Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Belt Routing?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Algoma56, May 3, 2019.

1. I've added a power steering pump to the SBF in my 47 coupe. The v-belt hits the lower radiator hose. I've tried a couple of different lower hoses, to clear it, but it's just not giving me a good feeling as the belt will still run too close to hose. Are there any tensioners, or idler pulleys, available that will run on the backside of the v-belt, so that it will change the path, and I can get clearance back? I can make a bracket to mount it, just want a reliable solution.
    Thanks.

2. pitman

pitman

You'll want to use an Idler, on the 'slack' side of the belt to the crank.
    Look over any 6-71 GMC blower drive, it uses up all tension, pulling the rotors, the Idler then maintains 'wrap' , so it means you should idle on the side which the belt leaves the crank pulley. (Not the tension side)

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  3. Yep, that's what I'd like to do. where can I find an idler for backside of v-belt, so that it will wrap the pump pulley, and bring it closer to engine centerline. Can I use a serpentine belt idler, on backside of v-belt, and hope it tracks okay?

4. pitman

pitman

Unsure, as not all V belts have flat backsides. If so, I'd try it. Use as large a dia, that will fit, w/adjustment swing. A notched inside V-belt may be better if avail.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  5. After CT's post, I found an old idler in my spares collection. From a Chevrolet pickup with serpentine system. I'll mock it up, if I can get good mounting location, and see if it will work.
    Thanks for directing me so far.

X-cpe and tb33anda3rd like this.
  6. X-cpe

X-cpe

Try googling 'fan belt idler pulleys'. There are a bunch of pictures w/part numbers and some of them have flat surfaces with ridges on the edges.

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

8. bracket recess.jpg Update.

The only threaded boss I could use to mount some type of backside idler would make the belt do a 90* turn. Would give me lots of clearance, but a lot of load on that idler mount. That, and the fact that car is all together, I could barely reach the area, let alone work in it. I filled and re-drilled the holes on my pump bracket, so that it would move closer and higher on engine. I recessed the top mounting bolt, so that I could swing pump closer in as well. These modifications changed the belt angle, and gave me better clearance on the hose.