Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 47 Dodge truck 6 info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Steve Duleck, May 2, 2019.

1. Steve Duleck

Steve Duleck

Howdy,
    I'm putting together this 6 cylinder at work. We are doing up the whole truck 5 or 6 ton flat. Looking for good info or pics of this engine. I have two other motors I'm picking parts from and some bits are different, the oil filter lines are routed different on the parts motors. I need to know the correct routing of these copper oil lines for the 47 flat head 6.

Thanks
    Steve

2. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

Need more info from you to help you. Also have you tried other online sources? It may be that 47 Dodges in NZ have different characteristics than US.

3. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Get on the dodge forum. P15-d24 they will help ya out.

4. gene-koning

gene-koning

A 47 big Dodge truck would have gotten whatever was available at the time of production, since it was after WWII some parts were still pretty scarce and the supplies at the production line changed because of the different suppliers.
    Between the 46 model year (actually started in 45) until the end of the 47 model year production, when the line used up parts from one supplier and shifted to parts from a different supplier, the process on the line shifted to accommodate the "new" parts. The 48 trucks were an all new design, but most of the left over old style trucks were sold as the new model year. Gene

5. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Measure the length of the head and check back with that information. But in general the filter is fed from the oil galley that runs along where the bottom of the cylinders meets where the crank case flares out .There are two or three pipe plugs threaded into the casting. One feeds the oil pressure gauge the other feeds the filter canister. The return is where the dipstick is unless the dipstick is one of the ones that goes directly into the oil pan. Then the return is usually threaded into the casting that held the hole for the crankcase mounted dipstick. That is for the bypass stye filter. Some flatheads had a full flow filter that was mounted on the block near the distributor. The third scenario is many engines did not come with oil filters.

6. Steve Duleck

Steve Duleck

Thanks gents. I'm working on a Long motor. head is 25 and a bit inches.
    Yeah the oil lines differ from year to year, was just wondering what was correct for the 47 251.

Thanks
    Steve