Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The all new 1940 Ford - Video

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 28, 2019.

1. I have been a 1940 Ford nut for many years, lone before I had a obsession for 1932 fords, this is a cool video for you 40 Guys. HRP

Unfortunately, I am unable to embed this video

https://www.youtube.com/embed/PORkrY_e_HQ

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  2. My first driver was a '40 deluxe coupe and yes, it had the V type 8 engine.

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

I’ve had two 40 standards, a coupe and a tudor ... and I’m presently negotiating on another standard coupe. Can’t stay away from them. Interesting in that we now refer to deluxe and standard models, but in the clip it’s deluxe and Ford. Interesting.

4. Crocodile

Crocodile

Kind of interesting that the headlamp door on the Deluxe seem to be chromed units that are the same as the standard. Wondering if early cars had them, or if that was just on a prototype, as all of the Deluxes I have seen have the ribbed area around the parking lamp cast in, with full ribs.

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and olscrounger like this.

5. I was a dye in the wool 40 Ford guy for many years and still like them, I had a 39 Convertible, a 39 Standard, 3- 40 coupes, 2 - 40 sedans and a 40 pickup, these are great cars for guys with familys. HRP

3W JOHN and barryvanhook like this.
  6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some interesting things-headlight doors look like chrome std models-ashtrays with no knobs-prototype I.m guessing as well.
    Pop up ashtray doors until early 40 (think maybe Feb 40) then tilt out. Have a few dashes on wall with both types.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  7. That's what I thought. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  8. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

as a 40 Ford fan (I've had two, both standard 2dr sedans, wish I had more) I have alot of 40 memorabilia including a complete set of 1940 license plates, all 48 states + Hawaii & Wash, DC. magazine ads on posters, posting some pics: the yellow one is my 1st in 1972, before & after pics of my current one. Steve1st40.jpg 5-09-08b.JPG 6-15-12a.JPG 2017-09-19 21.52.58.jpg P4260030.JPG P4260037.JPG P4260038.JPG P4280013.JPG

9. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

the pic of the dark gray car is how I bought it in 2008, then media blasted in 2011, finished in 2012

10. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

Was thumbing through the October 1980 issue of Street Rodder (it's a 40 Ford emphasis issue). and in the "Shop Manual" letters section someone asked about paint, etc., colors for Forties. Here is what the editor (Frank Oddo) had to say.
    Deluxe cars were painted Black, Cloud Mist Gray, Folkstone Gray, Lyon Blue, Acadia Green, or Mandarin Maroon. Wheels were body color. The top of a Deluxe dash was painted Maroon and the bottom was Rose Sand.
    Standard colors were limited to Black, Cloud Mist Gray, and Lyon Blue. Wheels were black, but optional body color wheels were available for $5.11. Standard dashes were woodgrain.
    How accurate is this info ... can't really say since it appears in a mag without any citation offered. The standard coupe I'm dealing on is Folkstone Gray, but hey ... who really cares!!

11. It appears that you have a mild obsession with the '40 Fords. :D HRP

3W JOHN and 911 steve like this.
  12. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The standard cars had a briarwood brown dash on all I have seen (some original)-one color. Both had wood grain window garnish moldings but different color on dlx than std. There were also spring colors and some with fenders different color than body from what I have observed. Also on some early 40's the underside of the decklid is like a 39 and the trunk braces as well.
    My painter friend has at least 10 orig dashes on his wall both std /deluxe and early/late as well as a bunch of orig garnish moldings for both with woodgrain. Also there are subtle differences on early vs late convertibles.
    On the 7-8 stds I have done they were either originally black or CMG.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  13. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Thank you

HOTRODPRIMER and 3W JOHN like this.
  14. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Thanks Danny

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.