Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Compound curves

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pats55, May 4, 2019.

1. 62rebel

62rebel

I have never been a fan of the original Avanti design. As the sum of its part's, it's okay, but once you start looking at specific areas you wonder what Loewy had in mind.

2. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

A buddy of mine likes those fart block things that wear to shape for compound curves. Never used on myself, maybe someone else can comment.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

Either people love the Avanti or they hate it. There is no in between.30 years ago I wanted car that I could rebuild over and over with a fiberglass body that would not rust I picked up a 63 with the round headlights, didn't like the front of that one. The following year I picked up this one it had severe frame rot and the frame was bent. We straighten the frame with a bottle jack and a I beam and a chain. I've driven his car for 30 years so it doesn't owe me anything I'll probably drive it until I drop.

vtx1800 and loudbang like this.
  4. BigChief

BigChief

My standby is a 1/2 sheet of proper grit paper wrapped on a paint stick. Even pressure, light touch....let the paper do the work. Change direction as needed to level, smooth and shape. I do 80 percent of my block sanding this way. You do need to develop an eye and a touch for this. Guide coats can be quite helpful as can inspecting the surface and shape with wet primer as you lay it on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

anthony myrick likes this.
  5. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

Good tip I have used the paint paddle in the past. I brought home a large chunk of conveyor belt that worked great for sending blocks.. I like those dura blocks.

6. 62rebel

62rebel

Hand sanding is the only way to get the results you want. Orbital and reciprocating sanders are for getting close. Wander and check your work constantly. Don't stay in any one place longer than it takes to read this sentence.

7. Ziggster

Ziggster

I suck at sanding and bodywork. I'm always amazed when watching car resto shows and see no waves in the body work. It's the first thing I look for when I go to car shows. If I see waves in the paint, which is most often the case, usually right around and above the rear wheel opening, I'm reminded how few body shops have what it takes.

8. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

Ziggster You just have to keep practicing. Body work is tedious work and I worry who's going to do it for this next generation. This is hard work. One thing I learned stay away from dark colors especially black. The 1st car I did was LaSalle all the fenders had been hit with a ballpien hammer to knock the dents out . I was learning to do bodywork and told my mentor we have to paint it black. He cried, he begged, please don't paint it black. He was right I would rather go back to Vietnam than paint another car in black lacquer

9. alchemy

alchemy

I've read the term fart block or stink block before, but don't know what the thing is. Can you show a pic or link to the product? Is it a backer block that you attach your sticky paper to, or does it have the paper already on it?

10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I thought I found what I'm talking about online but that was a soft sponge deal with abrasive. What I remember trying years ago and seeing last week is a rigid block. As you sand it wears down, the one I saw last week had a curve that matched the hood he was sanding. And they do stink, or at least used to.

Pats55 likes this.
  11. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

I take it you didn't like what I did to the lights. I am convinced no matter what I did the front it still comes out ugly. I'm trying to post a picture of the entire car but it says I'm some kind of security risk