Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rare? Yes, Valuable? Yes, THAT valuable? uhm maybe?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Smokeybear, May 2, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Smokeybear

Smokeybear

I had this come across my Facebook feed earlier today. What they are asking for is a bit much, ya think?

* note, I am not interested in buying them, just thought it was interesting. IMG_2920.PNG

2. I guess it depends upon how much money you have at your disposal. They certainly aren't anywhere near that valuable to me.

Deuces and upspirate like this.
  3. RR

RR

Not an expert on these, but this seems odd. First, a 16" wheel in 1978 would have been on a one ton or possibly 34 ton truck, not a car. I am not even sure if you could get a 16" car tire back then. Plus they are undrilled- odd that they would be sold like that by any company. I am not a collector so to me, the price is as unreasonable as the wheels are suspicious.

4. Squablow

Squablow

The undrilled thing doesn't suprise me too much since a lot of these went onto super specialty cars, some getting drilled for actual knockoffs or "pin drive" wheels or maybe some exotic bolt pattern so they let the end user drill them to order.

But the tire size does surprise me with that date, I know it was a big deal in '81 when the Ferrari 308 used a 16" car tire to fit over bigger brake rotors, and again in 84 with the Corvette. And if these were intended for some racing tire application, I wouldn't expect 6" and 10" size, road race cars would probably have all 4 the same size (wide) and a drag car would have something much narrower on the front I would think.

I'm intrigued to know if his dates and/or wheel measurements are correct. A lot of people mis-measure wheels (going to the outer edges instead of the bead seat) but for someone asking $8000 you'd think they'd know how to measure at least.

Deuces, 56premiere and stillrunners like this.

5. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I had 16x10 mag 6 pin Sprints on my '23 roadster built originally in 1969. 16" slick was not unusual back then (ran M&H 16's on them). Front, not so much.

Deuces and Chili Phil like this.
  6. manyolcars

manyolcars

Of Course you could get 16" tires in 1978. I did

Deuces likes this.
  7. Eight freaking grand.:eek:

Deuces likes this.
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Damn!
    Those wheels are the equivalent of a "perfect storm" so to speak, magnesium (with Dow 7 coating), check, 16", check, undrilled, check, no longer being made, double check.
    Someone will step up, because thats how the other half lives!

9. Binkman

Binkman

Doesn't surprise me a bit when you see $3,000 dashboards, and $5,000 grilles listed.
    There is even a KR Wilson employee badge for $10,000 on EPAY.
    Tulipmania all over again.
    The parts bubble is showing signs of topping just like the car bubble did.

Deuces likes this.
  10. They could also be wheels that failed a production test that should have been destroyed but somebody may have snatched them out of a scrap pile....

Deuces and 56premiere like this.
  11. Yep...little on the high side for me......at the Pate swap meet this past week a guy had a pair of un-drilled - un-tapped - no name aluminum flatheads for about $500.....they looked neat but not sure what it was going to make them ready for bolt on.

12. alchemy

alchemy

I can see it. Just because they are pricey to you doesn’t mean there isn’t a guy out there salivating over them right now. They sure are pretty. And pretty rare.

Deuces likes this.
  13. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Last weekend at a local swap meet a vendor had a pair of magnesium Halibrands for $2,000. I moved on. I know where there is from a front engine dragster from the 60's/70's . I keep the hook in the water but no nibbles yet . :D

Deuces likes this.
  14. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

There were guys running 16's back then, but it was mostly drag cars. 10x16" were popular Halibrand and ETIII sizes.
    On the street you would occasionally see 16" Hali's and ETIII's, for the most part it was Hiboys (ie: Lobeck, Jake Jacobs) running Firestone diamond dirt track tires, many times paired up with "implement" front runners. I seem to recall BFGTA's may have been also offered in 16's?
    The 6"x16" wheels seem kind of an odd size, but Halibrand as well as others such as American Racing made some crazy ass sized wheels back then.
    $2000 per wheel seems nuts, but if they're just the ticket for someone's million dollar Ridler or AMBR build, what the hell. What's it cost to have someone carve out a set of custom wheels? Can't be cheap.
    $2000 for a SET of 4 wheels seems steep to me, but I'm a traditional scrounger.

Damn beautiful wheels. They really do need to be on a car.

brad2v, Deuces and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  15. chargin03

chargin03

For that price the wheels should come with a car.

Deuces and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  16. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

They do, a U-Haul pick up with the rental agreement in your name.

Deuces likes this.
  17. Stooge

Stooge

Very much outside of my budget and wheelhouse, but as far as someone spending $8K+ on wheels, while maybe not the norm, is common enough in other sections of the car hobby, especially in the pro-touring muscle car and lifted and lowered truck groups, its pretty common to see wheels in the $1500-$2k a piece price range, and those are just new, anyone with a credit card can get them, rather than something older and rare.

Deuces likes this.
  18. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

sprint cars were 16 inch for many years- 16X6:00 rib fronts and 16 X 10:50 or 11:00 diamond tread rears

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  19. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

if you have a $100,000 restored race car [not hard to do anymore}whats $8000 for the correct wheels?

20. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Someone, somewhere, will buy them for their Kindig or Foose, or Troy built car that will come with a matching trailer and ten thousand dollar display. And that is all right. That is a part of the hobby/lifestyle. For me however, my Cragar wheels look nice too...
    And I can still afford a hamburger on cruise nights.

chevy57dude likes this.
  21. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

So is $ 8,000 for most guys on here.....

Sky Six and X-cpe like this.