Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest When was the last time you got a warning or a ticket?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 26, 2019.

1. 1987, was driving thru a parkway in dense fog (as in could hardly see past the hood) on the way to work at 5:30 a.m. and got a ticket for 33 in a 25 mph. He asked do you know how fast you were going ? I replied, no, was just trying to keep the car on the road. Guess he didn't like that answer. Still shake my head over it today, that this guy had nothing better to do than that. Knock on wood, nothing since then.

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and Deuces like this.
  2. Deuces

Deuces

Sombitch!....:mad::confused::rolleyes:

3. ... Got caught speeding in the '35 about 15 years ago doing 47 mph in a 35 ... Came over a hill and he was sitting at the bottom doing some "revenue generating" for the city ... I told him that I just changed the rear end and hadn't calibrated the speedo yet ... He wrote me the old "impeding traffic" ticket where there are no points involved ... and the city gets to keep most of the money ...

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and Deuces like this.
  4. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

ROFLMAO!!!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    dan c, Deuces, 3W JOHN and 1 other person like this.
  5. I have never got a ticket in the coupe. have never been pulled over by police when driving it. However the police do show up at my shop at my house sometimes when we are tuning and running the car because of the noise. As long as it is not late at night, (and I do not do that) they just tell me to carry on and have a nice day. One of my neighbors does not like hot rods I guess. He calls the police, they come, and tell me I can run the car all I want as long as it is not very early in the morning or late at night.

Deuces, 3W JOHN, Hank37 and 2 others like this.
  6. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

The great thing about living in the country!! Can do a tune on the hotrod anytime of the day or night..

mad mikey, Deuces, 3W JOHN and 3 others like this.
  7. When I was 16 I had a drag race on the new road in front of the High school . I had my 39 Plymouth and other car was a 49 Ford V8 , I won and looked to my left and seen the Principal waving at me. went to park behind school and local cop sited me for loud mufflers . Went into school got called out of class to Principals office . He said I finally got you for racing and I calling the Police to arrest you . I told him police already got me at back of school , so he put the phone down . About a month later he asked me why I was still driving , I told him my Dad knows the Police Chief , he looked like he was about to blow a gasket !

Driver50x, mad mikey, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  8. My mom's brother was one of three motorcycle cops here in town, all 3 of them were named Charles, my uncle was Charles Adams, the others were Shaw & Sisk and as a teenager I must have had a target on my back or just to dumb to behave, I got a ticket from all three of them at one time or another.

I use to joke about having paid enough in fines I financed painting the courthouse! :D HRP

mad mikey, Deuces, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  9. KenC

KenC

Last week, in my wife's minivan! 57 in a 35. verbal warning, no ticket. Late at night, deserted road, downhill, just not payin' attention. I'm 77 and nice to the cop, guess he felt sorry for me.

Deuces, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I dragged the internet looking for info on historical speed limits, most of the search hits deal with the federal 55 limit. I seem to remember my dad saying that Iowa had a "reasonable & prudent" law and drivers in bordering states would visit to see what their car could do without maybe breaking the law. Montana law reverted to this when the 55 mph law was repealed and a lot of the search hits discuss this. I can say it was not widely enforced out west. It would be interesting to know if other states did this. Generally "reasonable & prudent" is considered too vague. They need an arbitrary number, to easier nail people. $$$

Deuces, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I was a kid the last time I got a ticket.

Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1959-driving my folks 57 Olds Fiesta wagon. Going across Nevada somewhere. Towing a 19 foot hydroswift boat going to Lake Mead to go fishing. Had been driving a long time (9 hrs) and folks were sleeping. Got lit up by a cop going 80. I was 17. He gave me a real lecture but no ticket. My Dad was a reserve Sheriff at the time. Told my Dad to drive from there and SLOW DOWN.

Deuces likes this.
  13. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Have not gotten a ticket in 45 years. And the ones I did get where always in my daily drivers trying to get home to quick after work. The last time I was pulled over in one of my toys was about 25 years ago in my big block , pro streeted 67 Camaro . The officer politely informed me that I needed to run a front plate and then told me the car was really cool! lol I think he just wanted a closer look. Most cops are pretty cool about my hot rods , but I do not do anything stupid with them anymore either. Larry

Deuces and olscrounger like this.
  14. Got pulled over and warned that my taillight was "not as bright as it should be, this time of the evening" (dusk)....I was in my 1931 DB.... post-37352-143141728282.jpg

the oil soup, Deuces and David Gersic like this.
  15. KenC

KenC

Me too. See post 69.

Deuces likes this.
  16. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Illinois makes it simple. Any unposted rural road is 55 MPH. But, large swaths of Illinois are essentially flat empty farm land. Early spring, before things get growing, or fall, after harvest has cut everything down, there are plenty of flat, straight roads that go on for miles with no crossroads, and you can see that there are no police cars, or any other traffic, within five or more miles of you.

I’ve been pulled over a few times, always in a DD, and they were mostly all fair. The first one was an honest mistake I made as a kid, but I still got to go to court on the ticket. The others, yeah, I was over the limit by more than what Illinois police considered acceptable. Cost me a few bucks, and a Saturday at traffic safety school. That was actually pretty interesting, so can’t really complain.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces likes this.
  17. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

About 15 yrs ago I was heading out to El Mirage on a Saturday to inspect cars and was a little late running up the 91 Freeway thru Corona about 75-80 doing a moving chacane around slower cars in my Silver 2003 Honda Civic Coupe when was lit up. (license plate is BEEN 200) I pull off the hyway into a gas station and get out my stuff and see this young CHP walking up and much to his surprise instead of seeing a snotty nose kid he saw his "a grandpa".

Asked a few questions and went back to his car with what I was expecting a new trip to traffic school but came back telling me to take it a littler easier and please use my signals when changing lanes... I thanked him big time and went on my way..Life's good when your a old man sometimes....

Deuces, raven and mad mikey like this.
  18. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

I blew past a Virginia state trooper. Soon as I passed him he threw on the lights. I pulled over and asked me how fast I was going. I told him because the car is new you can't feel the speed on these things then I proceeded to tell him that my Studebaker you feel the speed. And just because I'm a senior citizen I don't mope along tying up traffic for weeks. Then I told him my nephew is a cop and he's being promoted and were so proud he said okay have a nice trip. Not even a warning.

Deuces likes this.
  19. LAROKE

LAROKE

I responded to your other post about getting stopped in my o/t Caddy fast mover. Only time I was stopped in my hot rod '37 Chevy pickup with the Jimmy 302 engine was a decade ago. Was coming home from a late session at work and it was just after dusk. On the street, coming up on my development, two lanes each way, eighth of a mile from the last traffic light, when a beater mid-size eighties Ford pulls into my path from a park entrance and begins to putter along. I thought s/he might have been exercising a dog. Way was clear so I powered out around the Ford and rowed thru the gears to get back in the right lane again to make my turn at the intersection, which I did. I was a hundred feet from my gated community when the Ford caught up with me. Two cops were in the unmarked Ford. When asked about my reckless speeding, I had no excuse so I said I was having too much fun. I got a lecture and they went away. An LEO friend thought they might have been on a stakeout in the park and would have gotten in trouble for blowing their cover by stopping me and that's why I didn't get a ticket.

20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I took the trifecta a few years back, 3 tickets in 3 different cars in 3 weeks. The worst of them was a $550 negligent driving burnout ticket from Rod Run To The End Of The World in my 442...oops. One speeding ticket in the parts getter and one illegal passing on the right in the Camaro (don't ask). Mrs. Bandit Billy read me the riot act. Happy to say I have a clean record... at the moment.

One word to the wise if you find yourself in a similar predicament, after serving my 3 years of jacked up premiums my wife called American Family to get the premium lowered, they kindly told her that they keep track of my driving record for 5 years. We switched our homeowners and drivers back to State Farm that day with no tickets, no accidents and a healthy reduction on insurance expense.

Deuces likes this.
  21. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

putting a replacement flattie in my shoebox. nosy cop went in my back yard and gave me a warning. in kirkwood, mo., a car with no engine was considered to be an abandoned vehicle!

22. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Just starting building my home in Lively, VA coming back from Tappahannock VA where the speed limit goes from 55 to 45 and then down to 35 for all within a 1/4 mile, just past the court house. Being new to the area and not paying attention I ran the trap at a consistence 55 mph. Just before I hit the 55 mph zone I was pulled over and a large Jackie Gleason police officer, complete with mirror sun glasses and a large hand gun strap to his belt, pulled me over. In the best southern voice, I ever heard, he said, I clock you at 55 in a 35, what is your excuse. I told him I was new to the area, just retired from the Army, and just not paying attention. He said, I hear that all day long, give me your license and registration and you better come up with something else, boy. So he came back in a few minutes and said, "Well, what is it going to be". I told him that I had a 1/2 gallon of ice cream melting in the back and was going to my God Son's birthday party and I was responsible for getting the ice cream and to be at the party on time. He roar back laughing, and said that he never heard that excuse before and why I was still running NH plates on my truck. For the next 20 minutes he told me about the local area and the speed trap that he caught me in. Turn out to be a pretty nice guy and only gave me a verbal warning. I wanted to asked him if he had a wife named, Alice or if there were very many black Firebirds in the area.

Deuces likes this.
  23. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

I remember it well. It was 2010 and I was in Daytona beach and a motorcycle cop got me for not wearing my seat belt. That cost me $225.

24. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

25. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

55 between st. louis and springfield is a great place to "see what she'll do." long, straight, flat and slightly downhill. and the man is few and far between!

David Gersic and Deuces like this.
  26. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

@Kerry Paging Kerry. About 10 years ago or more, Kerry was telling a "I got pulled over" story at KKOA Salina show. It's a great story that I want him to tell here. Coming second hand from me just won't do it justice. Kerry, it had to do with a Pontiac mistaken for a Ford, and a skunk, if that helps you recall what I am referring to.

27. Was 196 #'s

Was 196 #'s

I had a bumper sticker on my off topic van that said "No Donut". I cut off the first part of the sticker that said "Bad Cop". I figured that those who knew what it meant would know what it meant.

28. Dusty roads

Dusty roads
    BANNED

1963 - On the Illinois Turnpike east of Chicago. I was pulled over by a State Patrolman for playing bumper tag in my families 1957 Chevrolet Station Wagon.

29. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

About 10 years ago. Mrs. Stu d baker and I were driving the 37 down to Quincy, Il from the Chicago area. Got pulled over by state trooper, outside of Peoria, Il, for no front plate and he gave a verbal warning that if I ever came back again without proper front plate, it wasn't going to turn out well.

[​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  30. sololobo

sololobo

Here is a warning and no ticket story, I am just the passenger with my bro Rob Lee, we are headed back to Omaha for Kansas Citys Greaserama Show. We are haulin ass about 80-85 and pass a big camper and a car directly in front of it. OH OH, the car was a Missouri Sheriffs car, he came up on us and lit us up. And as his bright lights were coming upon us Rob says "what a jerk" and sped up, ooops. He came up with a flashlight shining on the motor and says, what is in this thing a Chevy? Nope Rob says it is a Lincoln Y block. Wow he says, that's cool. He said how fast to you think you were going, Rob says, well sir I only have a tach and no speedometer, I suppose about 75, well he said, it was more than that, better slow it down and walked away. Cool cop, we pulled over at the next exit and took a breather not believing what had just happened.

54delray and Deuces like this.