Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Smoothed and peaked '58 Chevy bumper build EDIT:It has been chromed!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Imperial Kustom, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Imperial Kustom

Imperial Kustom

Thanks! That's my beater '63 GMC.

2. Looks awesome, one of the best changes to make to the nose of a 58.

3. Imperial Kustom

Imperial Kustom

Thank you.

There is an initial flash plating process prior to the regular plating process to get better adhesion to the lead.

4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just was thinking of the abrading/polishing of the parts being plated looking almost chromed and thinking of how lead being softer or so I assume and how it plays out in the abrading process thinking it may choke and clog...where as steel wouldn't.

So short of fill free metalwork lead would be the chosen filler if needed. As alluded earlier I was unaware of it being useable. Thanks for explaining it.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  5. NICE!!
    What an impressive improvement
    Well played

6. Imperial Kustom

Imperial Kustom

It doesn't clog too badly. I did all of the metal prep with the exception of one deep scratch that I thought would be better repaired in brass by the chrome shop. Otherwise the metal was ready to be copper plated and block sanded.

Stogy likes this.
  7. chrisp

chrisp

All the chrome platters I talked too always told me no lead, so every time I modify or repair something that needs filler and chrome I do it with silver brazing.
    The bumper looks awesome.

Stogy likes this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hmmm...Sometimes information can change the dynamics of repair for damn near a lifetime...sounds like preference was given as gospel...oh well...:confused: