Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***May 2019 Banger Meet - May all 4 stay in the block***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Apr 30, 2019.

1. 25mercury

25mercury
    from California

There is a real deal T accessory steering gear on the MTFCA site, where you posted your ad. It's a "Recording Devices Balanced Pressure Steering Gear". Here's a pic of the one in my Mercury Speedster fullsizeoutput_11f.jpeg
    DSC08566.JPG

Jet96, Old Dawg and winduptoy like this.
  2. Checking in for the first time, after having the A in storage, life getting in the way, making the garage usable. I have made a start!!!!

7FBC8F98-15D4-41F2-9F91-B3001DC96B48.jpeg

3. surf10

surf10

IMG_7150.JPG
    Few bits followed me home

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Shutter Speed and Jet96 like this.
  4. Hi Lynn, hi Brett.

Just my small change...
    First off, I am in no way affiliated (living in Denmark), but I too have had good corrospondance with Dennis and Beth Piranio.

Lynn, I’d have the block pressuretested. Making a couple of flanges for in and out lets is easy, I just use tap water pressure- showed my “head gasket eating” (or so I thought) B block to be cracked. :-(
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    And then I’d go with one, who to be trusted- and first inpressions is very inportant! Dennis gave me a good one!

Brett, I’d look into this: http://www.modelaparts.net/special.htm/intake.html, if I wasn’t lucky enough to have bought a Simmons Swan intake in one of my “I got money!... now they are spend!” spreas.
    With a B carb, it should make for a great pre-WW2 setup. :)

Keep ‘em kruzin!

Dannerr

Old Dawg likes this.
  5. Sorry to ask, I know this has been discussed alot in the past, but now I can’t find the info:
    Fuel pressure regulators, for low pressure (3psi), what should I buy (and more important: NOT buy)?

Keep ‘em kruzin!

Dannerr

6. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I am using a Malapasi pressure regulator and filter combo. I have had no issues with the unit. I like it because of the glass filter bowl. Looks old. Here is a picture from when I was putting the cat together three years ago.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Jet96, barrnone50, waxhead and 2 others like this.
  7. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I emailed the guy as soon as I saw the response, but it was sold. such is life. Will keep waiting on watching. Need to brush up on my geometry.

8. [​IMG]

I’m running this Carter 6 volt pump, but just meassured it to put out 8,5 psi (0,6 kp/cm2), so looking for a new setup. Are there any good adjustable 6 volt pumps on the market?

Keep ‘em kruzin!

Dannerr

9. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I would just put put a pressure regulator between the pump and the carb. They aren't very expensive through jegs or summit or speedway. Would be cheaper than a new pump. I know you are on Europe so it might be a wait. I got my malipasi piece from a place in England. Units without the filter were available too and were less than the filter ones. In the US most auto parts have cheaper ones also.

Sent from my P7100 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Dannerr likes this.
  10. JT1930

JT1930

Gents. On my Winfield 6.1 head I’ve been told to run either the ngk bp6hs 1/2” reach(first picture) or the ngk bp6es 3/4” reach(second picture). The 3/4” are too long and the 1/2” look too short.

What do you guys run in these heads. Can I get shims for the 3/4” or are the 1/2” good?

Thanks.

EF25A12B-AC41-4F88-B601-F3D4525A943B.jpeg 3437A6CE-4D47-4B7F-BC3B-D642794FB297.jpeg

11. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

short reach

JT1930 likes this.
  12. Both plugs will work
    If you can find some Plug indexing washers you can run the 3/4"easily
    The 1/2" looks too short, could also have the plug recess machined down some.
    Who made the head?

John

Old Dawg and JT1930 like this.
  13. JT1930

JT1930

14. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I would clay top it to be sure .

Old Dawg and JT1930 like this.
  15. Not an original Winfield? it looks too clean

J

16. JT1930

JT1930

Yes repop 2005

17. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

I used the longer reach Ngk and made some copper washers to index to the correct height

Old Dawg, waxhead and JT1930 like this.
  18. JT1930

JT1930

Thanks burl

19. noboD

noboD

I don't have the racing experience John has but every book I have read says no threads exposed in the combustion chamber. If you can get the right reach plug in a heat range you want I would use the long ones with spacers as has been suggested.

gas pumper, Old Dawg and lake_harley like this.
  20. I know that I don't know all, but I have seen a thing or two.
    Copper plug indexing washers come in a couple different thicknesses and I have used them stacked to get an odd plug to project properly. Check good old Speedway motors, usually a bag assortment is available.
    On some old Briggs alky motors, the plug liked to be pointing electrode towards ex valve to burn on intake side before ex valve opening. Big difference over 5k revs.
    Somewhere I have pics of a 8:1 Winfield re pop head that the valves interfered with the plugs and I welded them up, moved them over and also angled them to clear. Some of the stupid crap we do when left without supervision.......

John

Jet96 and winduptoy like this.
  21. JT1930

JT1930

I got a set of Moroso spacers coming. I’ll get it worked out. Thanks hambers

22. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I know that I don't know all, but I have seen a thing or two.

john I thought you were the GURU !

23. Steve,

HA! had you fooled!!
    No, when we start to think we know it all we have lost the ability to learn.
    Trust me, I learn new things every day, the best lesson is how to listen............

as the old saying racing goes;
    "racing is about asking questions, going fast is asking the right questions"

for me, the most dangerous thing is to be left without supervision..............

J

Old Dawg and Binger like this.
  24. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

checking in for the month getting closer run some wires,run a fuel line and finish brakes should be running soon
    28.jpg

Tim, Shutter Speed, Dannerr and 4 others like this.
  25. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

john , my supervisors don't like me anymore ………….

waxhead likes this.
  26. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

Same head, doing the same with spacers on 3/4" plugs. Any recommendations on where the electrode should be facing? Might as well index them since I have to use spacers.

27. railcarmover

railcarmover

Mine protruded with the 3/4 plug, no threads,just that 'shoulder' with a crush washer on plug. Did you measure piston protrusion?you might need to relieve the head

28. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_20190509_084454161.jpg Drilling holes in blocks again. Rod hit block in a previous life.

Sent from my XT1254 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Jet96, Binger and JT1930 like this.
  29. JT1930

JT1930

@railcarmover piston does come out of the hole a little but that’s all taken care of with the right head gasket. Even if I were to relive the head that will not solve the spark plug issue. This is a repop head so I don’t expect it to be like the originals. The 3/4 plugs go too far in for my liking. Spacing them out will get the right protrusion.

@MJW ideally you want the gap side of the plug facing your intake valve. (Ground strap end pointing at intake valve)

MJW likes this.
  30. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

[​IMG]

what kinda coupe ? ………………….. steve