Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The $60 paint booth.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, May 3, 2019.

1. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I must be getting ambitious in my old age. Getting my sons ‘65 Ford wagon ready for paint, and decided I ought to tarp off the garage bay it’s in. Three 75’ rolls of 4 mil poly and some 3M HVAC mylar tape, and I have crude, relativity clean shop to paint in. Why have I never done this before? [​IMG][​IMG]
    Maybe I’ll get REALLY ambitious and paint the T’bird while it’s still tarped!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

fauj, scotty t, Ford52PU and 10 others like this.
  2. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

Great way to do it! Painted many a VW in my old garage that way.

flynbrian48 likes this.
  3. hoodwinx454

hoodwinx454

That’s one of the best ways to keep the overspray contained and not all over the garage. Takes some time to put up but well worth it. Can’t wait to see how the wagon turns out.

flynbrian48 likes this.
  4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

You definitely need to take advantage of the get up and go before it gets up and leaves. :D. Knock two projects out , priceless.

flynbrian48 likes this.

5. bchctybob

bchctybob

I painted a buddy's Corvette in my carport in a similar "tent" years ago. I thought a little water on the floor would be ok but years later I still had the outline of his Corvette in Mille Miglia red on my driveway. Paint job came out great though.

6. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

" Three 75’ rolls of 4 mil poly " What did you do with the other 150 feet? :confused:

Do it Over and flynbrian48 like this.
  7. If you have never sealed a room off like that before to paint you will need to get a way to extract the overspray or you won't be able to see 2 feet in front of your face 10 minutes after you started and it will all settle out on your fresh paint.

8. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

And get yourself a bright camping headlamp or 2, one on you, one on the gun. makes it much easier to see your coverage in less than optimal light.

Uribe, MMM1693, 56premiere and 2 others like this.
  9. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I’m cobbling a frame to mount a couple of furnace filters in, and setting my big old floor fan in service boot. I’ll tape and seal the plastic to that, should be fine.

Uribe, Fordor Ron and loudbang like this.
  10. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fyinbrian the reason you didn't do this before is because you were younger. Enlightenment only comes to us as we get older and wiser! Almost mistyped wider there....:D

11. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Heard a story of a painter that built a booth like that. He was doing a black enamel job and his "trick" was to heat the paint on a hot plate. Yup, as he was laying down the paint the poly got to close to the hot plate and he ended up with molten poly in the wet black paint - or so the story goes.

Lee

loudbang and flynbrian48 like this.
  12. CME1

CME1

We used this system in our shop. We also covered the floor with plastic. Made the clean up a lot more easy. We did have a large exhaust fan built into the end wall. On the other wall was the garage door. We opened the door two feet and filled the bottom with large furnace filters. Worked great!

reagen, flynbrian48 and Frankie47 like this.
  13. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

How did you, er, uh, HE get the plastic out of the paint, or did you, um, HE, make a quick trip back to the paint store? :p

14. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I meant 25', added up to 75', must be the fumes from the plastic!

46international likes this.
  15. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Nope, wasn't me. Was told HE had to strip it down and start over.

Lee

16. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

IMG_1646.JPG IMG_1655.JPG IMG_1649.JPG

Well, that worked a trick. No dirt. No bugs. Looks great right outta the gun.

17. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

IMG_1656.JPG
    Pretty damn good.

18. I have found that plastic sheeting pulls the dust to it...........statically.

The37Kid and Bruce Fischer like this.
  19. bchctybob

bchctybob

I used two box fans to exhaust at one end and three 20”x20” a/c filters in the other end. Of course the fans got painted.
    Looks like a major success to me. Good job! I’ll be doing the same thing soon, gotta paint my roadster.

flynbrian48 likes this.
  20. 500caddy

500caddy

Looks good I should have did that when I painted my gasser everything in the shop has a purple haze

21. mohead1

mohead1

Good job

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

22. bundoc bob

bundoc bob

Years ago I made a roll up and down 6 mil plastic paint
    booth using some 1 inch dowels, small pulleys and nylon
    cord. Worked great. Trust y'all are using enamel paint and
    not the current stuff...

23. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

That should be the new name for your Gasser....lol...Purple Haze has a 60s vibe to it huh....like Jimi.

500caddy likes this.
  24. hoodwinx454

hoodwinx454

Looks like it came out really good. That’s the best when you don’t have any debris land in the paint. Now let it cure and get the other car in there and paint it. You got the bugs worked out on your sons car time to do yours lol. Can’t wait to see it all unmasked and in the sunlight. Great job.

25. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Single stage urethane from Kirker, so, I use the current stuff.

26. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

I did the plastic drape booth trick last summer. Barn type exhaust fan on one wall and knocked together a wooden frame to hold 2 furnace filters in the window of the opposite wall. Excess drape on the floor had to be weighted down to keep from billowing in.
    The overspray and eventual dust does cling to the plastic so I'd only trust it for one job...unless I want to go thru the hassle of cleaning it all off.

27. looks like it came out good, how did you like the paint? I'm looking at using some on a project of mine.

28. evintho

evintho

Me too!

[​IMG]

flynbrian48 likes this.
  29. indyjps

indyjps

I like it, Im all for it. Some considerations. Use heavy plastic, use some bracing on the "walls", 1 x wood or anything. Once you start pulling air thru it, the plastic can become loose and it will, murphys law, fall right into your paint.

Need some level of ventilation to clear the overspray out, for health reasons even with respirator as well as surface quality. Being able to see in the booth helps too.

Lotta light, as much as you can find.

30. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

IMG_0010.JPG IMG_0012.JPG

I painted mine in a Visqueen booth at home last summer. Really saved the mess in the shop and provided good ventilation. 4 furnace filters and a 30 "fan sealed off at the garage door. I had to frame it with cut in half 2x4's to keep it from sucking in the plastic. Worked great. I think my car came out pretty good for an amateur (after a good cut and buff). IMG_0021.JPG