Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 31 A suspension

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Victor Cantoran, May 1, 2019.

1. Victor Cantoran

Victor Cantoran

I recently purchased a 31 A coupe, that has many modifications. My question is the rear suspension. Whenever i hit uneven surfaces the rear suspension tends to make quite a bit of noise. I went underneath and it looks like the top of spring hits or rubs the metal thats on top. How can i go about this? It also tends to sway quite a bit while driving. Thanks

[​IMG]https://photos.app.goo.gl/QHYkyHa9j6prq6As9

2. Yep, it’s a mess and the one pic was playing
    like GIF and got me dizzy :confused:

I would not drive it until it was checked by someone who know what they are doing since it looks like it was built by someone who didn’t know what they were doing.,

Victor Cantoran likes this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy

Your sway is probably because you have rather vertical coilovers and I bet there is no panhard bar to hold it in the center of the car. The rearend is fairly free to slide sideways as the weight of the car pushes into a turn.

You should probably order yourself a Pete & Jakes catalog because there is a lot of good diagrams in there that will teach you about proper hot rod chassis setups. And, if you decide you need some parts you will know what the proper items will cost.

Also, read everything you can on the HAMB about model A chassis.

4. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Do your HAMB intro.
    " alchemy " pointed you in the right way ! . From the odd pics you linked too,rear set up needs full redo.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.

5. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

That's kinda scary. Looks like either the coil over mounts on the housing are cracked or they aren't fully welded their entire length (which they should be)

My advice, find someone local who knows suspension, have them go over it and give you a "fix it list" then go for it.

But I wouldn't be putting to many miles on it until it's checked out.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  6. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

It must have some kind of cross brace surely. A few things to get right there. Heim's rod ends for track only. Throw a D/shaft safety loop at it also. Ever see one of those front universals let go.
    Nothing time and moola won't fix. Have fun

7. 1940Coupe

1940Coupe

You’ll definitely need a panhard rod to stop lateral movement
    I’m running a similar setup but with a panhard rod

When setting up the panhard rod, it must be level at ride height. Preferably as long as possible also. Mine is 23”
    87A99AC7-7FCA-462D-8684-DC783BFC27D3.png

Last edited: May 1, 2019