Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 Chevy 250 ci engine swap

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Keemo, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Keemo

Keemo

I have a 1950 Chevy Styleline Deluxe and have a chance to buy a 1970 250 ci six cylinder fairly cheap. My car currently has a 216 and three speed. I would like to do a later six open diff. and automatic trans.(on a budget of course) I’m told the 250 won’t fit because it’s too long. At least not without some pretty big mods like moving the radiator forward. But a couple other guys say it’ll fit. In fact one guy says he’s running a 250 and TH350 now. I realize I’ll have to fab motor mounts and a trans mount. But I really didn’t want to move the radiator or do any extensive mods to the core support. I’m trying to get as much info as I can so... Thanks for any help

2. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. I think that 250 is around 2" longer head & you need to measure to know for sure. I have not done that swap but look under your hood & check out the following - look at the carrier the radiator sits in (goes around both sides and bottom of radiator) and radiator is bolted in with 4 bolts. Measure the distance between rear and front of that fixture. Then if you unbolted radiator from rear side and moved it to the front how much distance would that give you? Should be around 2"+. If that gives enough for engine to clear firewall you should be ok as with the tranny & rear end change you can make the mounts & drive shaft fit by changing shaft length & that is no big deal..
    I have a 1957 235 in my 46 Coupe in place of the 216 but it is same engine length so I had no problem no problem there. My big mistake was letting the shop talk me into changing the totally wore out original 3 speed manual to a rebuilt T350 and using a 57 Chevy pickup rear end so original wheels would fit. Just had to make a correct length driveshaft. That dang 350 was the worst choice I ever made as it will not stop bleeding down fluid in the convertor when parked and if it sits parked around 3 days it leaks out over a quart of fluid thru the spedo cable. Shop changed O rings in spedo cable fitting but did not help. No one if my part of the world seems to have a clue of a fix for this drain down & leak problem.
    When I get thru with current 50 Plymouth project so I will have some spare cash that 350 is coming out and going back to a standard shift. Again it was the worst decision I ever. May keep the 57 rear end.
    Jimmie

3. belair

belair

I put one in a 48 Fleetline. I know that's a different generation, but it was a great swap. Used a th350 and a 57 chevy rear end. 4bbl and duals. LOVED the way it went down the road. Did it in the driveway over the weekend. Motor mounts took a little thought, used 70 chevy pick up mounts. And I did use an electric fan, and the original radiator. Good luck. @ol-nobull -need a good grille for that 46?

4. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi Belair. My Grille is fine but I need a trunk lid, rear bumper and rear splash guard as I got rear ended in the 46.
    Jimmie