad2v and catdad49 like this.
  11. brad2v

brad2v

I violated my swap meet rule "the early bird gets the worm". So, I didn't go up on Friday like I normally would. As a result, who knows what cool hot rod parts I missed. Oh well, I hit a pretty good honey hole of old magazines, so I still managed to get rid of my money roll, lol.

Blue One likes this.
  12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I’m going to go next May. Most times the weather cooperates so hopefully next May will be better :D
    Of all the swap meets we have yearly the May one is the best one geared towards our old car obsession.
    Some of the others are aimed at the racing go fast crowd.

brad2v likes this.