Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical are scatter shields necessary?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, May 3, 2019.

1. Yep....they're only necessary if you don't want to chance losing your family jewels....or worse.

OLSKOOL57, reagen, Woogeroo and 5 others like this.
  2. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's the last time he will ever put that DVD in that player
    Somebody got lucky

OLSKOOL57, reagen, Woogeroo and 4 others like this.
  3. Slopok

Slopok

Ever hear the phrase Pop the clutch?:eek:

4. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

I didnt realize that was Q&D!

OLSKOOL57, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. Could have been the BIG OUCH!!!!!!:eek:

OLSKOOL57, Woogeroo, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  6. pitman

pitman

Funy looking radar detector there!

7. Ask the swamp rat if they are necessary
    Chappy

8. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

how did the disc exit the bell housing in one piece?

OLSKOOL57, Deuces, clem and 1 other person like this.
  10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Looks like he just got a nickname, "Mr Lucky" !

11. mohead1

mohead1

Whoa he was lucky

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OLSKOOL57, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  12. I was sent the pictures. does any body know the story? looks like his foot had to take a hit.........maybe just bruised.

13. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is an SFI bellhousing. Quick Time makes an excellent product, it is pretty rare to see that.

-Abone.

OLSKOOL57, Deuces, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  14. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

catdad49, OLSKOOL57, bobss396 and 5 others like this.
  15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That's a fact Marty!
    Hey Tony, you're gonna have to make an addition to the cars' name.
    "Quick and Dirty and Lucky"

16. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

I was with a good friend when that happened. he was lucky to not lose a foot when it let go about 7500 rpm. trans spun sideways and shifter and t handle got him in the leg. he was sore! nothing broken except car, engine block ,4speed,scattershield,flywheel, back of tunnelram dash and hood all junk.

17. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Are they necessary? If it's a mild mannered motor and the driver doesn't do stupid stuff, no. If it's a 500 HP smallblock with a T-10 behind it, ask my friend Walter. He only has two toes on his right foot because of a clutch explosion.

OLSKOOL57, Woogeroo, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  18. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Looks like that Quick Time unwound itself right beside the welds. We used to use them in our dirt cars. Knew the guys that started the company just outside Oskaloosa, IA. Even gave them a bell to use for making a template for a Y block truck/car bell. Better product before the company sold. They should be asking for that one back to see what went wrong. These pics are all over the internet. It should not have come apart like that. Bad welding practices but it got an SFI sticker slapped on it so it's all good....
    SPark

catdad49, pitman, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  19. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

One of them Clutch-Flights?

OLSKOOL57, Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. egads

egads

^^^^^^^^^^Clutch-took-Flights

Old-Soul, OLSKOOL57, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  21. larry k

larry k

Not anymore than your feet are !!!

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  22. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Are they necessary? Are helmets, roll bars, belts, fire suits?..

23. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Depends on what type of performance you're into however many sanctioning bodies require minimum engineering / safety standards before you can play with them.

The SFI Foundation, Inc. (SFI) is a non-profit organization established to issue and administer standards for the quality assurance of specialty performance and racing equipment. The SFI Foundation has served the automotive aftermarket and the motorsports industry since 1978. Our service to the industry is a system of developing and administering various standards, certifications and testing criteria for use in motorsports.

Specifications & Participating Manufacturers
    SFI Specifications establish uniform test procedures and minimum standards for evaluating and determining performance capabilities for products used by individuals engaged in competitive motorsports.
    https://sfifoundation.com

upload_2019-5-4_18-49-35.png

I may never need it however for a few bucks more I bought an SFI rated balancer, flexplate and shield. Better be safe than sorry, cheap insurance than alternative outcomes should things go belly up!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. The Magic Ratchet

The Magic Ratchet

I can't tell for sure but looking at the 3rd photo in the very first post, it seems like that scattershield may have been run without a block plate. That situation would, easily, cause a failure like that.

Lou

25. gene-koning

gene-koning

I'll bet that experience left a stain in the underwear!
    For the disc to leave pretty much intact, it had to break off the input shaft on the trans, bet that made a lot of noise coming apart. I wonder if this was the 1st clutch explosion this scatter shield had seen, or if it was an "experienced" scatter shield?
    At any rate, there would be a different brand name scatter shield in there the next time if it was me. Gene

catdad49, OLSKOOL57, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  26. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Only necessary when something lets go, but who knows when that could be, so yes...

27. I have a step by step drawing of how the disc got off the trans - we're going to NHRA Southern Nats today, I'll try to post my stuff tonight.

Not a scratch on this ol boy! Guardian angels are real folks.

And this is why I closed my Facebook account. It failed because I drilled a hole in it to gain access to the base pressure on the clutch - which we all do - the broken steel clutch hat was rotating around and finally caught the hole and zip ! No block plate or bolt grade would have had any effect. I was talking to the Holley rep about this issue of us needing access to the clutch. Then I was bashed off Facebook as a Hillbilly - whether they were connected to that or not - don't know.

Bottom line DO NOT DRILL on a QT bell.
    Just my opinion but its not suited for a 900HP stick car.
    I'm mainly concerned with the other racers I know who have access openings to adjust the clutch on this model bell housing.

Last year Ernie had a clutch explode in a Lakewood and it bent the hell out of it but nothing hung up on the access hole he cut . (the bell is 1/4" thick and no welds)

I'll need to cut a hole on the new Lakewood bell housing I just bought - they don't come with any access to the air gap or base pressure adjustment. That bell is not welded and its 1/4" thick - not 1/8" and a cover can be bolted over the access hole. And this is the issue I have with the manufacturing process - why don't they come with an access and a cover already?

Stay safe everyone -

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    GuyW, catdad49, OLSKOOL57 and 17 others like this.
  28. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

If those pictures don't make people understand that nothing will. That is scary stuff!!

OLSKOOL57, loudbang and Deuces like this.