Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Today's stupid question, 9 inch ford.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dalesnyder, Apr 30, 2019.

1. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

Maybe not as stupid as where you hook the black jumper cable when I charge the a/c, but probably close to it.
    I am changing the rear axle seal on a 9 inch rear end. The seal sits in the housing tube. (13700 cr). Should you try to pack the axle bearing while it's out? . The bearing is outside the seal and does not get lubed when assembled.

2. Those are sealed bearings.....

fordflambe, seb fontana and SOHC427 like this.
  3. Yup, trying to grease those bearings will likely do more harm than good. If the bearing feels smooth if you roll it, it's likely OK. Any doubt and I'd replace it rather than screw with it.

4. fordflambe

fordflambe

There may be a couple of different versions of axle tube seals but this is what went in mine. Be careful when installing that seal that you don't cut yours like I did mine.
    IMG_1722.JPG

5. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

The style in the photo is for a tapered rolling bearing axle , this type of seal installs first then the bearing is last on the axle . Most are sealed ball bearings and the seal installs in the housing . The tapered roller bearing will be fine with a shot of gear lube or a wipe of grease before assembly . As stated the ball bearing needs nothing .

6. If I'm not mistaken the type of bearing used in this photo should be packed with grease. I believe an inner and outer seal would be used. The one shown with the bite out of it being the outer, used to keep the grease in the bearing from getting out to the brakes and the inner (probably a c/r 15142) to keep the gear oil inside the rear end housing. Some may not use an inner seal.

7. testdepth

testdepth

Is it like this one? If so it's sealed.

Attached Files: