Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 41 Ford 4" chop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DM1957, May 3, 2019.

1. DM1957

DM1957

Just got this 41 Ford. Does anyone know what this started out as? a business coupe? thanks 20190415_193156.jpg 20190415_193147.jpg 20190415_193243.jpg

2. BJR

BJR

That needs a round corner on the top rear of the door to match the curve of the window:).

RICH B and porknbeaner like this.
  3. A Boner

A Boner

Nice! What wheels and tires are you going to switch to?

B Bay Barn, WB69, RICH B and 2 others like this.
  4. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Nice flow on the chop but agree with "a boner " about the wheels, they don't go with the style of the car.

5. williebill

williebill

Your car, but...….

new wheels....today.... this morning.. nice car

B Bay Barn and Bandit Billy like this.
  6. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Had to do a double take when I saw your ride. Dug out this picture I took in 1985 in Michigan but don't think it's the same car.

Attached Files:

• 520.jpg
      520.jpg
      File size:
      68 KB
      Views:
  7. Does it have a back seat? The business coupe had short doors and no back seat. Granted anyone could cut the package shelf out and put a back seat in my dad did that with an old Dodge business coupe when I was really little.

Anyway the length of the doors is your determining factor.

If I am not mistaken Ford also had an Opera coupe in '41, it would have had sideways jump seat or seats in the back.

Nice chop by the way. I agree with the other opinions about it. But nice coupe.

8. A Boner

A Boner

^^^^
    One has drip rail, the other doesn't. Probably different cars.

9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Door length dimension as shown...
    Business coupe 34 7/8
    Club coupe 43 9/16

jim snow and porknbeaner like this.
  11. Yup the long door coupe is night and day looks wise and as rare as hens teeth.

12. While it is a matter of personal taste; it is sure nice to see the builder made the effort and kept the gutters.

56don and jimgoetz like this.
  13. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think the same as the others...
    Very nice looking coupe.
    Just those wheels...ewwww.
    Like Willie said, take those off right now! Sorry, lol.
    Original wheels painted shiny black with chrome lug nuts or some nice old caps.
    Better yet, maybe...chrome steelies.
    Tall narrow bias-ply tires.
    Congratulations on your new old car.
    More pics, please.

jim snow likes this.
  14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats on your new ride - what are your plans for it, besides wheels/tires & front height attitude? if going to do any body work, consider shortening drip rails closer to where 1/4 window ends - current length does not enhance flow of roof - find out what is with the strange form where A pillar meets cowl - have fun

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  15. DM1957

DM1957

Thank you for all the replies and info. Yes the first thing I am going to do is get rid of the wheels, also it has a 383 Chrysler big block / 727 in it. Going to return it to a Ford drivetrain as it should be. Steel wheels are what I will most likely put on.

16. DM1957

DM1957

Measures 34.8 from the windshield to the B pillar, so I guess it started as a business coupe... And yes no back seat

17. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Have to go with everyone else on the wheels and front ride height. Like the Ford drivetrain also, but that's just me. Will be a very cool car!! Enjoy the heck out of it!!

18. DM, that is a sweet looking coupe. I tend to agree about the wheel/tire choice but a 383? , gotta keep that one. Not too many times can you look under the hood of an early Ford and not see a SBC ,SBF or any of the mainstream choices. I really can't remember the last time I saw a Dodge big block in the engine bay of anything but a sixties Dodge, Chrysler,Plymouth product. Just my 2 penny's, Mitch.

B Bay Barn likes this.
  19. I'll second leaving the 383 in it; dare to be different! And I'm a Ford guy...

The lack of windshield wipers could be an issue some places, and the wheels gotta go...

20. What kind of finish is that on the body? Sort of looks like raw steel.

21. DM1957

DM1957

It's a semi gloss black paint. And I may just leave the 383 in it. It is very different, you never see a big block Chrysler in an early Ford.

Frankie47 likes this.