Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Anyone recognize this '34 Ford roadster-based special?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chrisbcritter, May 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Hi again! I was checking out a short film from 1946 titled Traffic with the Devil; while grabbing stills from it I spotted this little gem:
    34 ford custom 1.jpg
    34 ford custom 2.jpg
    34 ford custom 3.jpg
    Looks like a heavily-modified '34 roaster or phaeton body, Carson top, and maybe '35-'39 Ford truck rear fenders, maybe '40-up front wheels and wide-five rears. Does this look familiar to anyone? I'd like to find out more about it. Over to the experts...

And here's the film; don't miss the '30 highboy and the '38 Ford Standard with the fake hood exhausts:

2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Chrisbcritter interesting film...serious but also has some humor here and there (driven by the blind man)...:D...perhaps Ford was approached for some specialty vehicles albeit it was just a drive by. Interesting the hoodlum element...the hood ornament...and ironically I am still recovering from an accident involving exactly what the Highboy Hoodlum was doing...driving on the wrong side...it seems nothing has really changed has it?...

EdselFordspeedsterNo3_02_2500.jpg

:rolleyes:...It certainly looks uncannily like this...
    I'm far from an expert...:D...and it's not a 34...but if theres not a direct connection somebody was near cloning.

Below another variant of same...

EdselFordspeedsterNo3_03_2500.jpg

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2016/02/02/who-knows-what-happened-to-the-third-edsel-ford-speedster/

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    catdad49 likes this.
  3. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

Thanks for the film! Pretty interesting.

Stogy likes this.
  4. The car in the film matches the lines of the 3rd Edsel speedster, very cool.

302GMC and Stogy like this.

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It has smooth side panels...looks too be banged up...and it seems the later mods included a Carson top...so it must have been transitioning to the LaSalle version.

It seems as if Edsel was involved in the design and gifted the builders with it in the end...kinda sorta.

It is seen at 3:49 in film

Below is a English Ford based Special and the Third Speedster creation had some connection to England...I wonder if this one below is connected...stranger things have happened.

ford-v8-open-tourer-of-gjc-matthews-competing-at-the-lewes-speed-trials-sussex-1938_u-l-q13guqx0.jpg

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    cactus1, quick85 and catdad49 like this.
  6. Fordors

Fordors

Looks like it might be a 1935 Jensen Ford. Jensen was a British coach builder that re-bodied Fords into more of a sports car, and they also did “shooting brakes”, a Brit term for a woodie used by sportsmen on hunting outings.
    The old Special Interest Autos did a feature on them as did Ford Life magazine. The Ford Life article showed three cars that were shipped stateside (maybe for Ford to evaluate?) and one was intended for Clark Gable but I think he passed on buying it.
    I don’t know British cars but there was a Jensen Interceptor in the 1970 or 1980’s so the firm had a relatively long life.

Stogy likes this.
  7. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Thanks for all the info! The H.A.M.B. comes through again!

Stogy likes this.
  8. Just looked up 30s Jensen Ford specials, the bodywork on them are much different entirely coach built body. The one in the original post is based on a '33-34 roadster/phaeton cowl & doors like Edsel's third special.

Stogy likes this.
  9. This is killer and what I have in mind for my '34 phaeton! Thanks for the pic @Stogy! image.jpeg

Stogy likes this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had another close look at that image and it does have the LaSalle Grille but the louvers don't appear to be there...yet. The Fenders have been painted to match the Body and are those wire wheels covers and caps...I am curious if the Carson Topped pic with the dark fenders and louvered hood sides was near its last sighting in 1952...

In the film Dated 1946 it appears as a beater with significant damage to both front and rear fender, a cap is off and maybe even missing a driverside tailight...Ironically very fitting for this film...

Edsel3b.JPG

Quoted from Hemmings link...

"Ford gifted it to Gregorie not long after Gregorie finished it (and after Gregorie drove it through a snowstorm to meet with New York-based coachbuilder Brewster). Several years later, Gregorie sold it to a friend on Long Island, and it only reappeared once, in 1952, on a used car lot in Burbank, California. ‘The 1935 Special Sports had been repainted in a two-tone color scheme, and the body had been mildly customized by adding a LaSalle grille and a Carson padded top,” the Farrells reported."

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2016/02/02/who-knows-what-happened-to-the-third-edsel-ford-speedster/

Last edited: May 5, 2019