Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Help Identify Hurst Shifter.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GordonC, May 1, 2019.

1. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was digging around in my storage unit and found this shifter. I did a bunch of searching on Google and on here but didn't come up with a definitive ID on it. Do any of you recognize it or know what it might be out of? The closest I could find might be a 1966 mustang top loader 4 speed? I hate to ask but any one have an opinion on value? I know, whatever someone will pay for it... Its not rusted up and moves freely. Couple dings and scratches in the chrome but a pretty good piece.

20190501_170948.jpg 20190501_170958.jpg 20190501_171011.jpg

Deuces likes this.
  2. Could be for the Mustang - Camaro application with their factory center hump hole.....also console equipment cars in the Mopar line used the shift handle like that.

Deuces likes this.
  3. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. deucemac

deucemac

Carefully clean up the area between the long slot and the lower mount bolt hole. There is a number there that will identify the shifter. Google the number to find out. Shift handles could bolt onto various shifters if tr were not welded on at the factor. It also needs the lower dust shield installed. Hurts parts has it available for not much money. If left uncovered, crud will build up very quickly. Trust me on that one.

stillrunners and loudbang like this.

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

6. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

I guess you could call it a Hurst Mystery Shifter. Anybody remember having one of these?

1Nimrod and loudbang like this.
  7. loudbang

loudbang

Yep I had one and kept wiping syncro rings on my 55 ford 272 with trips. Finally figured out it had no shift handle stops and was moving too far on powershifts forcing the rings too far on the forcing cones wearing them out in a couple powershifts. Made my own stops for it and it worked fine.

Almost took the tip on my index finger off taking it apart. The flat wave spring inside slid out with the guts of the shifter and it was so sharp I didn't know I had been cut until the blood started gushing. Still have the scar 54 years later :confused:

kidcampbell71, 1Nimrod and 47ragtop like this.
  8. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have gone through all the stuff you guys (thanks) have posted and still don't know what it is yet? The handle is what has me stumped. It looks like something for a bench seat car... Using all the numbers I can find on it still doesn't get me much?

loudbang likes this.
  9. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nobody else have one of these hanging around or have used one like it before? It truly is a Mystery shifter!

loudbang likes this.
  10. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I'm going to say it's for a MOPAR application, and most likely for a bench seat car. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

GordonC and Deuces like this.
  11. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

It's for a 65-73 Ford Mustang. Look up Hurst shifter list #2083 and ask what's it for and it brings everything up for you. Prices from $75-$250... I tryed to post a response before and for some reason it was wiped out?? Hope this helps.
    1Nimrod

GordonC and Deuces like this.
  12. zjerry

zjerry

13. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys. Still trying to figure this out. It looks similar to the one for the mustangs but one off the shifter arms is straight down instead of forward like the one from eBay. I saw something that made me wonder if it wasn't a bench seat shifter for a 1955/57 chevy?

14. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Definitely NOT for a bench seat Tri-Five Chevrolet, that much I know for sure; those are very tall, and basically a large "C" shaped affair. It "might work" in that application, but the seat would have to be all the way back. Now, on my spare/backup 327 and Muncie 4-speed, the shifter I used on it, was originally a MOPAR application, Pistol Grip with the push in stick (70's Challenger?). I did drill the shifter stick receptacle for a bolt in stick however. All three shift levers go straight down, the reverse lever is not curved. As long as you have the correct mount for a Muncie, a Borg Warner, a Ford Top Loader, a MOPAR 833, and can find the correct rods and transmission levers, you should be able to make things work. You could even find a push in stick that would work better for your application. Getting a push in stick out can be a challenge! What the curved reverse lever is for, I don't know. You have the "older style" shifter, with the push in stick, and there looks to be a fair amount of wear at the levers; I'd use the metal bushings, not the plastic ones. The new sticks are expensive!!! I had bought a Tri-Five bench seat, bolt on stick, before I found out that the lower part of the stick, that bolts in, actually sticks up too far, and the bench seat still won't clear without some recontouring (beating in) of the seat bottom. That came via ChevyTalk.Org by guys who thought the same as I; why does Hurst even make that stick if it does't actually fit? If you buy a NEW Tri-Five, bench seat, 4 speed shifter, the stick is welded (not one solid piece), then chromed, and is of the push in variety (probably the only push in style shifter stick still being made by Hurst), and will fit just fine. I sold the stick, but the guy I sold it to was made aware and he still wanted it. I think he planned to flip it, since he got it pretty cheap. So, buy a mount, rebuild the tower with new wear plates and grease, find a usable stick and swap them out, locate some rods and levers along with the metal bushings, and you'll have a decent shifter for fairly cheap, even moreso if you can find good used parts. Guys, remember when Hurst had the Dr. Hurst shifter truck at the major drag events, to rebuild shifters right there? Those are the guys we need on this thread. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    1Nimrod and GordonC like this.
  15. rudestude

rudestude

The one I had in a 57 Chev was shaped like that but my bench seat was notched out in the middle to clear the shifter

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER