Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical CRC Brakleen

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Apr 30, 2019.

1. topher5150

topher5150

Have you looked at a parts website lately? According to Cal all the parts and pieces that you bolt to your car will give you cancer now. Talk about crying wolf

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

egads likes this.
  2. Screw all this new stuff. The first time I cleaned brake cylinders I used carbon tetrachloride. I'll bet the chemical police never heard of that.

3. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

It used to be that the red can was chlorinated and the green wasn't, so it's interesting to see the red can now says non chlorinated also.

4. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

We still have the chlorinated red can good stuff here in Utah. I have a shelf full!

5. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Same here in ks 20190501_153910.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G900P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

^^^^ Notice in the first pic on this thread it sez "Non Chlorinated" on bofe of 'em. In the second pic it says"Non Flammable" instead.

7. triumph 1

triumph 1

Red it typically chlorinated & green is non. I personally think the red works better.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

That sure seems to be the crux of the problem, everything that is effective is banned, sooner or later. Carbon Tet was/is highly carcinogenic, I guess. In the .mil we used a lot of 1,1,1, Trichloroethane. They banned that, apparently and subbed Trichloroethylene. Etc etc.

I'm just a simple guy, tryin' to do a simple job.

9. zzford

zzford

Remember when Gumout carb cleaner in the soaking bucket worked REALLY well? Those were the good old days!

rockable and Truck64 like this.
  10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I remember when the carburetors I work on would fit in one of those gumout buckets.

11. gene-koning

gene-koning

Looks like the CA version of the red can is intended to sucker those that just buy it by the color of the can. The rest of us can probably expect the same thing in the near future.
    I buy the local farm store brand for about 1/2 the price. I wonder when we will see those disappearing? Gene

12. They use that disclaimer so that when you show up in court naming them as a co-respondent in your seven figure claim for compensation because of a cancer diagnosis, they can say that you were put on notice at the time of purchase.

13. At work, we use the Oreilly house brand and it will burn the hair off of a monkey’s ass. It will melt the handle on a Craftsman screwdriver. We use the Rural King brand at the farm, $1.99 a can.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like this?
    Red assed monkey.jpg

54vicky and MMM1693 like this.
  15. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Reminds me of a dare during the bar scene...

16. Shit yeah... had a wasp nest under my deck rail. Gave that a shot of the stuff, even killed the ones in mid air that were trying to escape. Great on weeds too.

17. gonzo

gonzo

I find the smell of the Brakleen brand to be overpowering, 3M makes a brake cleaner that is practically odorless. This is the only stuff I'll use now.
    [​IMG]

18. gonzo

gonzo

19. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Or spraying around carburetor & intake looking for vacuum leaks....

20. Chlorinated brake cleaner will kill you.

It will kill you quicker if you vaporize it by heating it and inhale the fumes.

Jim

21. I stopped buying it a couple of years back. Nasty ass shit to say the least. I use the 2+2 Gum Cutter mostly these days.

22. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

The green can is if you want to GO and the red is if you want to STOP!