Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anti Hot Rod & Muscle Car Enforcement by Wisconsin State Patrol

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blues4U, Apr 26, 2019.

1. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cheers to you, both! And may your good friend rest in peace.

0NE BAD 51 MERC likes this.
  2. 34Larry

34Larry

Here in Washington we have a "fair weather". Can not drive the car in the rain. I keep a printed copy of the RCW in the jockey box for the officer who may not know that.
    Gonna apologize for what I say here, I mean no malice just fact that I in my life time have found Wisconsin, and Wisconsinites to be a bit strange anyway compared to the rest of us. Maybe that's why the Packers are such standouts in their field.

Black_Sheep and 427 sleeper like this.
  3. Squablow

Squablow

Do we know any details on this case, like how/when was the car in question titled, and is it an original '32 Ford or a fiberglass copy? That would make a huge difference.

4. A Boner

A Boner

Before stating you opinion, it might be a good idea to study WISDOT TRANS 305. I'm thinking your opinion, and how the law reads are not in agreement. That is, what it seems, the State Patrol is doing too!

milwscruffy likes this.
  5. the court hearing In Dodgeville, Wi. on May 2, 2019 for the guy ticketed for no fenders and hood on his 32 Ford has been changed to a "status hearing."
    "A status hearing is just that to check on the status of the case. It is a time to determine if the case can be plea bargained , discovery issues , or to set the case for trial . The status date is usually not the trial date".

This "status hearing" will be open to the public, no testimony is given, no witnesses testimony .

The Iowa County District Attorney passed away on April 17, 2019. Dodgeville, Wi is the county seat for Iowa county. Because of his passing court schedules and trial times are subject to change.

Curt R

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    Speed~On likes this.
  6. I've missed this till now...
    has this been an on going ticket, or something that just recently happened?

edit.....just read the link on the first page...but watching this thread now

7. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

chickenridgerods likes this.
  8. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you for all you do @Curt R - truly appreciate you keeping us appraised of fact and actual status.

Max Gearhead likes this.
  9. A Boner

A Boner

Try reading the whole thread.....or for sure the Curt R responses.

10. Speed~On

Speed~On

Curt, Thank you for the update on the hearing. I had a feeling it would be pushed back.

11. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

That's disappointing news. I really was interested in the out come of the courts decision. I am sure Curt R will update us when possible. Larry

12. A Boner

A Boner

Anyone planning on attending the 9:00 AM status hearing May 2nd (tomorrow) at the Courthouse in Dodgeville? Coming from the East on Hwy 151 you will be going right past Dodgeville when going to "Torquefest". If you are heading up there a day early (Thursday), you might want to show some support for all the hoodlums in Wisconsin.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  13. A Boner

A Boner

Bump for all the guys paying into the Social Security Fund.....so they can look at this thread when they get home from work.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  14. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

I am very curious of the outcome, but regardless, I am not putting fenders and a hood on my T Roadster or ‘32 coupe.

tractorguy, PBRmeASAP and MMM1693 like this.
  15. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This will be interesting to say the least.

16. Was always told growing up, real Hot Rods don't have fenders or hoods ( fender and hood guys please take no offense ;)) and that's how I like to build them. I'll be waiting on an update from Curt, I don't plan to curtail my plans on future builds.

17. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Did anyone go today ? Did they set a court date or just dismiss? I sure would have like to know the judges thoughts. Larry

18. rusty valley

rusty valley

i have lived on a gravel road for 42 years now, and the thought of "cleaning my tires" has never entered my mind, or the neighbors, or any of the other 10's of thousands of cars i've seen leave the road. you city folk get some funny ideas sometimes.

19. A Boner

A Boner

Wow, Curt R is in the Dodgeville jail.......just kidding. Must be taking a nap or something!

20. Well you know he is getting up there in age, naps are now mandatory.

21. dndrodshop

dndrodshop
    from Wales

The only result of the hearing today was to confirm a trial date of June 13th. Post hearing, out of the courthouse, follow-up discussions and planning kept us meeting until almost 5:00 pm. I'm sure Curt will keep everyone updated.

22. A Boner

A Boner

Tell me about it!

23. DODGEVILLE, WIS. HOT RODDER COURT HEARING

The "status hearing" for Brad, the guy who got the tickets from State Patrol for no hood or fenders on his 32 Ford, was held at the Iowa County Court House in Dodgeville Wis.

"A status hearing is just that to check on the status of the case. It is a time to determine if the case can be plea bargained , discovery issues , or to set the case for trial . The status date is usually not the trial date".

Brad had entered a "not guilty" plea in the past.

Two weeks ago the previous District Attorney passed away. Kinda caused some turmoil for the Court folks trying to keep everything on track. They are doing a good job.

Back to the “status hearing”. Brad was there, the judge was there, the new District Attorney was there, no State Patrol presence. The Court instructed Brad and the DA to get together and try to resolve the tickets situation. The Court said if they can not came to any agreement, they must appear in Court on June 13, 2019 at 9am to set a date for a jury trial.

The Judge or the DA gave no indication of what they thought about the legality of the tickets issued to Brad and there was not discussion about the tickets.

After the Judge set the June 13 date, everybody got up and quietly walked out of the court room. Brad and I were the last two on the way out. The Judge watched everybody walk out, began to smile and asked us "why are all those people here?" I said "we are here to support Brad, we all learned a bit more about our court system and we will return June13". She, the Judge, did not appear upset or displeased with all of us there. When we left, the court room was empty except for the people on trial.

It was a windy, rainy, foggy day at times visibility was ¼ mile or less. 20+ hot rodders and car enthusiasts showed up in Court to support Brad. Some were local, some from the Madison area, some made a 250 mile round trip.

As instructed by the Court, Brad will contact the DA and talk with him. Not knowing what the DA has to say, I don't know what direction this situation will take.

Wisconsin State Patrol has informed the Court the frame on Brad's 32 is not an original frame. What the frame has to do with this situation will probably come out when Brad has discussion with the DA.

It ain’t over yet.

Many thanks to those who showed up in support of Brad. All were respectful of the situation and the Court.

And for Brad, what do you say to him for taking the time, putting a lot on the line and going into this battle for his hot rod and Wisconsin hot rodders? He has my respect and a huge, huge thank you!

Curt R

24. Thanks Brad and best of luck to you June 13th. I wonder if they will try to say the car is reconstructed because of the frame ? Could be the angle they are trying to work.

25. A Boner

A Boner

Thanks Curt, and thanks Brad! We have your backs. Do you guys think it's time to start a "go fund me" account, and get a high horsepower lawyer? Sounds like it is probably more than a fenders and hood problem, we have going on here in Wisconsin!

26. wsdad

wsdad

I've noticed that when more fees are collected, more reasons to collect them are invented.

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Blues4U, Chappy444 and 427 sleeper like this.
  27. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Thanks for the update Curt, looking forward to hearing what happens next.

I have to say though, that CA is much more efficient at taking your money away from you, there are just 2 court dates, the first date is your arraignment date, you either plead guilty or not guilty, or request traffic school (not applicable to fix-it tickets). If you plead Not Guilty then a trial date is set, and you pay the anticipated fines & court fees and assessments up front. The second date is the trial. If the case is dismissed they will mail you a check to return the money you already gave them.

Note that each county has it's own rules, so this can vary depending on where the court is located; and if you can prove financial difficulties, or have a good story, they will work out arrangements for your payments; but make no mistake about it, they are all about the money.

28. A Boner

A Boner

Gee, was just talking to a guy the other day that was thinking of organizing a cruise to Dodgeville on Thursday June 13th! He said something about how Dodgeville is a quaint little town and all the scenic roads in the hill country that surrounds it. I'll probably see him next week or so......I'll try and get some details

29. Evers wasn't even in office when the WSP changed its interpretation and the citations in question were issued. Scott Walker was still "the boss" when this occurred. By all means email or call Evers' office and express your concerns about this change; just make sure you blame the right people when you do so, though.

Phillips and XXL__ like this.
  30. WSP's attitude is if it's not stock original it will be "reconstructed" and have to meet current year safety standards. Their current revised interpretations of Statute and Code is the angle.

Trans 305.02 Applicability.
    (3) Homemade or reconstructed vehicles registered in Wisconsin on or after January 1, 1975, shall meet the vehicle equipment standards in subchs. II, III and IV applicable to vehicles of the same type which are manufactured in the year in which the homemade or reconstructed vehicle is first registered in Wisconsin except as specifically provided. When subchs. II, III and IV make equipment standards applicable to vehicles manufactured after a certain date, the standards apply to homemade and reconstructed vehicles first registered in Wisconsin after that date.

Steel, glass, traditional, rod, custom, year and make don't make any difference. Once DSP classifies the vehicle as "reconstructed" the DMV can title the vehicle as the year, it is registered after the "reconstructed" classification has been placed on the vehicle by WSP.

Curt R