Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 36 Terraplane Pickup barn find!!!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by USMercUte, May 1, 2019.

1. USMercUte

USMercUte
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have know about this pickup for probably 30 years, inquired about it but it was tied up in an estate dispute. It was poorly stored in a shed going back to the earth, made one last ditch effort to save it and it is now on the trailer in our yard. Now what the hell do I do? P1000066.jpg P1000065.jpg

2. Rckt98

Rckt98

Is it a pickup or a cut down sedan? Hard to tell from the pics.

3. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

IMHO; Those have the coolest grille design!

4. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

Interested...sub'd.

Been through Williams quite a few times. Dry country.

5. ...what a lump!...but it's a nice lump,...these mid 30's Terraplane p.u.'s are so cool,...good luck with it.

6. Nice save.Just keep it above the ground like the red and black above^^^^

USMercUte likes this.
  7. That's a good save - you don't see many like that around. I like the curves on it. Especially that grill!
    Definitely build it.

Stogy, USMercUte and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I hope you found the rear fenders,, as I thought 40 Ford's were getting expensive I can't imagine the cost of those

9. 1954 rocket 98

1954 rocket 98

Man, those are great looking trucks. if it was mine i would be working on it. if you need some inspiration here is a few pics i took at a few shows of some nice ones. HPIM0548.JPG SANY8835.JPG SANY8836.JPG SANY8837.JPG

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  11. pkhammer

pkhammer

Those trucks are so unique and stylish. Great save!

lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  12. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Take 'em out to Moab for Jeep Week

13. USMercUte

USMercUte
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry to not get back to you guys but was away from the computer. First, a little history on this truck. It was a farm truck here in the local area its whole working life. At one point converted to a tank truck for hauling water. The bed was removed with a hot wrench at that time (many many years ago), however the bed parts and rear fenders survived and are included. A hot rod buddy of mine remembers riding in it as a kid. I am in a quandary as to what to do with it and I am not a restorer. I really like the red and black one 31Vicky posted but with modern running gear. Apparently the 36 was the only one with suicide doors and the grills are 1 year only as well. The cream colored one 1954Rocket posted has vent windows but this one has 1 piece glass in the doors. Also the 36 has the headlights on the fenders and the 37-38's they come off the grill shell. The dash is to die for and is the same as the one pictured above. For now it is getting 30+ years of dirt and grime removed before putting it in a container until I figure out it's destiny. Thanks for all the posts. It really is a pretty cool old truck. John

14. WC Durant

WC Durant

Very cool! I'd put it together like that red and black version above. Dig the grill and rear fenders.

USMercUte likes this.
  15. USMercUte

USMercUte
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So I have got the old gal cleaned up and parts inventoried. Only thing I need is a headlight or a pair if anyone out there has a lead on one, let me know. I was able to find a left hand headlight pedestal on evil-bay so I do have that coming. A day and a half of rat poop and owl crap and the old gal came up pretty good. Floorboards all need replacing (no big deal) as does the lower back of the cab. All the bed pieces are there but with very basic sheet metal fabrication I think new ones can be made using these for patterns. Big key is that the rear fenders are savable and basic metal working skills is all they require. Does anyone know if the rear bumper was different from the front? or was the rear one optional?? Before it goes in the container we will stage it in the backyard when we host a rod run on the 14th. Be interesting to see what any of the local rodder's reaction is. We plan to post some pictures of our backyard rod run on the 14th. We are calling it the "Because we can" rod run. Yes it will be on a Tuesday but most of old farts are retired so we can. Time for an adult beverage and good shower after today. Terraplane cleaned up.jpg

16. Latigo

Latigo

Just cries out for a hemi.

17. toml24

toml24

Media blast it, prime it, then decide what to do with it. Great save. Congratulations!

chryslerfan55 and USMercUte like this.
  18. JJ’s66

JJ’s66

Know you take one step back and say to your self ( what did I get my self into? ) then you step into the garage and enjoy it one day at a time. The late sleepless nights, long hours and busted knuckles is just part of why we all enjoy this Life style or hobby so much.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. That’s all fun and games till someone gets,,, runs out of money. Lol

20. That has to be one of the prettiest trucks eve built !!!

It looks like the bosses truck, so fancy with the grill and fender styling !

Love it !! Great score

Hey @31Vicky with a hemi
    Thus is me on a daily basis 0C2682D2-5487-4064-BFD3-046AE405A73B.gif

21. rusty valley

rusty valley

that truck is cool shit man....mr vandenplas, where do you come up with this stuff?
    • :D

22. I grew up with a 1937 Terraplane coupe pickup in my front door yard...wonderful memories when I saw your barn find...thanks for posting on here...

MikeC

USMercUte likes this.
  23. Bajita

Bajita
    from Laredo

Yours has suicide doors as the black truck doesn't What year is yours.
    By the way great find. Congrats.

Stogy and USMercUte like this.
  24. RDR

RDR

She's a Beaut !
    A one eyed beaut, but you know you love her !!

USMercUte likes this.
  25. USMercUte

USMercUte
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lots of interest in this old bucket and I use that term loosely as I now have a good feel for the quality of the old bones.
    So just for the sake of conversation, I would propose a build plan and have you guys shoot holes in it...…...I have a roller 302 injected Ford and an AODE as well as a 9" diff on hand and serviceable. I have enough Mustang II parts to do a front end. My whole focus would be to keep the exterior as close to stock as possible. Maybe with skirts, maybe without. Really like the two color paint jobs, not sure on the colors. Artillery wheels???? Because at this point no decisions are made let me know your thoughts, mild to wild, but I would tend to stay fairly conservative.
    Thanks in advance for your input...John

Late to the Party likes this.
  26. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I would not put a Chevy, Chrysler or Ford engine in it......it would be great with a Packard, Studebaker, Olds, Caddy or a nailhead! Also I'm not crazy about using Mustang II front end. Just my 2 cents worth :rolleyes:

alanp561 and SS327 like this.
  27. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

The most appropriate motor may be since it's a Hudson, since Nash and Hudson merged to form AMC 18 years after this was made then using a Rambler/AMC like the popular 304 or 360 is a good choice.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

USMercUte, Dick Stevens and Stogy like this.
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hudson had quite the reputation in the race scene back in the day...did it have an engine in it?

Similar to Ford flatheads there were probably years of preference for hotrodding/race...and this is the Hamb so as alluded the Mustang ll and other stuff is far from Traditional.

I don't dictate direction to fellas here but we really should respect the platform we have been given. So a suggestion if you are truly going Inspired Traditional at the very least have the thread moved by a Mod to the Hokey Ass Forum in respect to those that work hard within the guidelines to build Truly Traditional...

Still look forward to your getting this together @USMercUte as they make stunning haulers...distinctly one of a kind.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  29. chiro

chiro

John,
    I think your idea is just great. You have available parts to upgrade and build it. Go for it. The heck with naysayers. After all, there were independent suspensions, coil overs, disc brakes and air bags on hot rod show cars going back to the 60's and probably earlier. Hot rodders have always taken available hardware and built their machines to their own liking. True, this is a traditional forum and you DO have a traditional truck there.
    Just my two cents.
    Andy

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  30. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

A very unique 'ute' as we call them down here, ours however have the PU bed built into the body. It's refreshing to see the correct grill on the right car for a change rather than a RR.