Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Larger spare tire well?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Dad Was A Racer, May 1, 2019.

1. Dad Was A Racer

Dad Was A Racer
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would like to carry a full-size spare the same size as my four wheels/tires (15x7) in the trunk in my spare tire well, but the stock well is too small for the larger wheel/tire combo. Has anyone installed a larger spare well? I can fabricate one from scratch, but it would be nice to know if there's something already made that I can just weld in.

It's going in a '56 Olds but I think anything made for a full-size sedan will work.

2. Make sure you have room; most cars of that vintage squeeze the tire well in between the fuel tank and the frame rail...

As far as sourcing one, try the boneyards but I suspect the issue will be that by the time 'modern'-sized tires arrived most cars no longer had that style well. Your best shot may be a late-model wagon.

Hnstray likes this.
  3. BJR

BJR

Couldn't you cut the original one down the middle and add a strip of metal to make it wider to fit the new tire? Or is the diameter bigger also?

Hnstray likes this.
  4. What BJR said

5. Dad Was A Racer

Dad Was A Racer
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think the diameter will be okay and it only needs about an inch of additional width to allow the full size tire to sit all the way down in the factory well. Widening it is a good idea.

6. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Id look at the space.
    I dont carry a full width spare. Mine is the same diameter of my others, but half as wide (if that) much easier to stow.

Hnstray likes this.
  7. slim39

slim39
    from pa

What Crazy Steve said, make sure you have room before you cut anything because that well is part trunk structure

8. If you have to build one may I suggest starting with a trailer fender?
    Flip it upside down and sheet metal in the sides.

upload_2019-5-5_16-54-29.png

Hnstray likes this.