Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ronco Magneto?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brigrat, Aug 9, 2011.

1. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I have a mag on classifieds for sale, I get a PM asking this question

"Hello, does the mag you have for sale have a locked advance? If so, can it be unlocked or is it welded?"

How can I tell so I can answer his question?
    Are the advance plates under the tower at the base like a Flamethrower?
    Under the cap every nut and bolt has a Yellow dot of paint on them telling me that it has never been messes with, is that correct thinking or just whishfull?
    Thanks

2. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Homespun, thanks for the link but didn't find my answer about the advance set up.
    Where's Bubba when you need him?

3. koth

koth

I have a few magnetos and I can tell you the difference. A find out if the timing is locked, you have to remove the base of the mag from the top.
    To do this you need a special tool to loosen the nuts that have a slot in them.
    Flip the mag upside down and you will see them on either side. There are two in a row on both sides.
    Once you have removed the lower assembly, if the unit has fixed timing there is a large plastic block in there.
    If you see a number of thin plates all held in with a pair of clips, then you have an adjustable style.
    Hope this helps!

4. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Thanks Kloth that's the info I was afraid of!

5. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

6. john walker

john walker

I sent my vertex to Cirello to get refurbished and have the advance functional. On regular distributors, you can check mechanical advance by turning the rotor against the advance springs and it springs back. I don't get that on my vertex. Is this normal?

7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That sounds locked to me, what does the spec sheet show?

427 sleeper likes this.
  8. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Not 100%, but "most" Vertex mags, there is no advance. Some later ones that were used in battery started engines had an advance. This is so the battery would be able to start the engine, then the advance would go to full advance very quickly. The older/earlier "push start" engines, the mags had no advance.

Mike

427 sleeper likes this.