Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Stock 39 suspension

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowrodderchev, May 5, 2019.

1. I'm thinking of ditching my 6 cylinder in my 39 chevy master deluxe and dropping in a 350 do you guys think the stock 39 suspension will be ok or will I have to go with a mustang 2?

2. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 6 is a bit heavier than the beloved SBC if I recall correctly. The worry would be handling and braking as you enjoy about double the HP and speed.

Hnstray likes this.
  3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Hundreds of thousands of pre-war Chevrolets have had V8 transplants using the factory front suspension, both beam axle & the new for '39 SLA ''knee action'' ... building things as they were built in the '50s - '60s works just great if you use some common sense. Freshening all the moving/wearing parts, tube shocks, & a rebuilt '51 up Bendix brake setup is "traditional''; Pinto parts is not.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    e z i, F&J and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. Frontends all rebuilt and air ride was added. I switch it to a dual master and it stops on a dime just wasn't sure if I'd have any issues with a V8 swap

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Yep. The early SBC (265/283) complete, but without AC and the like, were reported as weighing about 530 lbs.....the 235 six cylinder engines were about 80 to 100 lbs heavier than that.