Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Let's go shopping at JC Whitney! in 1958

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Mar 11, 2012.

1. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Roy Warshawsky would hit the aisles of the SEMA show with at least four or five guys in tow and point to a booth with his cigar and one of the guys would run over and pick up the info. All of the JC Whitney catalog product photos were converted to line drawings (cheaper for printing) and logos were eliminated. I think he was one of the first catalog companies to sell issues on the newstands.

Deuces, kidcampbell71 and dana barlow like this.
  2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

J.C and "Honest" Chuck were great ways to learn how to read.:rolleyes:

Deuces and tommyd like this.
  3. AHotRod

AHotRod

This brings back great memories Jim ... I placed my first order in 1970 or 71 for a 283 that I wanted to "rebuild"... I ordered the "Re-ring Kit" and when it arrived it had Muskegon rings, Fitzgerald gaskets and federal mogul bearings. I love that catalog, I would read it cover-to-cover.

s-l400.jpg

Deuces, tommyd and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

I ordered the parts for a 283 overhaul from them in 1975, as I recall....dad paid for it, as I was only 14 at the time. I think about a hundred bucks covered rings, bearings, and gaskets. Got a valve job done by a shop in town. I don't remember what brand those parts were. But a few years later when it was time to build the 396, we got Badger pistons, Clevite bearings, and Fel Pro gaskets. I was pleased.

Deuces and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  5. Aeroman

Aeroman

Hi Squirrel, would you happen to have any JC Whitney catalogs with 1940s skirts? Thanks.

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Educated Nut.jpg

:rolleyes:...Maybe this Smart Cookie might cure Death Wobble for good...Like the Alexa of the 50s...:p

"Hey Nut fix my wobble eh!!"

Love snooping through this stuff for a chuckle and even a serious search for Taillights on a mid to late fifties 32 Hotrod pickup...nope...

7. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dang, buddy, you've got nice handwriting. :)

Stogy likes this.
  8. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

When I was in high school (mid 1970s), one of my friends ordered around ten bucks' worth of junk from J.C. Whitney. It didn't show up, and it didn't show up, and then one day when he got home from school, there was a package from them there that was much too large for what he ordered. He opened it up, and they sent him an M/T cross ram intake for a small block Chevy! Not bad for ten bucks! He sold it to an older guy who could use it for lots of gas money.

Driver50x, Deuces, squirrel and 3 others like this.
  9. Rand Man

Rand Man

Yeah, I could read one of for hours too. They had everything. I remember thousands of transmission adapters, rebuilt engines for everything from a late model car to an antique tractor.

10. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

They even sold used engines at one time, guaranteed against "excessive" oil burning; what was actually determined to be excessive, I can't say.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I remember ordering some trinket out of one of the JC Whitney adds in a magazine around 1960 and having to go to the post office to get a money order to send to get it. I think a catalog showed up in the mail before what I ordered did and I got them on a regular basis for the a few years.
    I spent untold hours going though those catalogs when I was a kid and passed them on to buddies at school when a new one came in the mail.

In the early 90's when I was planning on putting a 396 in the 48 I ordered a set of chrome tight tuck headers they had listed on sale for 150.00. A couple of weeks later they showed up drop shipped from Ernie Immerso enterprises and were beyond show quality perfect. I sold them a couple of years ago to a guy building a Chevy TF truck with a big block.

loudbang and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  12. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I've bought some stuff from this company. Reminded me of JC Whitney. Screenshot_20231201_074913_Chrome.jpg

13. JohnLewis

JohnLewis

14. Harleyv89

Harleyv89

Anyone know if these are jc whitney hub caps? I picked these up from the local swap meet and i cant find them anywhere i thought they were 30s chevy hub caps. 9FD89736-B32E-42FE-988B-54BD1E529428.jpeg

15. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

The Whitney caps couldn't use the Chevrolet bow tie logo; they just had a rectangular block with angled ends.

16. I have one of the “Nomad” club plaques. It’s been on a number of my cars… 20120DD4-57C5-4FDD-BAE7-2164D108CF92.jpeg 20120DD4-57C5-4FDD-BAE7-2164D108CF92.jpeg

17. squirrel

squirrel

I'm not home right now to look

18. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Not aftermarket - genuine Chevrolet from a foreign country ...

Sancho likes this.
  19. Harleyv89

Harleyv89

Oh so they are genuine chev? Maybe from here in australia?

20. Harleyv89

Harleyv89

Thought so Thanks mate

21. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Wow, Dupli-Color lacquer enamel… I had forgotten about that name. At the time of the catalog, we skipped ordering the various color sprays. Our local paint store had the best prices and the largest selection of the spray cans for our wheels and other jobs. The bright yellow painted Standard Brands paint store was our go to place. It was along the boulevard of all of the auto dealers in Long Beach.

Several years ago, I was detailing my wife’s station wagon. Then I noticed the disc brake was a little corroded. So, I ordered a special disc brake paint kit in the matching color. Nothing like red or blue to stand out, but just to get rid of the corrosion.
    upload_2024-3-31_2-47-36.png

The new kit was labeled Dupli-Color and sold in auto parts stores as well as Amazon. But, the more I looked at the corrosion, I let it go. It was blasted off in one of those wheel spray washers at the entrance of a car wash. The corrosion was some stuff that was caked on and from tired old eyes and a distance away, like rust of some kind.

Jnaki

So, during those times a long time ago, I still have the old paint kit called Dupli-Color. It is now one of those gathering dust in a car detail drawer of our garage. One day, it will be gone when we need room for more detail stuff. Ha… so goes the attachment to car detail stuff. YRMV

Note:

“For over 80 years, Dupli-Color has been known for its “Perfect Match” in touch-up automotive paints. And has continued its founder’s philosophy of “perfection” through new product innovations for both the car and truck refinishing, OEM and specialty coating markets.”

Now, a Sherwin-Williams Company…