Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical PF141 filter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fordoldfart, May 3, 2019.

1. Fordoldfart

Fordoldfart

can a pf141 oil filter be used as a fuel filter. I have an older 2 1/2 ton winch truck gas tanks are pretty bad and the little in Line filters plug pretty quick. I have a remote oil filter canister that use a pf141 filter. I would like to plumb this in as a prefilter to catch the big chunks and the add a finer filter before the the carb.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  2. I use one of these to catch the tank crap
    It’s visable and cleanable
    FA51AF4F-AAC0-4EF7-80D0-3263737CB360.png

3. mohead1

mohead1

Most can.....check manufacturer for compatibility w fuel. Some adhesives used inside filter cans may be affected by fuel products

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

4. I hope that clear filter is not glass. I'd not want a glass gasoline bomb in my ride.

Phil

5. XXL__

XXL__

Glass fuel bowls were factory installed on millions of cars. My 51 year old daily driver is sporting the one that came from the factory with. No explosions yet.

6. Slopok

Slopok

True but yours wasn't made in China!

7. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

The old OEM glass bowls and those cheapo inline glass filters are 2 totally different animals.
    SPark

8. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

I had one of those clear glass filters crack from end to end, fortunately I smelled gas before there was a fire.

9. I see the point
    Put close to 100k miles on these. No issues. A steel line from the pump to carb cracked one time though.
    Always make sure they are mounted where they can’t bump into anything just like any other filter

XXL__ likes this.
  10. I have an old o/t vehicle with scale in the tank, and three years ago, I did what you are thinking of doing. It works great, and it now looks like I have filtered out all the scale. Another filter that works well for this job, is the old general type furnace filter.
    If you have a problem with water in the fuel, you can purchase a marine filter like the one below, and it will remove the sediment and the water. Once it is cleaned up, you can remove it and use it somewhere else. I have one in my Bobcat loader because it sits a lot.

Bob

WB69, catdad49, mohead1 and 1 other person like this.
  11. mohead1

mohead1

Yes, what Bob said....i forgot about marine fuel filters. I have the basic screw on fuel filter/separator on my boat. Use one of those and your set

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk