Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anyone using a flathead V8 - 60

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 17, 2019.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

14-16:1 in a flathead? How do you even do that? The pistons must be very close to the heads, the transfer area small as well as the valve area? On a 60 I'm guessing total CC volume at around 25cc. Not much.

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  2. Yes sir. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  3. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

What ever happened to the T?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. Blake 27

Blake 27

Ready to plug in! DSC01853-001.JPG

blue57ford, 3W JOHN, Tim and 3 others like this.
  5. fullhouse296

fullhouse296
    from Australia

Simca flatheads are a better choice for several reasons .1. newer castings ,better material and less accumulated rust in water galleries .2.most parts are interchangable cept that strange loonymum sump spacer thing 3.simca blocks have a neat little scoop taken out of the transfer area on the intake valve only .4.as with the big Rouge 337 ci ,the simca has a cast in exhaust baffle on the centre exhaust passage ,5.the distributer is upright ,similar but different to 8ba style ,easier to work on . . and modify .dont use the simca clutch pressure plate ,theyre sh t .

6. RollinRock

RollinRock
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have owned a 60 hp 37 Flatback since the late 60’s. Drive locally is Vineland, So Jersey.
    Went to a local car show last weekend and was looking at a 30 Tudor. Under the hood was a 60 hp flattie. Owner was surprised I knew what it was. Said it ran great ( not fast). Thought I would be looking at a 4 cyl.
    RollinRock

Attached Files:

3W JOHN, King ford and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

EXACTLY

8. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

What kind of power could a built street naturally aspirated one make ?

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Dad had a '37 Ford flatback tudor, he and Mom bought it from the Ford dealer in Reno in '38, on their elopement. The owner of the Ford agency offered them his wife's 'Demo' she'd been driving all year.
    Mom traded her FAST '31 Cabriolet w/OHV conversion in on it, (much to her chagrin, as Dad hated hot rods.
    Dad drove 'big rigs', or 'smokers', hated squirrels that messed with bug trucks in traffic, assumed all 'hot rodders' were Bumper Tag participants!

The '37 was a V860, but had a Columbia 'axle'...(vac. controlled Overdrive)
    After getting used to it, Dad would take unsuspecting 'smart alecs' out for a ride, saying "$10 says this little Ford'll do 85 in second."
    Got it every time, stupid shatters never heard of 'overdrive'... LOL

10. John, I honestly don't know what happened to it, I do know his son has the 47 Ford coupe and he lives in Georgia now. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  11. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

It's a small-displacement ancient flathead engine. But you stick one in a lightweight car, as others have mentioned, and it'll pull its weight. There were a few early MGs with 60s in them that were quite competitive in sports car racing.

12. RDR

RDR

Mike,
    Haha...Had completely forgotten about a bet that a highschool 'friend ?' had challenged me with..Said his dads '51 Plymouth could do 50 in 1st gear. Now mind you I had a '49 Chevy and 50 in 3rd gear was pretty much pushing it...
    Yep, I lost the bet and was sure the rods were going to come out of that thing when she read 50.
    Man, I sure hope it wasn't 10 bucks !..May have been.....

13. Yes.....but this is the drama queen...........

14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stan Betz of paint fame had one in a Bantam roadster. It was yellow and on the cover of Street Rodder Magazine. I saw it in 1980-81 in his garage in Belmont Shore.. I wonder what happened to it?
    John Bivens of Indian Restoration has had one in his shop for years in a stretched motorcycle frame.

HOTRODPRIMER and 3W JOHN like this.
  15. fordcpe

fordcpe

v8 60.jpg 60hp.jpg Built this one for my uncle he put it in a t bucket

RDR, rod1, 3W JOHN and 1 other person like this.
  16. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I believe its for sale on CL in AZ right now...

17. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

Love your Bantam! I have a V8-60 that I dream of putting a front-mounted blower on (ala Potvin). May never use, but what a gorgeous "wall-hanger".

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and blowby like this.
  18. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

There's also a Crosley/Almquist/V8-60 that runs in vintage sports car races.

CROSLEY_ALMQUIST_H_MOD_1951_03.jpg 1952-Crosley-Almquist-V8-eng-300x241.jpg

I have a 7/8th scale McLaren M8E Can-Am replica body, a V8-60 motor, and Porsche transaxle. If I ever get the time away from more important projects, I'd love to put these together. Kind of crazy, but just imagine its shock value at a vintage meet!

tractorguy, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  19. 3W JOHN likes this.
  20. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

No; pictures downloaded from internet. I just rechecked for the source, which turns out to be "Bring a Trailer", from Indianapolis, early 2018. Was a "no sale" at a bid of $9500. If you Google "crosley almquist v8-60", the original ad with detailed write-up and dozens of pictures are still there. The three carb manifold strikes me as unusual. I'm guessing not many were made; most Midgets ran duals, and even then, used the smaller Strombergs (81s?).

I have all the components to build one, but the Almquist body has some repairable accident damage, so it's not on my high priority project list. Not sure I'd use a V8-60, as I have Midgets looking for engines.

21. Crocodile

Crocodile

I have one from my 39 Standard, disassembled on the rack in my shop. Have a set of NOS .040 over pistons and rings to go in, and I was planning to put it in my 26 T coupe. I have the 39 tranny to use with it too, as I found out the hard way that they are smaller than the 85 hp trans, and had to replace that, too.

22. Tin Lizzie

Tin Lizzie
    from Ohio

A V-8 60 truck transmission is bigger than the car transmission as I believe it takes the 85 gears.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

I know the '60 gear-case is smaller, but I think I remember bolting a '100 to a '60 engine years ago, and concluding that the bell housing portion was the same, therefore could use the larger box. No?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. chrisp

chrisp

What about the bushings? I'm just being curious since I don't have one nor plan to have one. But I have to say that the Simca do Brazil OHV is a gorgeous little sucker.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. Crocodile

Crocodile

I would have to go look, but it had something to do with the starter position between the two that made me pretty certain I couldn't use it. Maybe I am wrong on bigger engine to 60 trans. Rather sure that you can't go the other direction, at least without cutting a section out to clear the starter.

26. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

Thanks for your response. My interest at the time was for application in a midget, which were typically push-start. I don't recall even considering starter location at the time, so I'd guess you are probably correct.

27. Ken Smith

Ken Smith
    Alliance Vendor

Here it is at Sonoma Raceway 2013. It was owned by @cabong here on the HAMB.
    I have a video of it racing. I’ll try and find it.
    [​IMG]

Here it is at Leguna Seca 2013

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    tractorguy likes this.
  28. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

Just saw this car shown in Barnfinds.com, to be auctioned by Mecum at Indy, mid-May.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0519-369124/1952-crosley-almquist-sabre/

29. banjorear

banjorear

Love how some of you guys are putting blowers on your V8 60's. Very cool!

30. 'Mo

'Mo

Ardun, Anyone?

Bob Mumford's 2013 AMBR.
    (From BangShift)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    blue57ford likes this.