Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Old friend-new life 57 High School hot rod re-build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tater Bug, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Totally understandable! :D:cool::D:cool::D

31hotrodguy, loudbang and Tater Bug like this.
  2. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Evil, Wicked, Mean & 57Nasty...Well deserved... @Tater Bug

loudbang and Tater Bug like this.
  4. loudbang

loudbang

Like your Randolph pilots sunglasses. In the USMC back in the late 60's we could go to supply once a month and get a free pair along with decks of cards and other stuff that was considered expendable. I built up a good collection and just opened my LAST free pair a month ago.

Car looks good too. :)

5. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

Classic! I was in the USAF (enlisted)... my grandpa who was a marine wore these so it just feels natural.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Tater Bug

Tater Bug

Well tuning and more tuning...
    I was having a fuel starving issue. The car was nosing down and losing power at 6,000 rpm. It really should be pulling up to 7..
    After some investigation and a bigger fuel pump (that I didn’t need) I found that the coating I put in the gas tank 20 years ago had come loose. I ended up swapping tanks. It looked like the old tank was full of big leaf tobacco.
    The pump and the filter were packed.
    Gonna flog it tomorrow and see if she pulls longer

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would say Filters are your best friend for this reason...and I know you had that covered...;) I'm sure you can have the tank stripped and dipped to revitalize it...Glad it wasn't worse.

31hotrodguy, Tater Bug and loudbang like this.
  8. I know this is a two year old thread since the last post, but after seeing the car this past weekend and now knowing the story, all I can say is AWESOME! Wish I would have spoken up Saturday when I saw you a couple times. Sam Kimbrough told me who you were and what car you had. I knew I loved the 57, but the story makes it that much better. Looking forward to running into you in person again sometime soon and will be sure to check out your car closer as well as meeting you in person. Thabks for taking us along on the rebuild! Can’t believe that I didn’t see this thread before now.

9. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I still have my 66 Bonneville from Electrical trade school.. I did sell it and my younger brother bought it and put it back in our family of cars. It was one of the nicest driving and looking cars I ever owned. It has a 421 Turbo 400, 3:08 posi. It came with one of the nicest interiors I ever saw. Everything was stitched. It was from southern California and was rust free when I bought it in 76..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    guthriesmith likes this.
  10. 5foot2

5foot2
    from Maine

Great thread. My son (16) and I just made a long, long, long round trip of Maine - Washington St - Maine to pickup a 57 hardtop that I owned in high school. It's also yellow (74 vette, if I recall).

427 sleeper, Thor1 and chevy57dude like this.