Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bench seat options for a 53-55 F100

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by MaineRodder, Apr 29, 2019.

1. MaineRodder

MaineRodder

I could use some advice from the guys who have done it before...What late-model bench seats fit well in a '53-55 Ford pickup? Of course I'd love to have an original, but I'm having a hard time finding one, then there is the cost of the frame, foam, cover, and probably shipping. I tried searching for similar threads, and in one about F1's I saw a couple guys mentioned they were happy with '96 Silverado seats and '88 Chevy pickup seats in their F100's. What others would fit well? The simpler the seat the better - I'd prefer no armrests or headrests.

Thanks

-Jamie

2. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Put a 66 El Camino seat in a Hobby members 54 F100. Gave enough room on sides for retractable shoulder belts.

3. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

The 88-95 Chevy Silverado seats are a simple swap. Basically drill the 4 mounting holes. The Chevy seat riser is good on the F100 too.

The seats headrests pull out easily, leaving two small round registers per side.

However, In my opinion, when you sit in the seat “well” in the proper place to be centered on the steering wheel in the Chevy, you are not centered on the wheel in the F100.

That drives me crazy!!!!

4. I'm putting an 87-91 Ford F-150 bench in my 54 F100. It's about 6 inches wider than the stock seat, so it fills the factory gaps between the doors and and the seat. I wanted the wider seat because I want to be able to fit three adults on occasion. Plus it cost me $6 at my local pick and pull.

5. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I'd keep looking for an original.. So many put newer seats in I'd think it would be fairly easy to find an original that somebody wants rid of...

stanlow69 likes this.
  6. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I agree with Jim although after several years I have adjusted to the lack of being centered in the seat.

Jim Bouchard likes this.
  7. Back in 1978 I put a 1975 F-100 seat in my 55 F-100. As I remember it was a direct bolt in and just a touch wider and about 2" lower in the Cab. Problem with finding one of them now is that it will probably need to be reupholstered also. Funny, the 53 F-100 I'm building today has the stock seat in it and I lowered it on the stock glides 2". I must have really liked that old 55.

8. I have 3 OE ones. All need work. If you can figure out how to get one from MT to ME it's yours.
    I'm not interested in trying to ship one though...

9. MaineRodder

MaineRodder

I appreciate the offer, but I'm much too far away. I also respect that you wouldn't want to ship it because something that big is a pain in the butt to handle and ship.

10. MaineRodder

MaineRodder

Thank you all for your thoughts.

-Jamie

11. deucemac

deucemac

I put a '69 Lincoln Mark III power seat in my '56 F100. I used 283 square tube as a spacer. It fit perfect and had about 5 inches gap on each side. Loved it.

12. 32fenderless

32fenderless

If you go with the earlier of these truck say 88-91 the seat foam isn’t contoured like the later years and you won’t have that offset feeling. Also do not get the seat with the tweed type material that is glued to the sculpted foam like pleats. Your upholsterer will hate you for it.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Jim Bouchard likes this.
  13. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

^^^^i completely agree

I’ve had my Upholstry shop level out the sculpting and the ones with the pleats are a bear. The low dollar/low option trucks are the best choice.

14. You must have moved the gas tank out of the Cab or your less than 5' tall (maybe both). Those seats have a very thick seat back keeping you from moving the seat to a comfortable place.

15. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

my vote goes to OEM seat

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  16. deucemac

deucemac

I am 5'10 and me, the tank, and the seat got along quite well. I wasn't sure when I started but all went well. I had to ditch the headrests because with the seat all the way back, they would rub on the window, otherwise, no problems.

17. MaineRodder

MaineRodder

Thanks all. It sounds like there are some options that have worked for you guys, but they all come with some compromise compared to the OEM seat. If you get any leads on an original seat for sale please keep me in mind.

18. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I had the original seat in my 53 at first but did not find it comfortable and replaced it with the 92 ( I think) Chevy seat. I like a firm seat as opposed to the original bouncy seats. Just personal preference, but that it mine.

stillrunners likes this.
  19. 32fenderless

32fenderless

Isn’t the gas tank on all 53-56 trucks under the cab between the chassis and door sill?

20. No, 53-55 is under the floor. 56 went inside the Cab. Fill tube also went to the Passenger side in 56. What was that all about?

21. Zax

Zax
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

22. 32fenderless

32fenderless

I didn’t realize that 56 was different. No disrespect. Just assumed they were the same.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  23. No problem 32fenderless. 56 had many one year only small changes. Until you are building one and go hunting for pieces most are unknown.

32fenderless likes this.
  24. MaineRodder

MaineRodder

stanlow69 likes this.
  25. Zax

Zax
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

No problem. Hope it works out for you.

26. Roadoilers

Roadoilers

I put a 56 Oldsmobile front bench

27. JGIBBS

JGIBBS

Do you still have these? Looking for one for my pickup. This is Josh Gibbs, Mark’s son from the valley.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

My '54 has a 80's F150 seat in it. Fits ok. The issue with the later F-series seats is the mounting. The rear mount is flat like the floor, but the front mount is on an angle. Chevy seat mounts are all flat, much easier.

29. Hi Josh. Yes I still have one. It needs recovered. Message me here or call me.
    Edit; Kenneth has my cell number, I'm not gonna post it here.

30. TCATTC

TCATTC

I adapted a "85 C-10 seat to the F-100 base. Fits perfect.