Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How good can you make a Windsor look?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChoppaScott, May 6, 2018.

1. lol Good to see there are others that are not too crazy about the finned valve covers.

I looked at possibly changing the valve covers for my old 302 but I think I will stick with my old steel valve covers with the blue oval on them. I looked at finned covers and they just look weird with out the black and I don't care for black valve covers on a dark ford blue engine.

Now I did see there is a company I cant think of the name but Summit sells them they have old steel valve covers the old 60`s/70`s style valve cover that say "Powered by Ford" on it vs mine that just has the ford oval.

2. sunbeam

sunbeam

Sbc it a great engine why do so many people try to make it look like an early Olds or Cadillac?

3. For me its not a question of great or not. Its the simple fact that everyone runs a GM powertrain in everything just like everyone wants to run the Ford 9 inch rear in everything. It becomes unoriginal and when you see it you are just like oh another 57 chevy with a ford 9 inch rear or oh another 32 ford hotrod with a 350 sbc.

That's why if I ever finished my current projects and bought the old American Graffiti style 32 Ford Coupe kit car I was looking at I would go 180 from the movie. I would go flat black, indian blanket style interior and a hot rod 292/312 Y block with headers. Would be something you don't see and would grab attention.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  4. sunbeam

sunbeam

5. Yep those would look different. For me I am going for a clean look. Why I am going back in time on the engine setup. Im removing a lot of the bs emission stuff and going for the clean '60s look engine wise. Im still up in arms how ever about reusing my stock Ford oval steel valve covers vs running the '60s - '70s style Powered by Ford valve covers you can buy new.

6. Probably ashamed they weren't smart enough to fix the stock engine. Ford's have tighter clearances, Pontiacs and Buicks have valve train math to figure out if milling heads and the like, Caddys are also further advanced design than the chebie.

7. Well one thing I will give Chevy is you can put a 350 in a old tri five chevy as the front motor mount points were never removed from the original block design when they went to side mounts. They were kept and used for accessory bracket mounts.

Ford on the other hand you can do that with the 289-302 up to '95-'96 as the 302 block stayed the same. but you have to know rotating assembly as post '82 Ford made the switch to the 50 oz imbalance balancer and flywheel/flexplate for the 302 while the 351 kept the 28 oz imbalance that the 289-302 had up to '81. Chevy as far as I know maintained neutral balance for all their small blocks.

But still in the end I hate how it seems like the ford 9 inch and the sbc are the go to standard for anything performance/hotrod based. I don't know how many old vehicles ive seen with LS motors stuffed in them and I am like jesus cant you people be original and come up with something on your own. Hell a customer where I work at he just absolutely had to have us force a 5.0 coyote in a truck similar to mine that he has. Its like sheesh its a truck with no weight in the ass end. you could have got better driveability with a fox body era 5.0 than that big ass dohc 5.0.

8. Texas Drifter

Texas Drifter

I have to agree with you! In the early 60's, guys who had money had cars like my coupe today. I ran a "35 Ford pick-up with a Caddy engine (After I blew up the Flattie!) It was interesting stuffing that engine and tranny into the truck. Fortunately my older brother, my mentor, had a rod shop and guided me along the way. Engine selection back then was what-ever one happened to have stuffed in a corner or out in the weeds. Today, its like opinions, everyone has one. If one wants to stay period correct, have at it. Nailheads, Stude's, Olds, Caddys even in-line Buicks made it into hot rods. So, research it, find the correct parts and give it a go! Just saying!

9. powrshftr

powrshftr

[​IMG]

I think this one looks ok.
    It’s got the H/M valve covers that Crazy Steve mentioned earlier in the thread.
    This one is based on the 289/302 architecture,so a tunnel ram is available,but to use a tunnel ram on the 351 you’ll need some spacer plates for the intake.
    Valve covers interchange between these motors,so chrome 289 hi-po covers will fit (and look really nice),as well as later chromed 302 “power by Ford” stamped covers available through places like National Parts Depot.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

10. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

That's not a problem in a early 30's Ford.

13. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

If you want it to look real good put a 350 Chevy next to it

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

16. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

[​IMG]
    This will be going in my '51 Ford Vicky... one day.

Attached Files:

18. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

This thread has been revived and I read back through it, and I feel I must comment again. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! Back in 1969, when I was 18, I was lucky enough to score a OT car with a 289/271 High Performance with the factory “ dress up “ package. I would raise the hood and just marvel in the beauty of that engine and compartment. Now obviously, I’m a Ford man, but I can admire any brand of engine, if tastefully accessorized.
    One of my favorite engines, for appearance, is the old Buick engine with the valve covers straight up and down. Liked it when I first saw it in the fifties.... still like it....I own one.
    Trying to convince someone that one engine looks better than an nother, is pointless. Everyone has their likes and dislikes and it is YOUR privilege to like what you want...but it does not entitle anyone to comment negatively on what I, or any other person likes.

Bones

19. BlueOvalScrub

BlueOvalScrub

I'm loving some of these configurations!

I'm still trying to figure out the drivetrain I'm going to stuff in the Fairlane...but all I know is I love the look of dual quads and either cast finish ribbed aluminum covers or gold painted steel (like the HiPo Ford 289s & FEs). Of course I'm thinking of running a dual snorkel air cleaner assembly (with ducts), so the covers would be largely hidden anyways. :confused:

20. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D How to make a Windsor look good?Now that depends on weather it`s a "House of Henry"Windsor,or a"House of Windsor"of the English variety:rolleyes::p.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  21. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Really? Wow, this is pretty harsh. WTF??? @Fabber McGee I think you owe me an apology.

22. One thing not mentioned enough is the '62-65 Windsor valve covers (and many of the early cast aluminum ones) don't have enough room under them if you want to run roller rockers unless you use spacers.

23. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

I think the engine appearance should correspond with the body style. My 50 Monarch with a 1988 Ford 5.0 roller engine, aluminum heads, MSD , Crane Cam, Roller Rockers. Polished aluminum valve covers powder coated Silver to match the Breather.

IMG_2515.JPG IMG_2480.JPG

24. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Looks real nice and very neat!

Bones

25. ChoppaScott

ChoppaScott

As the OP I'm going for a sixties look. Big n Smalls, tunnel ram etc..

I just saw that Offy are about to produce valve covers for the SBF. Quite tasty if I do say so myself.. Screenshot_20190227-133929~02.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

27. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

347 with 1,71 rockers had to find valve covers

28. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thread needs a bump.
    Gurney 63 Lotus 29.jpg
    Gurney 63 Lotus 29 2.jpg
    Gurney 63 Lotus 29 3.jpg
    lotus 29 ford thinwall 2.JPG

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  29. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

My roller 5.0 with a little paint splashed on it. Plug wires aren't cut to final length yet.
    SPark

engine16.jpg engine14.jpg engine17.jpg engine18.jpg

GordonC, sidevalve8ba and Phillips like this.
  30. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

It does look and run top shelf I’m sure , but the distributer looks to modern for my liking . But to each his own , it looks great !