Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Road trip tool box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 1, 2019.

1. LAROKE

LAROKE

Forgot to mention it. I got the AAA plus membership too.

2. There probably isn't anything on the Hamb that hasn't been posted numerous times, there are always new guys that missed the last post pertaining to tools or whatever the current discussion is. HRP

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Fire extinguisher. Diagonal cutters to stop the wire melting further.

Bob

Bob

4. After Randy's roadster caught fire and his small fire extinguisher failed to do the job I carry a large household type, I swap it out between the beater and Brenda's wagon. HRP

5. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I went to HF and bought a zippered canvas bag and filled that sucker up with wrenches, socket sets, screwdrivers, cheap electrical meter, crimper and terminals, flashlight, scissor jack, punches, pliers, etc. I throw it in the back of whichever car I am driving. Spent less than 150 bucks on it.

6. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I do that as well. Extra oil, anti-freeze , water,rags, flashlights etc.

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Don't think you can be prepared enough.

8. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Food. To give to wandering bandits.
    So they don't eat my horse.

9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I travel pretty light.:rolleyes:
    IMG_0594.JPG

catdad49, ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and 3 others like this.
  10. I haven't gotten to the point where I would use my AAA card for a small problem that I am capable of doing myself if I have the tools available. HRP

dana barlow, ladyhrp, Randall and 2 others like this.
  11. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are few people other than me that I trust to work on my car. That is a last resort for me. Riding home in a rollback sucks.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used to carry way more tools than I do now.
    It comes down to the "can I replace or repair it on the side of the road or in a parking lot in short order?"
    You need tools for changing or repairing things that tend to crap out at inopportune times like Starters alternator/generator, ignition or carb fuel pump or a U joint. Somewhere along the line I have changed or replaced every one of those on the side of a road in the past 55 years.
    If you can change it out and go again the tools to do the job are nice to have along but few of us are going to rebuild an engine, trans or rear end while on a road trip rather than haul the rig to home base unless there is no other choice.

13. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I have a smallish 3 drawer tool box that I've used for years. It's also my "go to the junk yard" or "rescue a friend" box. Basic set of 1/4" and 3/8" drive sockets, end wrenches, vice grips, side cutter, hammer, assortment of screw drivers, assortment of electrical connectors, a small roll of electrical wire, small roll of mechanic's wire, zip ties, duct and electrical tape, utility knife and a few hose clamps.

I'm paranoid and under the impression if you have it you won't need it. If you don't have it that's the first thing you will need.
    SPark

14. THIS! Still have a Rand- McNally in each car as well.

Ben

15. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

My travel box contains a spare distributer, and since my universal joints are unique,a pair of those. Plugs,wire, terminals, tape, head gasket and torque wrench and extra main 30 amp fuses.
    And my jumper pack. Small foot jack lugwrench, ground cloth and an empty two gallon gas can, fuel line filters and clamps.

16. Rich S.

Rich S.

I carry a box with everything that I can think of. Its topped of with tire plugs, JB WELD, wire ties, mechanics wire, points file and a pack of matches. Loan a lot of tools out. Ya do see a lot of people carrying wax, glass cleaner and micro fiber rags. It makes you wonder.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. I carry my track box. If I can't fix it with that I call someone to come get me. LOL

18. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Flashlight...so I can drive after dark, that and bailing wire. I have some NOS that has a Ford part number
    Nylon tow strap.....to pull someone else that isn't as fortunate as me...
    Folding chair so others can sit comfortably, watching me work on the car.....
    Spare key, hidden on the car...does anyone know where my keys are?

19. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My toolbar saved my butt this weekend. The 57 developed an electrical problem. Turned out to be nothing more than a loose spade connector but I couldn't determine that until I removed the heater control panel and the ignition switch. Having tools to work with and a light made it go much more smoothly. You never know when an older car is going to throw you a curve ball.

20. This past weekend in Knoxville a roll around floor jack & jack stands would have been a plus. HRP

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    catdad49, ladyhrp and 3W JOHN like this.
  21. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

What happened?

HOTRODPRIMER and ladyhrp like this.
  22. I lost my brake lights and after checking the simple things like the fuse & the bulbs I figured it must be the stop light switch, there is no way I can get under the car I walked down to where the MSRA hot rod repair shop trailer and they were able to help with the jack & stands, while I was searching for the pressure switch Brenda had already found one and went back to the car, one of the team took it from her and installed it before I got back to the car.

They have a donation box and I was more than happy to stuff some cash in it, these guys went above and beyond, in the pouring rain to boot! HRP

23. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I never been to that show but its good to have some guys there to help people.

ladyhrp and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  24. ladyhrp

ladyhrp

I'm happy the guys had the tools Danny needed but more than that how helpful they were.

25. That team from MSRA has saved the day for hundreds of Hot Rodders over the years. Great group of folks for sure.

3W JOHN, catdad49 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  26. This was the second time they helped me out, back when I had my old flathead powered 32 mordor they supplyed a jack and stands where I could replace a bolt on my clutch pivot arm. HRP

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  27. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I heard that you tried to help earl add spacers to the springs on the front of his car while danny was looking for parts.

ladyhrp and catdad49 like this.
  28. ladyhrp

ladyhrp

John, all I did was hand him the tools and hold the umbrella.