Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Pet peeve time: Leave Sh!t Alone!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lostone, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Sporty45

Sporty45

I love this! I printed it out am I'm going to put it up in my garage. Then I'm going to make one to go under it that says "Because I'm too old to learn to do it the right way now!"

chryslerfan55 and upspirate like this.
  2. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

It amazes me how few even care when you show them their problem.

We just had another one come in this week, owner installed ball joints, drivers side loose in spindle. Show the guy, he just shrugs and laughs.

Honestly I think it basically boils down to 2 things, first- pride, we took pride in whatever we were doing, even if we were just learning. Second-we cared, it mattered to us.

Sadly I see very few take pride in anything they do, now it's about hurry up and get done. Even many shops have adopted this mentality.

3. Those would be the shops with 12 bays, and 59 cars in the parking lot and all of them eager to pay a $1200 bill

4. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My learning process:
    - Don't know shit.
    - Try to do shit anyway.
    - Screw shit up.
    - Research shit online.
    - Give shit another shot.
    - Stumble through shit.
    - Build confidence doing shit.
    - Take on more challenging shit.
    - Act like I now know shit.
    - Repeat process.

blowby likes this.
  5. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

There are so-called professionals that don't know shit either. In all my years as a professional mechanic, most of which was spent in a Ford dealership, I don't know many times the service manager would bring back a new hire introduce him , proceed to tell me that he would soon take my job. Within a week or two he would keep fucking things up, then the service manager would come and expect me to fix it for my time. I worked for a percentage of the flat rate, so at that rate I would break even, so I told him to stick it unless I was paid the flat rate repair. Then I was a real ass hole. Oh well, he would pay me but grumble the whole time

Truckdoctor Andy and The37Kid like this.
  6. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

It was stories from my friends who worked at dealerships that kept me working at independent body shops for years, since a lot of them pulled this crap in both service and body shop departments. Our local Buick/Cad dealer had a service writer famously known locally as "fuck 'em faster Fletcher", and he was good at getting the bottom line from both ends. Oh yeah, I forgot this, but his front end man put the steering linkage back together on a Cadillac I did a subbed-out-to-me frame pull on. The dumb ass lined it up with the linkage one turn to the left, with the wheels straight ahead, and certainly never test drove it afterward. As you can imagine, the bump steer was massive. The dealership calls me threatening to sue over this one. Cell phone cameras were not around 30 years ago, but I wish I had snapped a Polaroid of that mess. Betcha they never admitted fault to their customer either :)

7. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

The best one that happened to me was when one of the idiots they had hired replaced a water pump on a 6.9 for diesel. Kid went to start the truck it wouldn't start. I just happened to walk by and noticed a package of bolts on his bench. Ford in all its wisdom used 2 different water pump castings, a thick flange and a thin Flange. If the replacement pump had a thin flange they supplied the correct length bolts for the top flange. He used the original bolts which were too long and pushed the insides of the injection pump back ruining the pump. Of course I was told to put on a new pump for my time which I refused only did it for book time which I would make Fantastic time on. Boy was I the asshole for a long time. Ford supplied instructions on how to replace the pump if he only would have read them. He didn't last long after that episode

8. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I will keep in mind @OLDSMAN, since I have an '84 6.9 truck with an n/a 7.3 in it, using all of the accesory drives and flywheel from the 6.9. I like to say that poor truck is like George Washington's axe. Getting back on topic, the latest parts truck I am cannibalizing for it was a Godsend from an idiot. He put together a 1 ton, and for some reason picked the crappiest sheetmetal from both trucks to use. The shop owner I was working for last year up and threw him a quote, without looking at any of it, duh. Sure enough, after repairing this mess, I was bequeathed the parts truck. It almost made it worth the agony of putting up with the dumb $@&'s.