Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical how much clear coat?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deadtofall_11, May 4, 2019.

1. deadtofall_11

deadtofall_11

im getting ready to paint my 63 impala a flat black and im plan on spraying metal flake with a clear coat just on the roof of the car. Will 1 quart of clear be enough to spray the flake and be able to still have enough to bury the flake so i can buff it out to a nice shine?

2. Real flake or just the so called “flake” or metallic toners from a mixing bank.
    I don’t think that will be near enough to bury real flakes

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  3. Gman0046

Gman0046

Flat black and flake on the roof will look like Shit for sure especially on a 63 Chevy.

Last edited: May 4, 2019

4. Not really but it still takes clear.
    Any idea how much clear coat ?
    CACDF263-77C0-4B76-A027-CE569D196845.jpeg

deadtofall_11 and anthony myrick like this.
  5. If you buy a gallon and activator, you will have enough. Depending on how your flake lays, it could take 5 -7 coats to have enough to sand and buff to be good. If your flake is flat, it won't be right. This isn't easy for people with much exp. I would suggest you paint a test panel and see what it takes for you to be satisfied. Good luck!

6. Flat with flake sounds killer
    What color on the roof!

Be careful when you buff the roof. Cover the flat painted areas. Flat paint will shine up when you have to rub on it.

7. deadtofall_11

deadtofall_11

8. deadtofall_11

deadtofall_11

this is the color . bought a 16oz jar and its .015 flake

Attached Files:

anthony myrick likes this.
  9. Like it

10. I would do a test panel FIRST ! see how that flake lays down might have to use 3 quarts mixed sprayable just to bury it enough to colour sand and buff

11. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

What base color are you shooting the flake over? I have used house of color flake many times over the years on bikes and in different graphic applications on cars and trucks. A table spoon of flake goes along way in a quart of clear. I always use a base color close to the color of the flake. I Start out with a table spoon of flake to a quart of clear, apply the first coat over your base , add more clear to your mix and spray a second coat. Depending on the look your going for add more clear and maybe do a third coat. Then 2 to 3 coats of straight clear. Use the slowest activator / hardner you can . It will keep the mix open longer and improve flow out. If you clear involves a reducer, add an extra 10 % or so to your last 2 to 3 coats to also improve flow out. When I do an all out show finish, I then block that clear with 600 grit wet and then re flow clear it 2 to 3 more coats with 10% additionally reduced clear. I then color sand starting with 1200 and work up to 3000 and buff. Over kill on what your going for. A nice driver finish as I describe to begin with would take 3 sprayable quarts for a roof. Do a test panel to make sure it is what you want . If a test panel goes to hell you can toss it . the roof on your car is strip it and start over time. Larry

deadtofall_11 likes this.
  12. deadtofall_11

deadtofall_11

i plan on just spraying it over the flat black. I will definitely do some test panels . thanks for the input

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  13. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

When I did the roof on my ‘62, I sprayed 4 coats of clear over my flake coat.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

14. Knghtcadi

Knghtcadi

Use a intercoat clear for the flake it’ll keep your material build up down and you’ll use less then using clear , I always use house of color sg 100 intercoat with flake and bury it in clear , wet sand it again and reclear and you’ll be good

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. brandon

brandon

I like to use a spot urethane clear for my flake... get the flake down and give it a couple hours of dry time... Light scuff and 3 coats... Let dry over night and hit it with some 600 grit and let it sit over night , the 3 more coats. Like the base to be as close to the flake color as possible...

16. deadtofall_11

deadtofall_11

well sprayed the flat black today . after 5 coats of black the primer spots were still showing through so i just opted to clear and flake the whole car

Attached Files:

17. deadtofall_11

deadtofall_11

flake

Attached Files:

18. BC5281C5-5E59-485F-8196-E72866A3F4E8.jpeg

Painting ain’t easy