Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Any recomendations on rebuilding a cast iron power glide in L.A.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drumyn29, Apr 23, 2019.

1. drumyn29

drumyn29

AWESOME stories!

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I'm trying to wrap my head around how. If it was nail gun (nail is incorrect) related why stop mid point? Self driven, but how? Magnetic hammer head?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. When I was young and fearless (stupid); glide front seal was leaking on my mom's '61; pulled it out, put in a new seal, reinstalled it, and it leaked almost right away. Asked someone knowledgeable who in turn asked me why I didn't replace the bushing. Took the heavy thing out again, had a tranny shop install a bushing and new seal, put it back in, and no more leak. That Impala went on to live a long and full life.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  4. squirrel

squirrel

nailing near a corner, the wood split, the nail flew a ways, and ended up there. There was learning involved.

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Had a safety manager at a big cabinet shop I work at years ago. He loved giving write up's and proving a point until the day he shot himself in the face showing another person what not to do with a nail gun.

6. drumyn29

drumyn29

ouch.

7. drumyn29

drumyn29

Three questions about my cast iron daily driver that can not be down for long periods of time since it is my work truck:

Where is the vent tube location so I can inspect
    How difficult is it to change the bushing
    I'm not a transmission guy but I am somewhat knowledgeable, should I tear the whole thing apart for a full seal and gasket rebuild?

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  8. squirrel

squirrel

vent is circled.

I don't remember about the pump bushing, I think the gasket between the bellhousing and the main case, is the same piece as the gasket between the pump and the main case. So taking the pump out is kind of involved...

has some good stuff for you to watch, to see what you'd be getting into.

I overhauled my first iron PG at age 16, and it worked when I was done with it. Most kids aren't dumb enough to try it, though.

CIPGpass.jpg

saltflats likes this.
  9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

^^^Is that a 210, 4 door hardtop with fuel injection^^^? Guy say's it's a B el Air, but I do n't see the aluminum fin inserts. Talk about a rare combination if it is. All the extra linkage for RHD. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Torkwrench likes this.
  10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Good eye I missed that. I did once see a 56 210 4 door hardtop.

11. My left nut still aches when anyone mentions a cast iron PG... and they are poorly balanced, lost one off a floor jack taking it out. They're actually easy to rebuild though providing no hard parts are badly worn out.

12. drumyn29

drumyn29

I think it may be easier to pull the engine out WITH the transmissions attached.