Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to mount Bias-Ply Tires in your own garage!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thunderbirdesq, Apr 2, 2010.

1. SAFU

SAFU
    from Arizona

That's it!!!! That's why we didn't use baby power, or corn starch for that matter. Geez...... I wish my memory was a little sharper. :cool:

SAFU

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't we all. It seems that C.R.S. is contagious, and spreading.:(

I do it all the time. Make sure you have a face shield on, or turn your head away. Works with huge tires on wide rims too. Leave the valve core out, so you don't over-pressurize the tire.

3. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I guess it's worth mentioning that just a light dusting of baby powder spread evenly around the inside of the tire will work fine, no need to go crazy with it.:cool:

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Baby powder is TOTALLY UNSUITABLE for this purpose. Baby Powder contains oils that will attack the rubber of the tube. Tire talc is not the same a pharmacy talcum powder........tire talc does not have oils in it. Perhaps corn starch is okay, but baby pwder should be avoided.

Ray

5. bct

bct

ive done plenty of tires with a bead hammer and a set of spoons so i was gonna bypass this thread....sure glad i didn't....thanks thunder

6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Bead Hammer"? Never heard of one.:confused: Can someone post a picture or at least describe what they are.

7. sawzall

sawzall

Andy. Thanks. I am embarrased to say I didn't realize these tires had a good and a bad side!!

For your next trick let's see you spin balance a 16 on your middle finger

8. bct

bct

[​IMG]

extreme skill required or shitty rims...lol

9. knotheads

knotheads

i started working in a gas station when i was 13, i have changed tires using tire irons and wrestling the tire around the floor , we also had the old manual tire changer at the station .most shops switched to the coats air machinesas time progressed. i have bought 4 manual tire machines at yard sales over the years and still use one when i mount used tires. i also bought a bubble balancer at a yard sale. this is the long way to say that that that tire machine was well worth the 20 bucks i spent .and i have lost track of the hundreds of dollars i have saved by using it.

10. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

As soon as i read this I knew what I was doing ater work,I just purchased my 48 stylemaster,has cokers,look brand new but dry rotted,they were a bitch to get off.Used a larger c clamp and peice of ply wood on one side to pop the bead.I used the powder on the tube and soap and water on the new tire.I also had to use a cinche strap to get my new coker tire to spread apart.Went on in 5 min.I had no worries about the tube twisting or pinching,it stayed in place and was much easier than the 120 psi road bike tires I have installed hundreds of times when I worked at a bicycle shop.This was soooooooooo much easier made me chuckle a bit.Mr. tire wanted $28 a piece to put these on.I just saved over a $100 bucks wooooo! hooooo!

kbgreen likes this.
  11. tatra

tatra
    from the peg

done a lot of rubber in my time.........tube type rims that have rivets shouldn't use tubless tires as there is no safety bead on the rim........when using a tire axe, it helps to lube the sidewall to allow control and a better hit........on this note, even with my experience, i have damaged rims.........soap and water will lead to corrosion, i use freylube no rim rust........never reuse a tube that has folds or creases in it, just asking for failure.........a four way core tool works excellent for keeping the valve stem in place.........tire talc, true dat......use it on fresh patches too to keep it from sticking to the tire for next disassembly.........make sure you install the tube in the correct positon, as in when you air it up and the valve disappears, wrong way...damhikt, lol......if this does happens and you left the valve core in, just use an awl to puncture the tube and repair as req'd. after you remove it.......MAKE SURE IT GOES IN THE CORRECT WAY THIS TIME.........if you do have rivets on your rims, try to use a liner if possible.......lot's of opinions on this as some argue it isn't necessary.........seen lots of flats from the rivets rubbing a hole or corrosion from the rivets causing leaks...........never exceed the sidewall pressure when seating beads........we were told 40 psi was allowed, never cared for that........screwdrivers are for emergencies and hacks.........bead damage is almost guaranteed...........will add more if i think of it............my own personal tire machine is an old rhino elec/hyd turtable style from at least the fifties if not the forties?........dunno, except i busted tires on that for years before buying it from my old boss.........other experience ranges from wheelbarrow to earth mover tires and everything in between........hope this helps.........

12. Prostreet32

Prostreet32
    from Indy

Your forgetting,..after the second inflation/tube centering, reinflate then:
    Take it to the tire store for 'Balancing",..it will roll and handle SOOO much better!

13. Overall a good tutorial that I'm sure helped many here. If you have plans on doing a few more, invest in some tire irons (2 will do), a hard rubber mallet and some tire soap solution, or make your own from dish detergent.

I've done tons of tube tires on wire wheels, split rim trucks, etc. I did lots of tire work in my garage too when I had to. I have a full set of truck tire tools including the prybar made for removing the lock rings on split rims.

The use of irons is an easy concept, they won't tear up a bead and take less force to get the first bead on. The rubber hammer can get a bead started for you as well. A little soap on the bead also helps quite a bit and lets the bead slip on the rim as you air it up.

I've never used powder on a tire installation, most tubes used to come with it already applied, but this was a few years back.

Bob

14. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

I with ya I had to use dish soap on the tires them selves,still no one has mention a sinch strap to go arround the tire to get them beads to seperate ,when the tires are brand new there wrapped/taped for shipping very tight...useing that made a huge differnace,my brother told me about that trick:) Oh yea and you dont have to use much soap/water to get the tire on the wheel,and once the tire in on the rim just wipe it of so there are no rust issues down the road

15. I've used a piece of rope and a stick to wrap around the tire and spread the beads. You can also lay the tire on the floor and stretch the sidewalls apart. Some shops I worked had the inflatable band.

The soap and water remaining isn't really an issue since it blows out once the beads were seated.

Bob

16. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

haha ! ♠only on the HAMB, can you get 600 ways to mount a tire! well it about covered all I remembered and then some, thanx for the post, now I will go out and hit a couple tires that need to be demounted.

17. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I have to add this to the flammable aerosol tubeless tire seating procedure; If you leave the valve core in, when the flammable vapor (acetylene, ether, etc.) cools off, it will suck your tire right back off the wheel. Don't ask how I know :eek: And seeing this method used many times, it's damn dangerous.

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  18. pecker head

pecker head

88095155-92F6-4137-ADBF-518CE074727D.jpeg 9E6F9967-E697-4ADE-A79D-FB72DDDE3237.jpeg Thanks guy, really easy .

19. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

How do you drive upon a tire to break the bead when you have the tire off and the car up on the jack?o_O

20. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ With another vehicle. ;)

Truck64 and gimpyshotrods like this.
  21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I said field/trail repairs.

If you go out on the trail in a 4x4 rig, alone, you are an idiot.

LOST ANGEL likes this.
  22. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

It was time to revive this old thread. Today I found myself needing to dismount one 15" tire, as I needed to get the wheel blasted and powder coated, and needed to get it ready today. Back in the 60's we used to do our tire changing in the yard, as we were mainly swapping used tires, as we couldn't afford new ones. To break down the beads, we would let the air out, and lay the tire and wheel down, and drive over the tire hugging the bead, while a buddy watched, and directed the operation. Another way, was to use a bumper jack, with the base placed on the bead, and jack the car up, Olds, Cads, and Buicks, were handy for that due to the weight. I have had a Bishman manual tire machine for 50 years, but things have been rearranged in my shop, and I didn't have access to the anchors it the floor. I did use it to break down the beads, and the rest was done with tire irons. It was a bit of struggle, and reminded me, I need to do more cardio exercises. The tires we dealt with in the 60's were usually 15" 4 ply, and the sided wall were limber, and fairly easy to deal with. After I got done, a closer look revealed it was a 6 ply, and the rubber was perhaps 45 years old. IMG_8353.JPG IMG_8354.JPG IMG_8356.JPG

Attached Files:

23. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

Working on those tires used to be so simple until some fool invented those "safety rims". I can install new tires on a Model A with no tools whatsoever. BTW, I wouldn't re-use that wrinkled, twisted tube.